Speculation: 2019-20 Expected Blackhawks Roster Part 4 - To Eberle or Not to Eberle - that is the question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Panarin = Yes

Everyone else = No

Unless your signing a marquee FA like Panarin we shouldn't be handing out NMC but Stanley being Stanley will probably give everyone a NMC or strong NTC

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
We don't need SCORING FORWARDS... We can score goals. Healthy, playing to minimum potential we have:

Kane - 35-40g/50-60A
Toews - 25-35g/30-40A
Debrincat - 30-40g/30-40A
Strome - 15-25g/30-40A
Saad - 20-25g/20-30A

Caggiula, AA, Kahun can be 30-40pt players.

Kampf is also very good. Apparently Kubalik is good too.

Perlini can be a 15-20g guy.

Not to mention on defense we have Keith who can put up 35-40pts and Gus who seems like a legit PPQB, which should be good for 45+ pts minimum. Seabrook has a good shot, and Jokiharju has upside.

GET players who can play DEFENSE and complement our core.

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
We can always add forwards I think, D are hard to come by and unavailable and if there is a big injury we need other guys that can step up and play in the top 6 for a bit. I LOVE the idea of signing Duchene for 2-3 years he would fit amazing on the second line with Kane and then a Saad who can take care of business in the D zone and in front of the net. Also Duchene can win draws. Only issue is that Kane slows the game down whereas Duchene likes to speed it up more. We have the cap space this offseason so let’s use it and improve to try and get into playoffs, Duchene can put us over the hump IMO

Reactions: Geoist

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
No NMC for anybody, not even Panarin. At best, I'd offer a limited (say 5-7 teams a player can outright say no to a trade to) NMC but no full NMC.

If it was up to me full NMC/NTC would be banned from negotiations.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
No NMC for anybody, not even Panarin. At best, I'd offer a limited (say 5-7 teams a player can outright say no to a trade to) NMC but no full NMC.

If it was up to me full NMC/NTC would be banned from negotiations.
NMC saves money. If it's about the Cap Hit you always have to consider it.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I'd take that money and sign Gus with it instead. Way better use of the money. No thanks.

During the regular season, Nick Leddy was pretty much neck and neck with Pulock for most EV TOI on the Islanders.

Leddy was the #1 defenseman in even strength ice time the two previous seasons.

Can we get by for the next few years with Gustafsson as our #1 defenseman, like Leddy is/was for the Islanders? Maybe pair him with Jokiharju as our top-pairing?

That would allow Keith to take on a little lighter of a load on the second-pair, which could end up making him even stronger. (I'm putting this in here because I really don't want to get into a Keith debate, I'm asking about Gustafsson independent of Keith to assess Gus' value to this team)

Either way, is Gustafsson our #1 D stopgap in a Leddy-type way until Boqvist or Byram knock him out of that spot a few years from now?

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
During the regular season, Nick Leddy was pretty much neck and neck with Pulock for most EV TOI on the Islanders.

Leddy was the #1 defenseman in even strength ice time the two previous seasons.

Can we get by for the next few years with Gustafsson as our #1 defenseman, like Leddy is/was for the Islanders? Maybe pair him with Jokiharju as our top-pairing?

That would allow Keith to take on a little lighter of a load on the second-pair, which could end up making him even stronger. (I'm putting this in here because I really don't want to get into a Keith debate, I'm asking about Gustafsson independent of Keith to assess Gus' value to this team)

Either way, is Gustafsson our #1 D stopgap in a Leddy-type way until Boqvist or Byram knock him out of that spot a few years from now?
This icetime split doesnt work to give Keith easier time. If they play together again the icetime is gonna be high but some less matchup duties again.

Because if Gus plays a lot of icetime and Keith does... who does Murphy or whoever pair with to matchup against top lines? I dont think that style comp fits

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
This icetime split doesnt work to give Keith easier time. If they play together again the icetime is gonna be high but some less matchup duties again.

Because if Gus plays a lot of icetime and Keith does... who does Murphy or whoever pair with to matchup against top lines? I dont think that style comp fits

I didn't mean to confuse this with pairings or partners.

I'm just simply asking whether we should be viewing Gustafsson as our stopgap #1 D for sake of his value to the team, and in the debate of whether he needs to be traded or re-signed.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'd circle back on Carolina.

They're going to spending a lot on Aho, and they have kids coming up on D.

Hamilton and Slavin aren't going anywhere, but Faulk and Pesce are both possibilities IMO. I'd stay away from Faulk, but Pesce at 4mil is an interesting option. It at least buys you time. You'd have no trouble trading him again in a few years if one of the kids push him out of the lineup... or maybe he's so good, you look to move Murphy (who has fewer years and less cap, so by the time somebody needs to get traded, he's be like 2x3.8 contract, which is basically nothing).

borednow

Jan 3, 2019
As far as I'm concerned we should be spending zero money/assets on acquiring defensemen unless we get a sweetheart deal. We should be able to resign Gus at a reasonable rate and have lots of high-quality help coming on the backend who will be pushing for top 4 minutes in the near future. We're not in a position to contend next season anyway so no point in going for a quick fix.

Reactions: Geoist

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Some thoughts after the first round, and how it may impact expectations for next year.

1. I think it’s crazy to believe this team can’t be a contender next year. Look at the teams still alive, how far are the Hawks talent-wise from some of these teams (Islanders, Canes, Stars, Avs, BJs)? I’ll concede they aren’t close to the Knights, Lightning, and Caps on paper, but all three of those teams are at home the same way the Hawks are now. With a better defense, the Hawks could be a contender like these surprise teams.

2. So called “one-line” teams aren’t getting rolled over, and instead are upsetting deeper teams. Colorado, Dallas, and to a lesser extent (because they now have a bit more depth) Boston are all now onto the second round despite being dismissed earlier as “one-line” teams. Being a one-line team doesn’t seem like the playoff death sentence it was just a few years ago.

Last edited:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Some thoughts after the first round, and how it may impact expectations for next year.

1. I think it’s crazy to believe this team can’t be a contender next year. Look at the teams still alive, how far are the Hawks talent-wise from some of these teams (Islanders, Canes, Stars, Avs, BJs)? I’ll concede they aren’t close to the Knights, Lightning, and Caps on paper, but all three of those teams are at home the same way the Hawks are now. With a better defense, the Hawks could be a contender like these surprise teams.

2. So called “one-line” teams aren’t getting rolled over, and instead are upsetting deeper teams. Colorado, Dallas, and to a lesser extent (because they now have a bit more depth) Boston are all now onto the second round despite being dismissed earlier as “one-line” teams. Being a one-line team doesn’t seem like the playoff death sentence it was just a few years ago.
yea but theres a reason that its considered a weird playoffs right now. because this is not the norm. usually its maybe 1 or 2 wildcard teams. weird year this year but i can see a San Jose Bruins final after all the first round craziness.

btw go jackets

Last edited:

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
With no major forward additions:

Kahun-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Kubalik
Perlini-Anisimov-Saad
Caggiula-Kampf-Highmore

Kane continues to be sheltered by playing with Toews, also Kahun’s numbers show he’s more defensively responsible than you’d think.

The DeBrincat-Strome line gets sheltered by getting heavy offensive zone starts. I don’t think one two-way forward is going to suddenly make that line defensively responsible, so I’d rather not waste a guy there for that losing battle. Put Kubalik there and give him the easiest opportunity to produce offense in his first season.

Last edited:

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I see a lot of call for Dzingel, probably the most common name after bringing back Panarin. To me Panarin is too costly given our cap structure and adds an ingredient we have a lot of in the lineup (smallish, skilled, primarily offensive). Dzingel to me is again a similar ingredient (all be it at a cheaper rate). To me, if you are going to invest 4.5-5 million per into Dzingel, I would rather chip in another 500K-1 million and grab Andres Lee or Brock Nelson from the Islanders.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I see a lot of call for Dzingel, probably the most common name after bringing back Panarin. To me Panarin is too costly given our cap structure and adds an ingredient we have a lot of in the lineup (smallish, skilled, primarily offensive). Dzingel to me is again a similar ingredient (all be it at a cheaper rate). To me, if you are going to invest 4.5-5 million per into Dzingel, I would rather chip in another 500K-1 million and grab Andres Lee or Brock Nelson from the Islanders.

Assuming they're even available, I agree on Anders Lee, but I'm not quite as sold on Nelson.

1. I don't think anybody is disagreeing with you in principle, it's just a difference of opinion on just HOW MUCH better the Blackhawks D needs to get, what the realistic options for improving is, and what a realistic timetable is. Almost all the teams left are at least very good defensively, while the 2019 Blackhawks are statistically one of the worst defensive teams of the cap era. So yes, we can contend if we improve our D. A lot. If we improve our D a ****ing LOT.

2) As parity increases, every team is going to have weaknesses, and typically that manifests as a lack of depth at one position (or weak goaltending). The teams you listed aren't really similar though. Colorado is leaning on one line for offensive firepower, Dallas has stacked one line with their best players, but the team as a whole (including those players) plays a very defensive, low-event style, and relies on defense and great goaltending from Bishop to win (though they did win one lop-sided 5-0 game...my recollection is that their young D drove most of the offense that night, I may be mistaken). As far as Boston, I'm not sure anybody wrote them off as a one-line team? Less offensively deep than Toronto certainly, but they have depth... and it took Cassidy 1 and a half games to break up that top line. And I'd argue they were slightly favored over Toronto regardless. I don't think they fit the bill honestly.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Assuming they're even available, I agree on Anders Lee, but I'm not quite as sold on Nelson.

1. I don't think anybody is disagreeing with you in principle, it's just a difference of opinion on just HOW MUCH better the Blackhawks D needs to get, what the realistic options for improving is, and what a realistic timetable is. Almost all the teams left are at least very good defensively, while the 2019 Blackhawks are statistically one of the worst defensive teams of the cap era. So yes, we can contend if we improve our D. A lot. If we improve our D a ****ing LOT.

2) As parity increases, every team is going to have weaknesses, and typically that manifests as a lack of depth at one position (or weak goaltending). The teams you listed aren't really similar though. Colorado is leaning on one line for offensive firepower, Dallas has stacked one line with their best players, but the team as a whole (including those players) plays a very defensive, low-event style, and relies on defense and great goaltending from Bishop to win (though they did win one lop-sided 5-0 game...my recollection is that their young D drove most of the offense that night, I may be mistaken). As far as Boston, I'm not sure anybody wrote them off as a one-line team? Less offensively deep than Toronto certainly, but they have depth... and it took Cassidy 1 and a half games to break up that top line. And I'd argue they were slightly favored over Toronto regardless. I don't think they fit the bill honestly.

Fair points, and I don’t have much to argue.

On the improving a lot defensively point, I think the Islanders have shown that you can take a huge leap from one year to the next without significant additions. We just need a coach (in our case it will be an assistant) to come in and rework the defense and penalty kill.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

On the improving a lot defensively point, I think the Islanders have shown that you can take a huge leap from one year to the next without significant additions. We just need a coach (in our case it will be an assistant) to come in and rework the defense and penalty kill.

Good point.

Joe Scaduto

Jun 24, 2018
With no major forward additions:

Kahun-Toews-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Kubalik
Perlini-Anisimov-Saad
Caggiula-Kampf-Highmore

Kane continues to be sheltered by playing with Toews, also Kahun’s numbers show he’s more defensively responsible than you’d think.

The DeBrincat-Strome line gets sheltered by getting heavy offensive zone starts. I don’t think one two-way forward is going to suddenly make that line defensively responsible, so I’d rather not waste a guy there for that losing battle. Put Kubalik there and give him the easiest opportunity to produce offense in his first season.
Phillip Kurashev is my dark horse prospect who could make this team this year and be a top 6 forward and i would not be surprised if he plays on line with Toews and Kane

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Phillip Kurashev is my dark horse prospect who could make this team this year and be a top 6 forward and i would not be surprised if he plays on line with Toews and Kane
Kurashev is no doubt a very good prospect, but I dont see him making the roster until atleast the 20/21 season. Especially considering we could potentially have 2 if not 3 forwards coming over from Europe in Kubalik, Wedin, and Mikheyev.
To make the hawks roster this season he would have to really impress big time in camp and pre-season.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

We also need a healthy, playing well, Crawford. Robin Lehner (and Greiss) was huge for the Isles this year, instead of the inconsistent goaltending they had last year.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
What I want for this team is for Strome to hit the weight room, let AA go, and get a gritty 3C+ while demoting Seabrook in any fashion possible.

In that vein:

Cags-Toews-Kane
Cat-Strome-X
Saad-X-Kahun
Perlini etc..

I don't like the "Cags isn't top 6" silliness as he complimented Toews/Kane brilliantly with his hard work on the boards and around the net regardless of his pedigree. Strome needs to mature a bit, strengthen up, and that line needs a guy who can keep the puck well under duress. A great 3C would tip the scales for us plus buy Saad a golden fish bowl.

The D is more open, but we could strike gold depending on how well the first few games plus training cap go for the kids. Plenty of young D in the playoffs this year looking swell.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Grab Frolik+Kylington from CGY. No other changes, maybe some good 4th liners to compete with the kids. I like Tom Kuhnhackl and Oscar Lindberg as some buy lows.

Caggiula - Toews - Kane
Debrincat - Strome - Frolik
Saad - Anisimov - Kahun
Lindberg - Kampf - Kuhnhackl
Hayden/Perlini/Sikura/Kubalik

Keith-Jokiharju
Kylington-Murphy
Gustafsson-Seabrook
Koekkoek/Forsling/Dahlstrom

Crawford
Delia

Status