Speculation: 2019-20 Expected Blackhawks Roster Part 4 - To Eberle or Not to Eberle - that is the question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
completely spitballing here out of boredom...but if the hawks wanted to go all in on the Toews/Kane/Keith window for one more cup, would Malkin be of any interest...feel like him and kane would be lethal and hawks would have a nasty forward group with money left to spend on defense if they wanted to add say edler...trade being 3OA+Anisimov for Malkin

upload_2019-4-26_11-55-13.png

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
completely spitballing here out of boredom...but if the hawks wanted to go all in on the Toews/Kane/Keith window for one more cup, would Malkin be of any interest...feel like him and kane would be lethal and hawks would have a nasty forward group with money left to spend on defense if they wanted to add say edler...trade being 3OA+Anisimov for Malkin

View attachment 221411
I’m pretty sure Malkin is going back to Russia if JR attempts to trade him. He has nothing left to prove in the NHL.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
If Bowman is looking into free agency, it should be for a defensively responsible and gritty winger to play with Cat and Strome.

That way that line doesn’t have to be sheltered as much. And we saw Strome moved away from Cat, he still produced while not having to be sheltered as much.

JLarucci23

May 22, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yea, no way in hell I'm moving for Malkin. Now if you were to tell me 3OA is on the table in a deal to get Marner's RFA rights... Boyyy I'd have to think long and hard about that.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
AD mentioned something similar to this a while back and it looks like the best option. Make a trade with Tampa for Callahan and one of their mid-priced wingers (Miller, Palat, Gourde) for Gustafsson + ??? 2019 2nd rounder or Kurashev. Tampa has a major salary crunch coming and they need to move a player to sign Point and will lose some dmen so they would have a need for Gus. Callahan's deal is for only 1 more season so it would not affect 'Cat and Strome deals.

I know you don't want to give up Gus but Jokiharju will be a full-time top 4 dman next year with others coming in future years. And getting one of those Tampa forwards would solidify your top 6 sliding down someone like Saad, Sikura, or Kahun to your 3rd thus strengthening your top 3 lines overall.

Another thought is Toronto. Gus at 1.2 would look really good for them if they are losing Gardiner. Johnsson or Kapanen would be ideal targets if they become available.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
AD mentioned something similar to this a while back and it looks like the best option. Make a trade with Tampa for Callahan and one of their mid-priced wingers (Miller, Palat, Gourde) for Gustafsson + ??? 2019 2nd rounder or Kurashev. Tampa has a major salary crunch coming and they need to move a player to sign Point and will lose some dmen so they would have a need for Gus. Callahan's deal is for only 1 more season so it would not affect 'Cat and Strome deals.

I know you don't want to give up Gus but Jokiharju will be a full-time top 4 dman next year with others coming in future years. And getting one of those Tampa forwards would solidify your top 6 sliding down someone like Saad, Sikura, or Kahun to your 3rd thus strengthening your top 3 lines overall.

Another thought is Toronto. Gus at 1.2 would look really good for them if they are losing Gardiner. Johnsson or Kapanen would be ideal targets if they become available.

Callahan and Palat/Miller/Gourde

for Gus, a 2nd rounder, AND Kurashev?

Good god no.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Either- you would have to give up more than 1 year of Gus

I think we just need to keep Gus. Next year we are HOPING that Joker will actually be ready. None of the other prospects will be ready next year. Say Joker struggles again, then you have plugs like Kookoo and Seabrook playing top 4 minutes.

In fact, I'd try to extend Gus now so we he can help our defensive depth while we ease the prospects into the lineup over the next 2-3 years.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Either- you would have to give up more than 1 year of Gus

LOL- I did put an "or" in there.

Sorry, I can't read apparently. I still wouldn't do the deal even with it being or vs and. I don't think I'd even do Gus straight up.

Palat had 34 points, Palat had 48, Miller had 47. Gus as a defenseman outscored all of them, by a nice chunk no less. Do any of those 3 do so much to offset that difference while also further depleting our current blue line AND taking on a bad contract to help Tampa out?

I don't think so. All of these guys a 26-28 years old, and it's arguable that Gus improves more than any of them being a defenseman and their adjustment to the NHL game being slower vs a F.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
In fact, I'd try to extend Gus now so we he can help our defensive depth while we ease the prospects into the lineup over the next 2-3 years.

Trading Gus is always contingent on whether you can sign him now. I would be surprised if he signs for something we can live with. He's 1 year from UFA and he'll have a big year next season.

And to edit my other post- after looking closely at some stats, I probably overvalued some of those Tampa forwards.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Take Gus out of the lineup and your blue line looks like this?

Keith-Murphy
Forsling-Joker
Kookoo-Seabrook?

Yuck.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Trading Gus is always contingent on whether you can sign him now. I would be surprised if he signs for something we can live with. He's 1 year from UFA and he'll have a big year next season.

And to edit my other post- after looking closely at some stats, I probably overvalued some of those Tampa forwards.

Gus is interesting to me in that he might take the long term security now vs betting on himself and avoiding the risk of a career altering injury. Obviously no one here knows which way he'd lean, but the argument can easily be made he agrees to an extension now to lock that money up and be set for life.

I wonder if he'd bite on like a 4 year 4-5M deal.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Gus is interesting to me in that he might take the long term security now vs betting on himself and avoiding the risk of a career altering injury. Obviously no one here knows which way he'd lean, but the argument can easily be made he agrees to an extension now to lock that money up and be set for life.

I wonder if he'd bite on like a 4 year 4-5M deal.

It's definitely a gamble.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
It's definitely a gamble.

Even if he doesn't extend now, I say still keep him and push for a playoff spot next year. If you move him now and don't bring in a replacement of sorts, this team is at best a bubble playoff team. With Gus and an improve Joker (hopefully) and a playoff spot is definitely possible. I don't think we can rely on the 3rd OA making a huge impact next year. So keep Gus and sign a guy similar to those guys you mentioned like Brock Nelson without having to give anything up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad