2019-20 Dallas Stars Regular Season Discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
So who are the top 6 UFA's next season we could/should pursue?

Martin Hanzal. :sarcasm:

There's honestly not a lot available on the market, especially for the weak center position we currently have. Ideally they find someone who can keep pace with Hintz and The Menace. The big FAs are Hoffman and Hall. I don't want any part of that bidding war if Pavelski costs 7per.

I would take a flyer on Galchenyuk if Janmark walks. Nill needs to stand pretty pat for 20-21 and probably just replace Corey Perry with a rookie and sign a middle six guy. Polak and Sekera should be relatively replaceable, but I'd see about re-upping Polak and replacing Sekera with Harley.

The big UFA fiesta will be 21-22.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
So who are the top 6 UFA's next season we could/should pursue?

It's pretty hard to say at this point. The best options would likely be via trade.

Before today's news about the cap going up to $84 million, I was really wondering about Anthony Cirelli in Tampa Bay. If the cap does go to only 84 million, TB has $7.8 million in cap space. They only have 3 defensemen signed, and Sergachev is due a significant raise. A cap at $82.5 million made it seem like they could be forced to trade Cirelli, but the latest news makes it easier for them to get it done. Right now, the Johnson and Gourde contracts are hurting them. They're both being outplayed by Cirelli.

I was just looking at that J.T. Miller trade they made last summer. That would be something I'd be happy to do for Cirelli.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It's pretty hard to say at this point. The best options would likely be via trade.

Before today's news about the cap going up to $84 million, I was really wondering about Anthony Cirelli in Tampa Bay. If the cap does go to only 84 million, TB has $7.8 million in cap space. They only have 3 defensemen signed, and Sergachev is due a significant raise. A cap at $82.5 million made it seem like they could be forced to trade Cirelli, but the latest news makes it easier for them to get it done. Right now, the Johnson and Gourde contracts are hurting them. They're both being outplayed by Cirelli.

I was just looking at that J.T. Miller trade they made last summer. That would be something I'd be happy to do for Cirelli.

I can’t imagine they’re eager to move Cirelli. He seems like a guy you find a way to keep, even if it means taking a bad loss on finding a way to move one of their NTCs. Who knows, though.

Cernak is also likely to be a cap victim for them.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I can’t imagine they’re eager to move Cirelli. He seems like a guy you find a way to keep, even if it means taking a bad loss on finding a way to move one of their NTCs. Who knows, though.

Cernak is also likely to be a cap victim for them.
They could probably just trade Johnson, Killorn, or maybe Gourde before losing either of those two guys.

I'm not sure if they can all make the roster next year, but having Robertson, Dellandrea, and Harley on the team would give them some huge flexibility.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Oh absolutely. He is just one that I thought about would be excellent to add if they felt the need to make a move.

To your point, I do expect they could probably get someone to take Johnson, and outside of that, they could probably move Killorn for a pretty good package, capitalize on his goal scoring outburst since I doubt it's going to become the norm for him.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
They could probably just trade Johnson, Killorn, or maybe Gourde before losing either of those two guys.

I'm not sure if they can all make the roster next year, but having Robertson, Dellandrea, and Harley on the team would give them some huge flexibility.

Oh absolutely. He is just one that I thought about would be excellent to add if they felt the need to make a move.

To your point, I do expect they could probably get someone to take Johnson, and outside of that, they could probably move Killorn for a pretty good package, capitalize on his goal scoring outburst since I doubt it's going to become the norm for him.

The big issue, obviously, is getting them to waive. It's not ridiculous to see all of them using their clauses and forcing Tampa to keep them. There isn't really a great reason for them to leave, anyway.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Martin Hanzal. :sarcasm:

There's honestly not a lot available on the market, especially for the weak center position we currently have. Ideally they find someone who can keep pace with Hintz and The Menace. The big FAs are Hoffman and Hall. I don't want any part of that bidding war if Pavelski costs 7per.

I would take a flyer on Galchenyuk if Janmark walks. Nill needs to stand pretty pat for 20-21 and probably just replace Corey Perry with a rookie and sign a middle six guy. Polak and Sekera should be relatively replaceable, but I'd see about re-upping Polak and replacing Sekera with Harley.

The big UFA fiesta will be 21-22.
Why would you re-sign Polak. I think he is a great guy but he is done. If anything bring Sekera back cheaply and let him play with oleksiak or Harley.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Why would you re-sign Polak. I think he is a great guy but he is done. If anything bring Sekera back cheaply and let him play with oleksiak or Harley.

Because Sekera plays LD, and Polak right. Harley is a LD. We're one RHD short of a decent backend, and I do not want Fedun to have regular ice time.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Sekera can also play RD, and RD vs. LD doesn't mean a great deal when one is clearly much weaker than the other. Polak isn't a Top 6 defender on a good team anymore. I'm not sure he's a Top 6 D on most teams.

You don't sign a guy like him over Sekera who is playing really good hockey because he happens to shoot right.

On that topic, Oleksiak can also play RD. You have options ... more than enough to not make a poor choice to sign a guy because of his handedness.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Still, Roman is not the answer moving forward. Was slow when he got here, is slower now. One of the prospects is probably the better option if they can't find a suitable third pair RHD. Looks like Fedun, Ceccione, and Scarlett are our only RHD in Texas, so maybe they do have to go out and find someone with a few years experience.

Part of this all depends on how we do in the PO. If we get one round further, we probably resign Dobby and find more experience at D and F. If we go out in the first round vs. Avs or Blues, we might consider a mini-rebuild and accept some young ones for a year while we accumulate players. Unless they figure Benn and Seguin will continue to decline and then they will go all out, a la, the last of the Modano and Zubie years, probably to little avail.

Reactions: hcash97

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
They do prefer the correct handedness, so its not that unreasonable. It's just that I think Polak is about done. I think the Stars have traded D for shooting side one for one before. If they don't like Fedun or their other righties, then yes, go get someone. But it will likely be someone not much different than Fedun. We are lucky to have one second pair quality D on the third pair now, maybe two (Jamie O and Sekera) but it is a bit of a luxury that most teams don't have, and probably a lower priority than a scorer or resigning Dobby if possible.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sekera has played well on the right side much better than Polak. Handedness only matters when the player is actually bad at playing on his off-side.

Heiskanen plays right side as well when needed and i don't think anybody wanted Polak playing right side over him.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Sekera has played well on the right side much better than Polak. Handedness only matters when the player is actually bad at playing on his off-side.

Heiskanen plays right side as well when needed and i don't think anybody wanted Polak playing right side over him.
Agreed. It's time to let Polak walk this off-season. He was a great "stop gap" for 1.5 years, while Johns was out. But, he's no longer needed on this roster and, as a great team player and relatively decent bottom-pairing player, he deserves to try and get some regular time on another team.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Glad to hear the cap gets a bit of a bump this offseason. The re-signings of Faksa, Gurianov, and Hintz are going to be very interesting. Do we get them on short term or long term. I’m not overly interested in going big game hunting in UFA. I like Pavelski, but at 7M we would have been better off keeping Nuke at 3M. This offseason looks to be even weaker. Keep Faksa unless there is a really good offer. Having a shut down guy is important to this system we are lucky to have two guys to fill that role.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Glad to hear the cap gets a bit of a bump this offseason. The re-signings of Faksa, Gurianov, and Hintz are going to be very interesting. Do we get them on short term or long term. I’m not overly interested in going big game hunting in UFA. I like Pavelski, but at 7M we would have been better off keeping Nuke at 3M. This offseason looks to be even weaker. Keep Faksa unless there is a really good offer. Having a shut down guy is important to this system we are lucky to have two guys to fill that role.
I think trading radulov might be a good option this offseason . It would give us some good cap space and he seems to be going down hill a bit this season .

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I would move Radulov if you could as well. Likely won't get much for him but it clears space for a young player or another acquisition. I guess if it's a young player like Robertson you gotta hope they contribute.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I have this idea of Radulov + Harley + 1st for Huberdeau... How off am I? I can't see Nill ever doing it but it seems okay to me...

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Trading Radulov is a good idea, but there's room for Robertson without subtracting Rads. Just for instance ....

Benn-Seguin-Robertson
Hintz-Dickinson-Gurianov
Kiviranta/Caamano-Pavelski-Radulov
Cogliano-Faksa-Comeau
Dowling

Not saying those should be the lines, just showing that even without making a single move and only re-signing RFAs, there's reason to expect Robertson in the lineup next season.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I have this idea of Radulov + Harley + 1st for Huberdeau... How off am I? I can't see Nill ever doing it but it seems okay to me...

I think it's pretty far off. I don't even think this would work, but you're probably at minimum including Hintz to that package ... not subbing something out.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
When I first started thinking about Radulov as a trade chip after noticing his contract structure, and then the rumor broke on trade deadline day about Parise to the Islanders ... I did have a thought.

Bill Guerin did not sign Mats Zuccarello, and he seems pretty poised to make sweeping changes. Zuccarello is 1 year younger than Radulov, but he's signed for 2 more years.

Radulov: 2 remaining seasons at $6.25 million
Zuccarello: 4 remaining seasons at $6 million

I think it's fair to say that 2 big reasons Nill avoided Zucc's most recent contract was the 1st round pick they would have lost, but the term obviously was a concern. Even with the extra term, I think if you could replace Radulov with him, it would be worth the move, and the extra term would mean you could probably do an even swap or even maybe pick up an extra pick (likely a mid round or lower).

The term is definitely a potential risk, but you already know he fits well with the team, especially Hintz, and he clicked really well on the first PP unit as well. He's probably a better fit than any UFA this year as well, and he'd be cheaper than those UFAs.

Rads can only block a trade to 15 teams. There's a chance that Minnesota could make that list so it's not a given. Zucc currently has a full NMC, but there is some reason to believe he'd be comfortable coming back to Dallas. If Rads did block a trade to Minnesota, you'd have 16 other teams you could move him to, and you could acquire Zucc in a separate trade.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
That's bold. I have proven myself to be a fairly poor judge of trade value on these boards, so I won't comment on that. What I will say is that I don't think this trade is a good idea until the Stars system changes to take greater advantage of the skill on the roster. Bringing in another PPG player won't be that helpful under the current one, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad