2019-20 Dallas Stars Regular Season Discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I don't think that's entirely accurate.

The only time a team has the choice to honor a clause or not is when the player signed that deal prior to gaining Group 3 rights (ie. 7 years in the league or 27 years old as of June 30). Example being PK Subban, he signs a major deal with the Habs with a no trade that would've started July 1 2016. But he got traded on June 29th and the Preds elected not to honor the clause.

So we're still honoring Cogliano's M-NTC, never had the choice otherwise. So for example, we could trade Lindell and his new team wouldn't have to honor his NMC when it comes into effect in a couple years, but any team acquiring Radulov would still need to honor the NMC.

Nill has consistently honored movement clauses, and TSN mentioned Monday as well that the acquiring team chooses to honor the clause or not. They didn't say that it was limited by the age of the player either. P.K. Subban was traded to a team that very rarely gives out clauses so it would make sense that they wouldn't honor it.

I"m not saying I'm entirely certain for sure in this case, but I am saying TSN did bring up when discussing guys with clauses during the TDL show.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
All I said was he was tied with him in goals . Barzal is obviously still better right now but guryanov was considered a bust by many and a lot of people didn’t think he would ever amount to anything .

That makes sense. It was very clear previously, but I do agree that he's vindicated to some extent the Dallas scouts who reached for a guy. They'll never by totally vindicated though because of Barzal.

It's a deficiency in their scouting I hope they're working on. They tend to overlook, underrate, or just not like skilled players. Dylan Larkin, Mathew Barzal, and Kyle Connor all come to mind.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
That makes sense. It was very clear previously, but I do agree that he's vindicated to some extent the Dallas scouts who reached for a guy. They'll never by totally vindicated though because of Barzal.

It's a deficiency in their scouting I hope they're working on. They tend to overlook, underrate, or just not like skilled players. Dylan Larkin, Mathew Barzal, and Kyle Connor all come to mind.

Larkin and Barzal are especially odd to me as they seem to really embody what Nill looks for in draftees. Forwards are also generally a bit easier to project than defenders, so if things are close, I’d hope they’d err on the side of the forward.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Larkin and Barzal are especially odd to me as they seem to really embody what Nill looks for in draftees. Forwards are also generally a bit easier to project than defenders, so if things are close, I’d hope they’d err on the side of the forward.

It's like they tried to over-correct after drafting for need in 2014 even if they refuse to admit that is what they did. Even that's a stretch though because center was a weak position in the prospect pool. They just really, really went overboard in 2014 in terms of need.

As a group, they're not as bad as we make them out to be, but there is a lot of room for improvement. Maybe it's just because he's a terrible interviewer or maybe him trying to pump the tires of his picks makes him come off bad ... but there's just something I don't love about McDonnell. I would not mind seeing a change there, but he and Nill seem way to close for that to happen.

Starsfansfromqc

Sep 8, 2018
Hope for a a win tonight! I'm sure the team remind the last game between them and don't want to do the same tonight.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Denis Gurianov's 20th goal of the season should have earned him a $212,500 A bonus. One of the potential A bonuses I had been watching for him because I incorrectly assumed he wouldn't be in contention is +/-. If a forward on an ELC with A bonuses plays a minimum of 42 games and finishes Top 3 among forwards on his team in +/-, he is eligible for an A bonus.

Prior to the start of this game, Gurianov was +5 and tied for 3rd with Pavelski. That breakaway goal just made him +6. Dickinson's +1 tonight so far just put him in a tie for Radulov with +8.

Back on 2/19 against Phoenix, Heiskanen picked up his 25th assist which is an A bonus of $212,500. With the goal last game, he's on pace for 10 goals ... another A bonus. He's currently on pace for 42 points (40 points is an A bonus for D). Finishing Top 4 in aggregate or per game ice time ... A bonus. He also currently has 0.52 points per game ... A bonus is 0.49 points per game. He's +15 which is +6 to the D closest to him ... another A bonus.

The only A bonus that Heiskanen isn't on pace to meet is blocked shots. You have to finish Top 2 among D. He's 3rd with 79, and Polak has 91. Even Bowness does the logical thing and give Sekera the full time 6th D spot he's clearly earned, it's possible Heiskanen could catch Polak.

The good news with Heiskanen is you can't earn more than 4 A bonuses. Even if he hits 6 like it looks like he could ... he's capped at $850,000 total.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Also ... I just wanted to point out how useless +/- is .... Radulov leads the team, and Gurianov is currently 3rd.

insomniaddict

Jan 9, 2020
Finland
At this rate it's likely we'll face the Blues in the first round without the home ice advantage. I'm not complaining though. If you wanna be the best, you gotta beat the best.

Honestly though, Avs are on a near unstoppable streak right now, led by their rookie goalie Francouz and my prediction is they'll win the division by 2-3 points so then we'd just gotta face our nemesis, the Blues right away. Would be an interesting series given what happened between us last year.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
We'll see how things go in March. Stars played a ton of road games in February and did reasonably well . Now the home heavy stretch begins. We'll see if Avs and Blues can keep winning like this. Still a full month + 1 week to go.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Pretty solid month for the Stars offensively.

They scored 3 or more goals in 12 of their 15 games. PP was really good too

Unfortunately, the PK was one of the worst in the NHL and the Stars also gave up 3 or more goals in 8 of their 15 games. They only won 2 of those games

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Man we do have a generous schedule in March.

10 of 14 at home, the 4 away games Nashville, Arizona, Vegas and Chicago. Nothing overly scary about that could win 2 or 3.

Importantly, those 4 trips are low travel (for Dallas standards)

Could win 11 of 14 in March, round out our schedule with the california trip who could all have the white towel up by then

We really could win 13 of our last 17 as a minimium.

In track for around 107 pts if we play well.

Who knows maybe it could be good enough for 2nd in central.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Denis Gurianov's 20th goal of the season should have earned him a $212,500 A bonus. One of the potential A bonuses I had been watching for him because I incorrectly assumed he wouldn't be in contention is +/-. If a forward on an ELC with A bonuses plays a minimum of 42 games and finishes Top 3 among forwards on his team in +/-, he is eligible for an A bonus.

Prior to the start of this game, Gurianov was +5 and tied for 3rd with Pavelski. That breakaway goal just made him +6. Dickinson's +1 tonight so far just put him in a tie for Radulov with +8.

Back on 2/19 against Phoenix, Heiskanen picked up his 25th assist which is an A bonus of $212,500. With the goal last game, he's on pace for 10 goals ... another A bonus. He's currently on pace for 42 points (40 points is an A bonus for D). Finishing Top 4 in aggregate or per game ice time ... A bonus. He also currently has 0.52 points per game ... A bonus is 0.49 points per game. He's +15 which is +6 to the D closest to him ... another A bonus.

The only A bonus that Heiskanen isn't on pace to meet is blocked shots. You have to finish Top 2 among D. He's 3rd with 79, and Polak has 91. Even Bowness does the logical thing and give Sekera the full time 6th D spot he's clearly earned, it's possible Heiskanen could catch Polak.

The good news with Heiskanen is you can't earn more than 4 A bonuses. Even if he hits 6 like it looks like he could ... he's capped at $850,000 total.

I don’t fully understand how bonuses work, but with these two hitting bonuses and Sekera/Perry getting some bonuses it’s going to have a large affect on our cap next season I assume?

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Don’t know if this has been mentioned yet, but Gurianov’s 20th goal of the year makes him the first drafted Star to hit 20 goals with Dallas since Benn. I’m not kidding.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Don’t know if this has been mentioned yet, but Gurianov’s 20th goal of the year makes him the first drafted Star to hit 20 goals with Dallas since Benn. I’m not kidding.
I mean yeah for years the Stars drafting was bad especially at forward .

Only recently it got somewhat better again.

By the way if you include Stars draftpicks that scored 20 goal elsewhere the last ones have also been drafted a while ago with Alex Chiasson and Reilly Smith. ( second one most of us thought would be good when he was traded for Seguin ) . Both 2009 Stars picks. Between 09 and 15 no Stars draftpick hit 20 goals.

Roope is going to hit 20 this year as well and hopefully JRob can build on his great AHL rookie season to also be at least a 20+ goalscorer

Last edited:

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
1. That makes it look even worse

2. not just rookies. I’m talking altogether. If you were drafted by the team in the past 13 years and your name wasn’t Jamie Benn or Denis Gurianov, you haven’t scored 20 goals for the Dallas Stars. Hintz probably joins that exclusive club soon as well.

Reactions: Satan

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars just haven't drafted many scorers in the last decade . Most of the forwards that end up NHL players for the Stars are in the Faksa , Ritchie , Dickinson , Shore , Nichuskin kind of caterory that can score between 10-19 goals .

Hell the Stars in general haven't had that many 20+ goal scorers on their team in general in the last 10 years.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Stars just haven't drafted many scorers in the last decade . Most of the forwards that end up NHL players for the Stars are in the Faksa , Ritchie , Dickinson , Shore , Nichuskin kind of caterory that can score between 10-19 goals .

Hell the Stars in general haven't had that many 20+ goal scorers on their team in general in the last 10 years.
Not sure what your point is

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That the Stars haven't had great scoring depth in ages.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Just finished watching the game on DVR. I’m so f*ing tired of Polak; he’s easily contributing to a goal a game from the opposing team.

Props to Dickinson, Perry and Klingberg; Khudobin as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad