2019-20 Dallas Stars Regular Season Discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Someone may have posted it, but I was pretty surprised that Dallas' ES scoring is down with Bowness compared to Montgomery. Our PP has jumped all the way to 5th IIRC since they brought in Laxdal.

The most disappointing thing has to be the PK though. Bowness even took it back over, and it's actually gotten worse since the start of February.

If Bowness sticks around, I wonder if they consider putting him back in control of the defense and letting Laxdal eventually run the forwards and the PP.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I'd love the idea of Radulov for Zuccarello but his numbers are also down this year, his worst season. So is that the start of a steep decline at age 32 or just the result of being on a new, crappy team and/or bad chemistry?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I know I've talked a lot about Faksa and possibly trading him. The Eakin contract is a comparable, but to be fair, so is Lars Eller. He compares favorably to Radek, and he took a slightly smaller than expected contract to stay with Washington 2 years ago.

Eller's 5 year deal worth $3.5 million is something I think you could live with. Even with adjusting for the contract being 2 years old, if Dallas could get Faksa to agree to a deal under $4 million long term, that's the type of deal that would still have value. Eakin's deal for just under $4 million only covered 2 UFA years, but Eller's contract was signed as an UFA.

Lindell didn't sign a hometown discount. It's not really fair to expect a player to do that, but you know it's a possibility they will. Nick Bonino's $4.1 million is closer to market value from 2017, and he has had more offensive success than Faksa. Pageau's $5 million contract extension with the Islanders capped what Faksa would likely earn.

I do just have a hard time seeing Faksa as valuable greater than $4 million, and the other contracts that have recently signed tend to suggest that as well. There is a pretty small difference between long-term fit and overpaid though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'd love the idea of Radulov for Zuccarello but his numbers are also down this year, his worst season. So is that the start of a steep decline at age 32 or just the result of being on a new, crappy team and/or bad chemistry?

It's a gamble for sure, but Zuccarello doesn't seem like the type of player that has a steep decline. He seems more like the type of guy that plays well into his mid 30's. Minnesota has been a team in turmoil all season from the front office to the coaching staff to the players. My hunch would be this season is more reflective of the team than the player.

Those guys that tend to fall off quickly and never recover are the more physical, power forwards. However, it's for sure a risk.

Reactions: hcash97

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Isn't Faksa a RFA? Nill doesn't usually overpay those guys too much. I doubt he gets more than $4M. Even so, and I know I am conflating many posters here, but it seems like all three members of that line have detractors, with the wings having even more "trade them" proposals than RF. It's a great shutdown line, but somehow, no one on it is worth keeping? Yes, many teams fill the lower two lines with cheaper players, but I recall our SC team filling a third line with vets like Keane, Carbonneau and Skrudland. That worked out well, and I think good teams have a line like that, made up of vets whose primary skill is in defense.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Lindell was a RFA. What matters is UFA years. Faksa is a single season from UFA, and Lindell was 2 years. Those years cost more.

Comparing the 1999 Dallas Stars to the 2020 Dallas Stars doesn't make a great deal of sense. They didn't have a salary cap, and Hicks was willing to spend big to make that team successful.

No one in my view is being anti-defensive forwards. When you're talking about the cap, everyone has to fit. Most top teams aren't paying multiple defensive forwards top dollar. You can do that with a bit more with a center, but a guy like Cogliano, especially when you're already tight to the cap isn't helpful. Nearly every GM including Jim Nill have talked about the need for guys on ELCs because of the cap, and they're talking about the bottom of the roster. You can have 2 or 3, but it limits your cap flexibility.

Things aren't black in white in hockey. It's not simply a question of whether a player can contribute. How they fit into a cap system is incredibly important and relevant.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I would move Radulov if you could as well. Likely won't get much for him but it clears space for a young player or another acquisition. I guess if it's a young player like Robertson you gotta hope they contribute.
I’m thinking Robertson can take janmarks spot next season and trading radulov will set us up to make a bigger move on forward .

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Hell ... even comparing a team in 2020 to 5 years ago is almost irrelevant. 5 years ago ... bridge deals existed for top RFAs. They're virtually non-existent for Top 6 forwards and Top 4 D. Contracts in the cap world are constantly evolving and changing the way teams budget and spend money.

I'm not knocking the players. Teams have made it clear this is a business, and players have dug in on contracts as top RFAs. That's why we see even more holdouts ... something Dallas could easily experience with Guiranov and/or Hintz. It'll likely be easier with Heiskanen because they probably already understand the's going to get a monster deal.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I think Zucc is the move, too. They need a playmaker. I definitely wouldn’t move Radulov, though. I’d trade Faksa and move Dickinson to 3C all day and let the offense eat. One of Gurianov or Hintz would be on the third line but the way they roll lines usage wouldn’t be a problem.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I think Zucc is the move, too. They need a playmaker. I definitely wouldn’t move Radulov, though. I’d trade Faksa and move Dickinson to 3C all day and let the offense eat. One of Gurianov or Hintz would be on the third line but the way they roll lines usage wouldn’t be a problem.
The cap will pretty much make Radulov the player moved.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Janmark’s replacement I think will have to be able to PK. Robertson does not do that

I can't remember if it was on the broadcast or one of the writers who cover the Stars, but apparently Bowness thinks Hintz is close to being a PK option for Dallas (this year), and he indicated they see Gurianov as one but he's a little further away.

Next year, there's a spot open for 1 or 2 forwards in addition to Robertson, and those guys are all potential PKers ... Caamano, Kiviranta, Gardner, Dellandrea, etc.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
If the right opportunity came along adding a pick to Cogliano would be a no-brainer. That and Faksa’s salary would easily offset Zucc at 6. That offense would be balls deep and that team would have cup aspirations.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I can't remember if it was on the broadcast or one of the writers who cover the Stars, but apparently Bowness thinks Hintz is close to being a PK option for Dallas (this year), and he indicated they see Gurianov as one but he's a little further away.

Next year, there's a spot open for 1 or 2 forwards in addition to Robertson, and those guys are all potential PKers ... Caamano, Kiviranta, Gardner, Dellandrea, etc.
Pretty sure hintz was killing penalties here and there for Monty .

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Pretty sure hintz was killing penalties here and there for Monty .

I'm pretty certain he was too. That's the weird thing ... Bowness was running the PK so I'm not sure what changed. There was only about a 2 to 3 week period where he wasn't running the PK. I know Hintz had a cluster of missed games because of an injury, and it took him some time to get back up to speed. That also happens to be around the time Janmark really started taking off in his role on the PK. Maybe he just hasn't felt the need to do that for a bit.

Considering how poor the PK as been lately, it is interesting that there hasn't been a shakeup on that unit. Hintz seems like a guy that does make sense to get a chance right now.

Reactions: Bfantz

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I'm pretty certain he was too. That's the weird thing ... Bowness was running the PK so I'm not sure what changed. There was only about a 2 to 3 week period where he wasn't running the PK. I know Hintz had a cluster of missed games because of an injury, and it took him some time to get back up to speed. That also happens to be around the time Janmark really started taking off in his role on the PK. Maybe he just hasn't felt the need to do that for a bit.

Considering how poor the PK as been lately, it is interesting that there hasn't been a shakeup on that unit. Hintz seems like a guy that does make sense to get a chance right now.
There probably trying to shorten his workload aswell , since coming off that injury he’s just started to get back to normal the last 5 games or so.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Not sure about adding Robertson as a full timer next season. Thought he looked okay on the big team, but to me he kind of feels like a Max Pacioretty type who will need lots of AHL prep time before making the NHL full time. If he comes in an looks dominant in the preseason then by all means, but don’t think he’s there yet.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Not sure about adding Robertson as a full timer next season. Thought he looked okay on the big team, but to me he kind of feels like a Max Pacioretty type who will need lots of AHL prep time before making the NHL full time. If he comes in an looks dominant in the preseason then by all means, but don’t think he’s there yet.

That's the good thing about Dallas' depth. You can just pencil in 2 spots, and you have options. It'd be nice if Robertson could make the jump because he has the best offensive potential, but another guy could easily take that spot as well.

You have Caamano, Kiviranta, L'Esperance, and Gardner all likely have realistic shots at a Top 12 spot. Dellandrea's shot is likely tied to carving out a role in all situations. Otherwise, he will probably end up with top minutes in Texas. I think Dellandrea having a shot to jump directly to the NHL is probably tied to what happens with Dickinson and Faksa. Pretty unlikely he starts in Dallas if both are on the team.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
That's the good thing about Dallas' depth. You can just pencil in 2 spots, and you have options. It'd be nice if Robertson could make the jump because he has the best offensive potential, but another guy could easily take that spot as well.

You have Caamano, Kiviranta, L'Esperance, and Gardner all likely have realistic shots at a Top 12 spot. Dellandrea's shot is likely tied to carving out a role in all situations. Otherwise, he will probably end up with top minutes in Texas. I think Dellandrea having a shot to jump directly to the NHL is probably tied to what happens with Dickinson and Faksa. Pretty unlikely he starts in Dallas if both are on the team.

Yeah I see two of those four listed making it as bottom sixers/spares next season should be a good battle for those available roster spots. I’d like to see Dellandrea get season in the AHL to grow his offencive game and get some games in at the NHL level to give him a taste (similar to Robertson this season). Lots of variables going into this offseason

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
What could be interesting and entirely premature possibly is Dellandrea does make some sense long term between Hintz and Gurianov if they don't see Hintz as a center. If he's not ready for the minutes, he's not going to get them, but I guess I was a little premature to say there's not a center spot open if Dickinson and Faksa are both retained. Really ... Pavelski shouldn't be a center for Dallas. It's reasonable that a center spot would still be available, but Dellandrea would have competition from Gardner and L'Esperance (although they seem to like L'Esperance at wing more than center).

Even if it's not right away, I could see in a year or two Dellandrea getting a serious look between Hintz and Gurianov.

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
What could be interesting and entirely premature possibly is Dellandrea does make some sense long term between Hintz and Gurianov if they don't see Hintz as a center. If he's not ready for the minutes, he's not going to get them, but I guess I was a little premature to say there's not a center spot open if Dickinson and Faksa are both retained. Really ... Pavelski shouldn't be a center for Dallas. It's reasonable that a center spot would still be available, but Dellandrea would have competition from Gardner and L'Esperance (although they seem to like L'Esperance at wing more than center).

Even if it's not right away, I could see in a year or two Dellandrea getting a serious look between Hintz and Gurianov.

I think long term that would make a lot of sense. Put a steady, smart, two way player between a couple of speedsters to give Hintz and Gurianov room to fly. Reminds me of the Marchand-Bergeron-Pasternak combo, but obviously far less talented.

Part of the reason why I’m so hesitant to trade either Faksa/Dickinson is I’m not convinced that Hintz/Pavelski cut it at centre. Not that I expect either to become a top six centre, but just doesn’t make sense to trade one of them if we only have 3 sure things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad