2019-20 Dallas Stars Regular Season Discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I think Zucc is the move, too. They need a playmaker. I definitely wouldn’t move Radulov, though. I’d trade Faksa and move Dickinson to 3C all day and let the offense eat. One of Gurianov or Hintz would be on the third line but the way they roll lines usage wouldn’t be a problem.
Radulov for Rakell

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Radulov for Rakell

The Ducks are not giving up a player 7 years younger with more points being paid about $2.5M less than Radulov (Cap hit wise, money wise after this season it's very close) in a 1-for-1 deal. If you want Rakell it likely starts with Hintz, the Ducks have zero reason to move him right now.

Last edited:

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
The Ducks are not giving up a player 7 years younger with more points being paid about half of what Radulov is (Cap hit wise, money wise after this season it's very close) in a 1-for-1 deal. If you want Rakell it likely starts with Hintz, the Ducks have zero reason to move him right now.
Agree, Hintz deal makes sense

Reactions: Henderson33

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Agree, Hintz deal makes sense
So you are upset the Stars did not make a trade for a player that is not available. Even if you offered Hintz the deal is not doable. The stars do not have the cap space. I also don’t see trading Hintz for another goal scorer as a real improvement. I think they need to build onto Hintz.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
So you are upset the Stars did not make a trade for a player that is not available. Even if you offered Hintz the deal is not doable. The stars do not have the cap space. I also don’t see trading Hintz for another goal scorer as a real improvement. I think they need to build onto Hintz.

If there is a deal to be made for Hintz that makes sense and provides a major offensive boost, why should it not be made? You can't hang on to your home-drafted players just for that reason alone. If NYI offered Barzal for Hintz+, he is on the next flight to JFK or La Guardia.

Reactions: hcash97 and M88K

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That's a great example in that it's a no-brainer, but it's also a pretty terrible example in that it's beyond unreasonable considering there aren't many +'s to cover that gap between Barzal and Hintz.

I agree with the theory though, and I'd actually suggest that Gurianov would make the most sense in a package for an improvement. I'm not close to saying Hintz is a complete player, but I think he's probably closer to a complete player than Gurianov. Depending on the player coming back, Hintz obviously isn't untouchable, but I would definitely at least float Gurianov out there. He's due a big raise because of the 20+ goals, and while he's been a good piece for Dallas, you can't be sure he's more than a fast guy that scores off rush chances. That's a nice piece but it doesn't exactly make the guys around him better right now either.

It reminds me a little bit of what Nill did with Reilly Smith and Alex Chiasson when he took over the Dallas job. They weren't as far along in their development as Gurianov in terms of transitioning to the NHL so he has more value right now, but they were still considered very good young players. He flipped them in packages for more established players. I think the thing that is similar about Smith, Chiasson, and Gurianov is at the time they were traded or in Gurianov's case where he is right now, they looked like nice pieces you'd want on your team, but I don't think they're core, building block players either.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Minnesota is now just 5 points back from us but we have a game in hand.

Also, Vancouver is currently down 2-0 going into the 3rd. A comeback win would put them 4 points from us

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Imagine playing a boring system just because its better suited for the playoffs and then not making the playoffs. For the record, even if they make it I'm so over it. I'm so tired of this boring hockey. I hardly ever tune into games anymore.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Imagine playing a boring system just because its better suited for the playoffs and then not making the playoffs. For the record, even if they make it I'm so over it. I'm so tired of this boring hockey. I hardly ever tune into games anymore.
i've never understood this. the only part of hockey that's entertaining is when your team scores goals?

i really enjoy when we're on our game and just suffocating the other team. that's fun to watch. winning = fun, and losing with any style sucks.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Well we used to be the opposite a few years ago , scoring goals and losing isn’t any better . We actually lead the league in goals for and didn’t make the playoffs one season .

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
i've never understood this. the only part of hockey that's entertaining is when your team scores goals?

i really enjoy when we're on our game and just suffocating the other team. that's fun to watch. winning = fun, and losing with any style sucks.
Back in the day even the most boring systems like the late 90s Hitchcock Stars were fun to watch because of the hitting and fights. Suffering through Montgomery and now Bones systems is probably the most boring inclination of it. When the team is on its game we spend the majority of the game in our own zone. We are running the hockey version of the rope-a-dope. We getting outskated, outplayed and outshot (low percentage shots as they typically are) for long periods of the game but every so often we can get in and take advantage of a mistake or a rush chance that leads to a goal for.
The few games we dominate from start to finish the team clearly has no clue what to do in those situations and typically end up losing because their trying to force things or take low percentage shots because so much of their typical offense is derived from rush chances. How anyone can watch the team the last 2-3 years and not be bored, win or lose, with this hang on for dear life or bend don't break system is beyond me . I was all for getting rid of Monty so that this system would go away but we doubled down on it with the interim

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
It would be nice if the vast majority of games weren't sphincter puckering.

Intensity and close games are nice, but not night in and night out. A game like the Carolina game was nice because you could just enjoy it without sweating out the day's fluids.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Back in the day even the most boring systems like the late 90s Hitchcock Stars were fun to watch because of the hitting and fights. Suffering through Montgomery and now Bones systems is probably the most boring inclination of it. When the team is on its game we spend the majority of the game in our own zone. We are running the hockey version of the rope-a-dope. We getting outskated, outplayed and outshot (low percentage shots as they typically are) for long periods of the game but every so often we can get in and take advantage of a mistake or a rush chance that leads to a goal for.
The few games we dominate from start to finish the team clearly has no clue what to do in those situations and typically end up losing because their trying to force things or take low percentage shots because so much of their typical offense is derived from rush chances. How anyone can watch the team the last 2-3 years and not be bored, win or lose, with this hang on for dear life or bend don't break system is beyond me . I was all for getting rid of Monty so that this system would go away but we doubled down on it with the interim

What's frustrating to me is the team started playing this way last season cause it's the only way they could win without scoring depth. Now, you add guys like Pavelski, Perry, Gurianov, Hintz and hell even Johns a year later to this lineup and dump some dead weight and for some reason we are still playing that way...how the coaching staff or GM look at our roster, our players stats, and where we sit in goals for and be satisfied is beyond me. February was a step in the right direction offensively, but March so far has just been another step back to our normal selves.

I'll take winning hockey anyday, but the Stars roster is good enough for both winning and high scoring hockey, and also sidenote but if Polak is out then our defense is considerably better at moving the puck up the ice now too which was another issue we had last season that led to the low scoring style change.

This team still does suck at finishing on opportunities too however so it would be interesting to see if that improves in a style change

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I'm going to try and look at this positively... This will probably be there biggest scoring slump of the season, better that it happens now rather than in the playoffs. As long as it doesn't cause them to miss the playoffs, better off getting it out of their system now. :)

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Is there a reason that Gurianov and Hintz can’t be placed on Seguins wings? Let the speed take over. Does that go against bowness and his no offense strategy?

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Is there a reason that Gurianov and Hintz can’t be placed on Seguins wings? Let the speed take over. Does that go against bowness and his no offense strategy?

Seguin pre injury would have been great with them with the speed. I think he would still be good though.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
that trio had better score on the rush.. they won't ever have extended time in the zone. (although, that's often team wide these days)

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Jets now only 4 points behind the Stars, with the Stars having two games in hand. Not long ago, they were 9 up with two games in hand. Great job, Stars!

If I thought Bowness/Nill had a clue I wouldn't be concerned. Maybe the WC position would be better, I dunno. Then again that is not exactly safe either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->