2019-20 Dallas Stars Regular Season Discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
cut.jpg

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm a big fan of the pup coming to the game. That photo serp posted though of Seguin is hand's down the best of the bunch so far though.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Seems like a nice guy and obviously having success here as well. I'm glad he's here.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Looking at contracts today, I was reminded that Dallas gave themselves 2 pretty decent outs with Radulov's contract in Year 4 and Year 5. They also only allowed him to block trades to 15 teams those 2 seasons. That's a lot, but it's not enough leverage that he could prevent them from trading him. Shapiro keeps referring to him in the group that can't be traded because of a NMC, but it's not longer a full NMC starting this summer. It still prevents him from being exposed in the expansion draft though.

Year 4 is not set up favorable for a buyout, and I wouldn't suggest one anyway. However, this summer, his back loaded contract drops. Rads is only due $8.65 million in the final 2 years of the $31.25 million he signed for. Furthermore, Dallas did something smart with his bonuses. His total salary drops to $4 million in Year 4, but $3 million is due as a signing bonus on July 1st. This was essentially lockout protection before the CBA was extended, but it also helps give Dallas an out. He becomes a pretty attractive trade piece on July 1st. A team could acquire him, only pay him $1 million next season after Dallas has paid out the bonus, and then they'd only owe him $4.65 million the final season (all salary no bonus). The other really significant advantage to the acquiring team is it's their choice if they honor his NMC. There is nothing preventing them from acquiring him, terminating his movement clause, and then making him eligible for the expansion draft the following summer. A movement clause only tolls to the new team if they choose to retain it.

The other out they gave themselves was a buyout of Year 5 would be possible because 100% of his pay is salary. He has no bonus. It would still be pretty expensive the first year, but that extra year would be pretty low. He'd count about $4.5 million against the cap giving you a savings of $1.75 million. That's not great, but he'd only cost $883,333 against the cap the following year. Dallas obviously wasn't aware at the time the contract was signed this was also the year impacted by the expansion draft. It really works out favorably for them though. At this point in time, being required to protect Rads doesn't hurt them. His contract structure making a buyout possible though opens the door should they choose to add a forward they wanted to protect over Rads.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

This team has got to get rid of Roman Polak somehow. There is no reason to sit Johns when we are clearly a better team with him in the lineup. That's not even debatable

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Maybe Johns has some kind of injury ? He wasn't sat out in the last back to back games so i think Johns might have something going on and they want it not become a problem.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

See ? Johns wasn't going to be scratched if he wasn't nicked up .

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I wonder if it has anything to do with trying to get them into the playoffs.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I wonder if it has anything to do with trying to get them into the playoffs.

He can't be there more than a handful of games, and he hasn't played in forever because of injury. This is just a standard loan situation because he's healthy enough to play now.

Yes it's a bonus for a little bit of time, but he's not going to be around enough to have a huge impact in the AHL.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
He can't be there more than a handful of games, and he hasn't played in forever because of injury. This is just a standard loan situation because he's healthy enough to play now.

Yes it's a bonus for a little bit of time, but he's not going to be around enough to have a huge impact in the AHL.

True but a few games might make the difference given how close that race is. Anything helps.

Probably not the main reason, though.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Guryanov is tied with barzal for goals now and almost certainly gonna end up passing him at the rate he’s been going the last 2 months . That draft keeps looking better and better .

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Look ... I like Gurianov.

You just compared him to a guy that's on pace for 70+ points like they were in some way equal. A guy who also has 80+ and 60+ point seasons already because he's a playmaker that Dallas desperately could use.

You just chummed the water, and I wanted to give you a heads up. LOL.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Looking at contracts today, I was reminded that Dallas gave themselves 2 pretty decent outs with Radulov's contract in Year 4 and Year 5. They also only allowed him to block trades to 15 teams those 2 seasons. That's a lot, but it's not enough leverage that he could prevent them from trading him. Shapiro keeps referring to him in the group that can't be traded because of a NMC, but it's not longer a full NMC starting this summer. It still prevents him from being exposed in the expansion draft though.

Year 4 is not set up favorable for a buyout, and I wouldn't suggest one anyway. However, this summer, his back loaded contract drops. Rads is only due $8.65 million in the final 2 years of the $31.25 million he signed for. Furthermore, Dallas did something smart with his bonuses. His total salary drops to $4 million in Year 4, but $3 million is due as a signing bonus on July 1st. This was essentially lockout protection before the CBA was extended, but it also helps give Dallas an out. He becomes a pretty attractive trade piece on July 1st. A team could acquire him, only pay him $1 million next season after Dallas has paid out the bonus, and then they'd only owe him $4.65 million the final season (all salary no bonus). The other really significant advantage to the acquiring team is it's their choice if they honor his NMC. There is nothing preventing them from acquiring him, terminating his movement clause, and then making him eligible for the expansion draft the following summer. A movement clause only tolls to the new team if they choose to retain it.

The other out they gave themselves was a buyout of Year 5 would be possible because 100% of his pay is salary. He has no bonus. It would still be pretty expensive the first year, but that extra year would be pretty low. He'd count about $4.5 million against the cap giving you a savings of $1.75 million. That's not great, but he'd only cost $883,333 against the cap the following year. Dallas obviously wasn't aware at the time the contract was signed this was also the year impacted by the expansion draft. It really works out favorably for them though. At this point in time, being required to protect Rads doesn't hurt them. His contract structure making a buyout possible though opens the door should they choose to add a forward they wanted to protect over Rads.

I don't think that's entirely accurate.

The only time a team has the choice to honor a clause or not is when the player signed that deal prior to gaining Group 3 rights (ie. 7 years in the league or 27 years old as of June 30). Example being PK Subban, he signs a major deal with the Habs with a no trade that would've started July 1 2016. But he got traded on June 29th and the Preds elected not to honor the clause.

So we're still honoring Cogliano's M-NTC, never had the choice otherwise. So for example, we could trade Lindell and his new team wouldn't have to honor his NMC when it comes into effect in a couple years, but any team acquiring Radulov would still need to honor the NMC.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Look ... I like Gurianov.

You just compared him to a guy that's on pace for 70+ points like they were in some way equal. A guy who also has 80+ and 60+ point seasons already because he's a playmaker that Dallas desperately could use.

You just chummed the water, and I wanted to give you a heads up. LOL.
All I said was he was tied with him in goals . Barzal is obviously still better right now but guryanov was considered a bust by many and a lot of people didn’t think he would ever amount to anything .

Reactions: Kipper 17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad