2019-20 Dallas Stars Regular Season Discussion - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Kivi doesn't require waivers and I'd rather Dowling be the one not playing than Kivi.

Also both teams currently have a homestand so might as well send the guy down for a couple of games if you don't want to use him in the NHL .

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
We are also #3 in the league in PP% since going 1-7-1 (from Oct. 19th onward).

Tampa has actually now taken us out for best record since then, but we're still #2, and a solid 8% higher than any other WC team.

The biggest change from prior years is that we are also the 2nd best road team (behind TBL, of course) in the league since Oct. 19th. Again by a very solid margin over any other WC team.

All painting a good picture for the playoffs. I'm very somewhat hesitantly getting excited at our chances, but obviously it's still much more unlikely than likely.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Colorado won tonight as well, making the Central Division (and likely WC) race that much closer.

TeamGPPoints
STL6076
DAL6076
COL5975
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Important Games
Feb. 21st: Blues at Stars
Feb. 29th: Stars at Blues
Apr. 4th: Blues at Avs

Stars are 4-0 against the Avs this year. Outscored them 11-6. 1 win was in OT, another in the SO.

Blues have us beat 2-1 so far, with our 1 win coming in OT. One of those wins came during our 1-7-1 stretch, though.

Blues and Avs have split their season series, 2-2 so far. Blues have 14 goals, Avs have 15. Very close season series, but all of the games have been fairly decisive.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I like how every game the Stars play now generates a mainboard thread or two. :laugh:

Yes, actually nice to get some attention, even if negative, I guess.

As to that being a great hit, I think you are in the definite large minority with that opinion. Shouldn't have done it. At least he didn't try to argue it with the refs like Chara.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Yes, actually nice to get some attention, even if negative, I guess.

As to that being a great hit, I think you are in the definite large minority with that opinion. Shouldn't have done it. At least he didn't try to argue it with the refs like Chara.
probably shouldn't have done it, agreed. however i do want to leave room for it possibly being a conscious decision to police the game. given the previous bad blood, the earlier run on hintz, he could have felt like the refs weren't protecting his teammates so he'd 'send the message.' who knows if that's really the case, but i could see it as a possibility.
i do think OEL turned as he came into the point of contact, too.. that has to count for something. when you know you're about to get crushed and you turn your back, you're kind of asking for it. that said, benn easily had enough time to alter the angle/height of the hit instead of both hands to the upper back.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Again, don't think you are gonna get any likes on your last two posts. It is what it is, a major boarding call was correct.

Again I ask, has Jamie been suspended before? It might play into how long his suspension is. Lots of folks on the main board say he is a goon, A Hole, etc. I know he is a physical power forward, but don't recall multiple incidents like this. Yeah, you play physical, you are going to take some penalties, but its amazing how black and white some people look at things.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Again, don't think you are gonna get any likes on your last two posts. It is what it is, a major boarding call was correct.

Again I ask, has Jamie been suspended before? It might play into how long his suspension is. Lots of folks on the main board say he is a goon, A Hole, etc. I know he is a physical power forward, but don't recall multiple incidents like this. Yeah, you play physical, you are going to take some penalties, but its amazing how black and white some people look at things.

No . He was fined once before but that was almost 10 years ago.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It's already Noon (Eastern), and there's been no mention of Benn having a call with the DOPS. Since Dallas plays tomorrow, if a suspension was coming, that's usually something that schedule pretty quick so that it can be done by the end of the day (prior to a game day).

Seems like Benn might not be getting any supplemental discipline ... at least not a suspension maybe.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Considering how many worse hits i've seen go unpunished with not even a major/ejection i expected nothing else to come off this. Especially once OEL came back in the third it was clear the major would be it.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I agree with that, but I also agree to some extent with Evander Kane so I wasn't entirely sure. It would have sucked for him to miss the Blues game. Those are typically among his best games of the season.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Seems right. OEL almost went out of his way to put himself in a vulnerable position. He also either had possession and was eligible to be hit, or was committing interference on Benn.

There was going to be a rough collision no matter what, Benn just amplified it instead of backing off... which you’d expect from a physical player.

Add in OEL’s diving history and this seems like an easy decision. Should Benn have thrown the hit? No. Did he deserve the ejection? Probably. But I think they got this call right afterward.

Reactions: Kelly Robinson

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I am surprised by the no tracking thing. Benn never looked at the puck. He was going to hit OEL no matter what.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
We'll probably never understand why some guys have a harder time assimilating with a team ... but damn am I glad Pavelski is on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad