2019-20 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It’s pretty easy to call out who didn’t have talent after the fact. I recall people’s excitement over guys going back to 2013 and certainly 2015. We’ll see about this next group made up of more Euros and NCAA if that makes a difference. Age will be another factor there. It’s easier to give an opportunity when someone enters pro at 22+ years of age with more development time elsewhere.

The timing of those from the CHL path seems to be a problem as well. They want to preach patience, have guys on the 4th line, the press box or the ECHL in their 20 year old first year pro season but the clock ticks regardless. Waiver exemption and ELC is up in 3 years. By year 2 a player needs a NHL look and year 3 needs to make the transition at some point. Wasting a guys first year pro ruins their chance at making it. There’s just no realistic path for these guys, they are set up for failure from the start.

Nobody cares about the midround CHLers, I doubt the org does either. But a guy like Barron they drafted knowing he’s a CHLer on an accelerated timeline with a late birthday. He’s AHL eligible next year (unless they think they are sending the first round WJC pick back for an overage year smh) and will be on the same clock ticking. I would have preferred a Euro that can develop several years overseas but they decided they want an immediate player that’s on their watch. Good luck!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
There have been people calling out the names of the failure players for years too. It goes both ways, but as a typical situation, fans hype their own prospects. People are hyping Beaucage and Mutala now... and they are not good prospects. People clamored over Saigeon not getting an ELC on him 'deserving' it, and he flat out sucks as a professional hockey player at any level. Henry had an abysmal +1 season and people excused it after he had a great +2. +2 CHL players are supposed to dominate the league if they have any semblance of talent. Right now Rolston and Aman are this year's versions. They aren't legit NHL prospects. Yet some here also completely discarded Morrison who is going to end up a NHLer in Chicago. Maybe not a good one, but he will play in the league. I wouldn't use any of our opinions are real barometers of actual talent.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Yes Utah has played a couple games and will more after Christmas. They are one of the 13 teams who have chosen to play. The ECHL “talent pool” is saturated now as teams that are playing have signed the better guys who were out of a job. Idk what happened to Smirnov in particular but he could have been squeezed out. He didn’t play in one of the two games because of immigration apparently so idk if that is part of the reason as well. They don’t have any NHL contracted or otherwise “prospects” on the roster btw in case anyone is wondering.
I just looked at Utah’s lineup. Who the f*** are those guys? Never heard of a single one of them.:laugh:

Reactions: GoNordiquesGo

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Given who owns the Eagles, they will play and probably try their damndest to force in fans.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I live in Utah, pretty close to the Maverick Arena.

If I go to a few games, I'll probably do some scouting reports on some of the players.
That would be neat! We probably aren’t going to have much in the way of NHL contracted guys in Utah but you never know. With half the league sitting out there were a lot of guys for Utah to sign.

Reactions: PepsiCenterMagic

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

That's amusing and all but this isn't quite as cut-and-dried as you're making it out to be. The complete failure of the 2014 draft and near-failure of the 2016 draft has really hampered this organization. They've had to employ other means to build organizational depth as a result. 2015 wasn't great obviously but they still ended up with an elite player out of it. 2017 has effectively done the same thing, and if Timmins turns into a player, that's a huge plus. And I suppose we'll see about 2018, '19, and '20. I get those drafts might end up being the exact same as those of years past and if so the Avalanche organization will be in really deep shit once the cap crunch begins. The O'Reilly and Duchene trades effectively bought them some time to get their asses in order in terms of drafting and development. And I still have more than a few reservations about Hepple's ability to identify talent.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That's amusing and all but this isn't quite as cut-and-dried as you're making it out to be. The complete failure of the 2014 draft and near-failure of the 2016 draft has really hampered this organization. They've had to employ other means to build organizational depth as a result. 2015 wasn't great obviously but they still ended up with an elite player out of it. 2017 has effectively done the same thing, and if Timmins turns into a player, that's a huge plus. And I suppose we'll see about 2018, '19, and '20. I get those drafts might end up being the exact same as those of years past and if so the Avalanche organization will be in really deep shit once the cap crunch begins. The O'Reilly and Duchene trades effectively bought them some time to get their asses in order in terms of drafting and development. And I still have more than a few reservations about Hepple's ability to identify talent.

giphy.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Where has the NHL suddenly found all this common sense lately?

CHLers can play in the AHL if their CHL season is canceled, you don't have to have your skate on the ice to be onside, and now players who would have been in the CHL but are now in the AHL can have their contract slide?

Can we have more of this please?

Reactions: Pokecheque

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The AHL sounds even worse than usual. Teams might play 30+ games against only 3 opponents and no post season.

Teenagers in the AHL is not a good idea. I wish there were more options to CHL players but that’s not a great solution.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
The AHL sounds even worse than usual. Teams might play 30+ games against only 3 opponents and no post season.

Teenagers in the AHL is not a good idea. I wish there were more options to CHL players but that’s not a great solution.
Yeah, not great but at least it’s something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad