2019-20 Coaching Discussion: The Jon Cooper Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Out of curiosity, if firing Cooper meant that all of the assistant coaches were gone at the end of the year too, does that change your stance on canning him now?

Hard to say because I don’t know who will be available in April or after the season. If Laviolette is available ya I’d let all the assistants go let him bring his guys in. I believe all our assistants are in the last year of there contracts this season. Or do you make Giroux head coach and keep Richards ? And halpren? Seems like that’s the direction we could be heading after the season.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Hard to say because I don’t know who will be available in April or after the season. If Laviolette is available ya I’d let all the assistants go let him bring his guys in. I believe all our assistants are in the last year of there contracts this season. Or do you make Giroux head coach and keep Richards ? And halpren? Seems like that’s the direction we could be heading after the season.

If we do fire Cooper, I would not be happy with anyone that doesn’t already have proven NHL success

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If we do fire Cooper, I would not be happy with anyone that doesn’t already have proven NHL success

if we miss the playoffs will the Lightning fire cooper ?

if we make the playoffs and get eliminated in the first round will we fire cooper ?

what will it take for cooper to keep his job in Tampa ?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Ya but at this pace do you really see this team in a playoff spot by January 1st ? at this same pace they would be like 20-17-4
Truthfully, I don't see him getting fired period. I think it would take them being out of a playoff spot to facilitate it, but I don't think JBB has the stones to make that move during the season personally. I think Cooper will get this entire season no matter what. If they miss the playoffs, he's auto terminated pretty much as soon as the last second ticks off the final game.

If they make the playoffs, Cooper still won't go unless JBB feels there's an absolute no question upgrade available.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I'd rather go Halpren he is a player fairly fresh out of the game and sometimes players like having a coach that was an nhl player. But Todd Richards is interesting also.
I can understand because he is familiar. But I ask this is he different enough from Coop to make a change? He has been developing players for Coop. Is his system different than Coop? Probably more like Coop since he has been in this system. If Coop's system is the problem then he would not be the right guy. Then again you can not go off the deep end and bring someone 180 degrees different than Coop to deal with this roster. I have seen the results of that the GM and coach start making moves to fit the new coach it takes a couple years or more and the window for cups is now.

The players will turn this around absent injuries. Last night game for instance with Kuch out and Stammer hurt in the 1st they tightened down played sound and beat a hot team. The defense is there to do it and the heart was there last night. It could be the turning point to getting the train back on track. Vasi had a heck of a game too. Kane and Towes were contained and goals from that 4th line continue and goals from 21 and 71 lift the team up and the cream a goal from the D.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

if we make the playoffs and get eliminated in the first round will we fire cooper ?

I think if we make the playoffs and we lose in a fashion to how we lost against the Caps and the Jackets. I dont mean a sweep although yea that would probably get it done. What I mean is where the offense just goes dry and everything falls apart. I think if that happens again, unless its the cup finals then I think hes gone. I dont think the players want to go out the same way they have the last few times.

I think for him to keep his job I think make it to the playoffs and have the guys play well in the playoffs would have him keep his job. Even if they lost but they played well, I think that would keep his job safe.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida

Cup win that we probably should have won a few times by now...... Underachieving far too long

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
More players talkin' that shit about Babs? I'll have to give it a listen later. Like I said I ONLY endorse his hiring because I think he can win us a Cup and his success with stacked ass teams. I'd want him 2-3 years and he'd be done while someone else redirects the inevitable rebuild/reload we will have to do by then because Babs sucks with young guys.

Praise Lavi...

Reactions: Todd1a

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Toronto seems to be rolling now lol but we got all these games in hand ?
Idk, they just got a new coach so they are gonna be amped to play. They barley held onto that game against the avs. They had a good 1st period but that was it. Avs were took over for the remainder of the game. Andersen bailed them out.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
In the wider hockey fan community, we never really heard anything about any kind of specifics over the "perceived" player issues with Mike Babcock. Since he's been fired by the Leafs, there seems to be a looser attitude, and more outlets, for former players to air grievances. Overall I think it's a positive development.

THG covered the Marner ranking story in a News of the Day video and raised a very interesting point. Maybe the Leafs players played such hardball on their contracts *because* they had to play for Babcock?

(4:39)

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I can't muster enough "No" between myself, Anakin and Luke Skywalker, Michael Scott and myself for Babcock anymore. I was lukewarm at best about him and after that "list" crap he really is thr asshole Mike Commodore makes him out to be.

f*** this guy.

Praise Lavi

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I'm just so ready for the next chapter with this team. We've gone as far as we can with Cooper, and while it was nice getting those ECF visits, it's just not acceptable to have built a team like this and bow out the same way every single season. These guys have to be pissed their prime years are being flushed down the toilet.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
In the wider hockey fan community, we never really heard anything about any kind of specifics over the "perceived" player issues with Mike Babcock. Since he's been fired by the Leafs, there seems to be a looser attitude, and more outlets, for former players to air grievances. Overall I think it's a positive development.

THG covered the Marner ranking story in a News of the Day video and raised a very interesting point. Maybe the Leafs players played such hardball on their contracts *because* they had to play for Babcock?

(4:39)

Terrible, terrible coaching tactic even if I see what kind of message he was trying to send. But mannnn people are seriously labeling this "emotional abuse" :laugh: :laugh:

This happened 3 years ago, Marner has posted increasing production every single year and was one of Babcock's most trusted player even over Matthew's. It's a shitty incident but I don't think it's had any lasting impact on their relationship since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad