2019 1st Round Pick Watch / Scoreboard and Standings Thread

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I do not see it as combative. I’m just engaging your viewpoint. I aa not a combative type of personality.
:rolleyes:

Okay, thanks for the engagement. Whether you think we're likely to lose the games in hand or not, they present an opportunity to pick up points regardless. Which is obviously not something we want. We could luck our way into wins, who f***ing knows.

Reactions: bl02

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Okay, thanks for the engagement. Whether you think we're likely to lose the games in hand or not, they present an opportunity to pick up points regardless. Which is obviously not something we want. We could luck our way into wins, who ****ing knows.

At the end of the day, I just disagree with you on how bad this team is. We’re talking about currently a 4-point separation between the Rangers and 1st overall. With so much season left, and with how this team has played most of the year, I don’t see them being locked into 8-12.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dijock94

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
At the end of the day, I just disagree with you on how bad this team. We’re talking about currently a 4-point separation between the Rangers and 1st overall. With so much season left, and with how this team has played most of the year, I don’t see them being locked into 8-12.
IDK what that has to do with the games in hand "discussion" but whatever.

I think they're "locked in" from 6-12. I said 8-12 by TDL, with potential movement dictated by our moves and how the kids respond.

That's all I've got on this.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Not picking on you 2k2, because I've been seeing it a ton on these forums, but my view is that I'm not so sure we're going to "revert to the mean" to stick around the 8-10 spot.

Sure, we aren't going to lose by 5 goals a game every night. But, the first half of this season was the easier (by far) half of our schedule. We are dead last in ROWs. We are only as high as we are because of 5 SO wins. That probably (hopefully) isn't sustainable throughout the season. With our goal differential and stats, we should have fewer points than we do now... and as is, we are only four points out of the top overall spot (albeit with games in hand).

I've been in law school for the last year and a half now, so I'm not as up-to-date as I once was with the contract situations of other teams, but are there any teams below us that will be selling off more important pieces of their roster than Hayes/Zucc? Is Detroit going to trade Nyquist? Is Ottawa going to trade Duchene and/or Stone? (Neither of these are rhetorical- I have no idea. Any insights?)

After the TDL (or whenever they're traded... especially Hayes) Mika and Kreider are literally going to have to carry this team alone. Mika and Kreider are both fantastic players. Two of my favorite Rangers. But we're going to be a one-line team, with a terrible defense and an aging goalie, and that one line doesn't even have a superstar on it.

Reactions: jas

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Okay, thanks for the engagement. Whether you think we're likely to lose the games in hand or not, they present an opportunity to pick up points regardless. Which is obviously not something we want. We could luck our way into wins, who ****ing knows.

Just to finish this on my end, yes, those games are opportunities to pick up points. I’m just very skeptical that the Rangers will do so.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I honestly think New Jersey could move up once Hall comes back and they get good goaltending. Kinkaid has been okay and Blackwood has been pretty good when healthy. Schneider needs to get his ass in gear when he gets off IR, too.

I don't think St. Louis would sell. They spent the offseason trying to make the team better with additions of Bozak and O'Reilly. They also have Schenn and Schwartz. Unfortunate injuries to rookies Thomas and Fabbri are hindering their rise, too. IMO, their medical team should be replaced.

Philly is in tank mode, IMO. They're going through management changes that will shape the way they want to play Flyer hockey. There could be some movement at the deadline, but I don't think much. They'll get rid of dead weight and focus on the offseason. New management needs to see what they have in the cupboards.

Senators (aka Colorado, lolol) will most likely end up with a top pick and the Kings will most likely be there, too.

At the end of the day, the Rangers have been in rebuild mode for almost a year now. It's just starting to kick legs now. Unfortunately, we all will probably see guys we like move to different organizations. Hopefully management can capitalize on the assets coming back to help make this team a contender again. With the trajectory they are headed, I could see this team picking in the top 5. Fingers crossed for a lottery win, though. Will be an interesting rest of the season....

Reactions: jas

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
eq0pGq8.png

Reactions: Greg Luzniak

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Not picking on you 2k2, because I've been seeing it a ton on these forums, but my view is that I'm not so sure we're going to "revert to the mean" to stick around the 8-10 spot.

Sure, we aren't going to lose by 5 goals a game every night. But, the first half of this season was the easier (by far) half of our schedule. We are dead last in ROWs. We are only as high as we are because of 5 SO wins. That probably (hopefully) isn't sustainable throughout the season. With our goal differential and stats, we should have fewer points than we do now... and as is, we are only four points out of the top overall spot (albeit with games in hand).

I've been in law school for the last year and a half now, so I'm not as up-to-date as I once was with the contract situations of other teams, but are there any teams below us that will be selling off more important pieces of their roster than Hayes/Zucc? Is Detroit going to trade Nyquist? Is Ottawa going to trade Duchene and/or Stone? (Neither of these are rhetorical- I have no idea. Any insights?)

After the TDL (or whenever they're traded... especially Hayes) Mika and Kreider are literally going to have to carry this team alone. Mika and Kreider are both fantastic players. Two of my favorite Rangers. But we're going to be a one-line team, with a terrible defense and an aging goalie, and that one line doesn't even have a superstar on it.
I don't feel picked on, don't worry. And even if I did, it's fine, I can handle it. I've fought for some pretty unpopular opinions over my many years here, and in retrospect, some were also ill-conceived. :laugh: But I do appreciate your concern.

I understand your point. And, I will readily admit, we were generally lucky in a lot of instances so far, winning games we probably didn't deserve to win.

BUT...I feel like we also lost some games we probably deserved to at least get a point out of. My specific memory of this season is hazy because it's been so blah, but it feels like we've choked away a bunch of games late, or dropped points at the last minute. So while I don't expect a regression to the mean as you put it, since we have experienced good luck, but I also think we've encountered a good bit of bad luck (or bad luck in really bad spots).

At the same time, I'm not a huge subscriber to luck in general. I mean I understand statistical anomalies and things of that nature, but I think we're sometimes too quick to chalk an event or outcome up to luck.

So all in all I don't really know. I know the rest of the schedule is more tough, I know we have more road games left and we're hot garbage there, etc. I get that, and maybe we do go into complete free fall. I just don't really see it. I have nothing to base this on other than a hunch and my belief that the other teams behind us will also be pretty bad.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
If we manage to win the Hughes lottery and both Panarin & Karlsson are on the market, I don't see why we don't go for it

Drafting Hughes shouldn’t have any impact our goal of rebuilding, imo.

Stay the course. Avoid contracts that can be detrimental in 3-4 years. Avoid the idea of an accelerated rebuild.

We’ve never done this before... Let’s do it right. Take our lumps. Let the kids play a lot of invaluable minutes. When they start maturing then look towards free agency and fill the gaps.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Drafting Hughes shouldn’t have any impact our goal of rebuilding, imo.

Stay the course. Avoid contracts that can be detrimental in 3-4 years. Avoid the idea of an accelerated rebuild.

We’ve never done this before... Let’s do it right. Take our lumps. Let the kids play a lot of invaluable minutes. When they start maturing then look towards free agency and fill the gaps.
If we trade Hayes & Zucc for picks/prospects and land Hughes on top of that, I think we're set up pretty well. We'll have all the cap space in the world, and potentially two huge fish on the market who have been linked to us. We already know Panarin would love to play in NYC, not to mention with Kravs, Buch & Shesty. And I'm sure Karlsson wouldn't mind playing with Hank & Zibby. I think we could be an actual powerhouse, and still be full of very young players who would be taken in under the wing of the best defenseman of our generation, the best goalie of our generation, and one of the best Russian forwards.
Do you consider Panarin & Karlsson to be contracts that would be detrimental in a few years?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I have to say, you got me worried when you said that our management see Pionk as foundation for our D. I don't doubt that at all.

It's just that we've seen it before. They took a player in Girardi who was never good and just made him into top pair D because they decided he should be.

At first, it was lack of options, as some would argue it is now, but when other options presented themselves, they never challenged Girardi, simply because he was Girardi.

As much as I shat on Girardi, that was really unfair to him.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Incoming Barzal 6 pts in back to back games against us. Going to be an exhilarating afternoon. Since, after all, this team even when good always shows up to Saturday afternoon games.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00