2019 1st Round Pick Watch / Scoreboard and Standings Thread

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I see a team with a less favorable schedule in the second half, a defense that is predictably collapsing on itself, and rookies who have hit the wall.

Combine that with the loss of some key players — via trade and injury (always happens), and I see a team right around the 5th overall pick.

If this team were to suffer a major injury to one of Zibanejad, Kreider or Lundqvist, I think that would pretty much be a death blow.

But as is, I’m sticking with my 4-6 prediction and splitting the difference at 5.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Now 4th worst in goal differential. Dead last in ROWs and we haven’t even started the sell off yet. I also don’t think this coach is getting thru to anyone. At least not this group. And that may be more on the soft personnel than him I’m not sure.

But 5 pts clear of dead last. I think we’re headed for the bottom 3. Really do. You have Zibanejad go down forget it god forbid. Hank goes down? You’re done.

I don’t think there is a team below us right now that’s actually a worse team than us.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Once the deals are made we’ll have younger hungry players come up or over and we’ll win some which will keep us from getting the best odds for #1 OV

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Once the deals are made we’ll have younger hungry players come up or over and we’ll win some which will keep us from getting the best odds for #1 OV
You mean like all these wins in the last two weeks since Hayes got injured? What have you been watching?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The funny thing about this team is that...as bad as the defense has been...and it's been bad..I feel like the forwards are more disappointing....the puck support in the defensive zone is sketchy at best. Still lots of vigneault in their games.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
You mean like all these wins in the last two weeks since Hayes got injured? What have you been watching?

Same as you buddy. When we call up hungry young players with players acquired in the deadline deals the team will win some on that alone (passion, proving they belong, ect)

I’m not taking about Chytil or Anderson or the deangelo types... talking guys who haven’t seen NHL ice before.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Same as you buddy. When we call up hungry young players with players acquired in the deadline deals the team will win some on that alone (passion, proving they belong, ect)

I’m not taking about Chytil or Anderson or the deangelo types... talking guys who haven’t seen NHL ice before.

So let me get it straight - replacing Hayes and Zuke with some guys who haven’t seen nhl ice before (not Chytil or Andersson as you specifically noted) will produce guaranteed wins?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So let me get it straight - replacing Hayes and Zuke with some guys who haven’t seen nhl ice before (not Chytil or Andersson as you specifically noted) will produce guaranteed wins?
The way that person is describing it sounds kind of implausible, for sure. I inderstund the premise, though. It's like after the TDL last year we immediately went 6-2-2 or something like that. And we had been something terrible like 3-14 the month leading up to it. Of course we then won just 2 of our final 11 or whatever. :laugh:

I get the idea, though, as guys are dragging a little, knowing they're probably going to get traded. Other guys don't know what will happen to them. The rest, they're feeling it, too, because their buddies might be on the way out. I imagine it's a weird feeling being on a team like ours headed to the deadline, when anywhere from 5-10 players could conceivably be traded.

And then the deadline comes and goes, the remaining guys can chill out and get back to just worrying about playing. Some younger guys come up who have been chomping at the bit and they provide a jolt of energy. You have less talent than you did before but the guys are more motivated, more focused.

That's the theory, anyway. Whether it happens that way is obviously impossible to know.

Reactions: Elliman

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
35 games left and we have 43 points. IMO we'll end up low 70's--maybe less than that depending on who we trade. That will probably put us in the worst 5 or 6. We're not going to be worst and we'll be lucky to get in the top 3.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
35 games left and we have 43 points. IMO we'll end up low 70's--maybe less than that depending on who we trade. That will probably put us in the worst 5 or 6. We're not going to be worst and we'll be lucky to get in the top 3.
It’s possible we could be worst. We are 4 points out of the bottom and have the least regulation and overtime wins. They are going to get worse before they get better

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The way that person is describing it sounds kind of implausible, for sure. I inderstund the premise, though. It's like after the TDL last year we immediately went 6-2-2 or something like that. And we had been something terrible like 3-14 the month leading up to it. Of course we then won just 2 of our final 11 or whatever. :laugh:

I get the idea, though, as guys are dragging a little, knowing they're probably going to get traded. Other guys don't know what will happen to them. The rest, they're feeling it, too, because their buddies might be on the way out. I imagine it's a weird feeling being on a team like ours headed to the deadline, when anywhere from 5-10 players could conceivably be traded.

And then the deadline comes and goes, the remaining guys can chill out and get back to just worrying about playing. Some younger guys come up who have been chomping at the bit and they provide a jolt of energy. You have less talent than you did before but the guys are more motivated, more focused.

That's the theory, anyway. Whether it happens that way is obviously impossible to know.
I understand that a relief after the TDL could bringing the team together to put together a few wins but it won’t be these new guys who’d be driving such streak.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
I think the Rangers will bless fans with a whole bunch of losing seasons for quite some time.

I don't agree. I think Shesterkin, Lindgren, Miller, Lundqkvist, Hajek, Kravtsov will energize this team. I also think there is a really good chance Panarin signs here. He loves NY and is reported to want to play here. You bring him here, your team becomes a lot better right away. For the first time I'm starting to believe that Chytil will take a big step forward offensively fairly soon. Andersson when he rounds out his game will be a winning player.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Athletic's Dom Luszczyszyn had the Rangers 4th yesterday morning. The Rangers have been as high as 6th when they were playing well earlier this season.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-14-at-9.19.18-AM.png

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Another big night tonight.

DET/ANA - hope for DET ROW
NJD/CBJ - hope for NJD ROW
LAK/MIN - hope for LAK ROW
FLA/MTL - hope for FLA ROW
STL/NYI - hope for STL ROW

If the LAK/FLA/DET games go as hoped and NYR lose in regulation, that effectively drops us to 26th (not 27th b/c DET has more GP, which is first tiebreaker atm) and within 3 pts of 31st

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I understand that a relief after the TDL could bringing the team together to put together a few wins but it won’t be these new guys who’d be driving such streak.
I could see Andersson making an impact. I've been of the opinion that had Andersson taken Howden's minutes a couple months ago and Howden taken a fourth line role, that there would have been increased production there. I could also see Bigras stepping in for a Smith or Staal or McQuaid and improving production. Otherwise you'd have to "hope" that someone like Spooner came back and played well like he did last year.

Otherwise, they're far more likely to be worse after the TDL. I can however see a scenario where in-house guys come up and provide some improvement. Even a guy like Meskanen could be better than a Namestnikov in terms of production. But that's all speculation.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I could see Andersson making an impact. I've been of the opinion that had Andersson taken Howden's minutes a couple months ago and Howden taken a fourth line role, that there would have been increased production there. I could also see Bigras stepping in for a Smith or Staal or McQuaid and improving production. Otherwise you'd have to "hope" that someone like Spooner came back and played well like he did last year.

Otherwise, they're far more likely to be worse after the TDL. I can however see a scenario where in-house guys come up and provide some improvement. Even a guy like Meskanen could be better than a Namestnikov in terms of production. But that's all speculation.

I'll say it's highly doubtful. The only fringe NHL up front right now is Nieves and maybe Howden (McLeod has a specific role). I'd be VERY surprised if any current Wolfpacks could come in and do better than these guys and even more so than the Rangers next higher tier like Buchnevich, Fast, Namestnikov or Vesey. That includes Andersson where I know our opinions differ - Howden hasn't done much but even that was way better than anything that Andersson has done.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't have The Athletic so I can't post an update of what RB posted, but here is Tankathon after last night:

Untitled.png

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I think the Rangers will bless fans with a whole bunch of losing seasons for quite some time.

Remarkable how well we do with later round selections and undrafted players, compared to first round selections. Then again, we went quite some time without a first round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->