Prospect Info: 2019 1st Round Pick: Philip Broberg Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I don't think he is. He just doesn't have the pure skill to be a big offensive producer and I don't ever see him scoring 10 goals in the NHL like Nurse did last season, even 40 points is a stretch IMO unless he gets some significant PP time.

I've seen enough of his games to see that he rushes the puck a lot but lacks the ability to finish, his offensive instincts are pretty average, not a consistently great passser and his shot while improved is NHL level average. Not trying to knock him as he has a lot of other good qualities, it's just that he lacks high end offensive skill. Bouchard has high end offensive skill.
You don’t think broberg has a higher offensive upside than nurse who averages 5 goals a season?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
This is what I see as well. He doesn't have the offensive IQ or high-end offensive skills to be a real threat to score by the looks of things. However, if he can exit the zone with the puck under control and skate out of danger in his own zone (both of which he appears to do quite well in fact), that is a very valuable skill to have. I personally don't see a top-pairing guy that can also play on your PP (even a 2nd PP to be honest), but I see a guy who could be a 2nd pairing guy who chips in with 15-20 points a year.

To compare him to our current Dmen, he is almost a mix of Nurse and Klefbom, without Nurses physical play, or Klefboms bomb shot (at least before his shoulder injuries). He has better wheels than Nurse, and seems to have a slightly better idea of what to do with the puck on the rush than Nurse. He doesn't have Klefbom's shot, but his superior skating and similar or slightly better size should allow him to cover more defensive territory than Klefbom does.

I think it is really going to boil down to his defensive awareness and ability to play sound positional hockey, as it does for many dmen I suppose. But with Broberg, his physical attributes are so good, that if he can at least be average positionally, he can make up the rest with speed + size.

Nurse doesn't have high end offensive skills either but he still manages to get 25+ points. Broberg has way more hockey IQ and skill than him. He will not just be a 15-20 points scorer

Reactions: voxel

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I don't think he is. He just doesn't have the pure skill to be a big offensive producer and I don't ever see him scoring 10 goals in the NHL like Nurse did last season, even 40 points is a stretch IMO unless he gets some significant PP time.

I've seen enough of his games to see that he rushes the puck a lot but lacks the ability to finish, his offensive instincts are pretty average, not a consistently great passser and his shot while improved is NHL level average. Not trying to knock him as he has a lot of other good qualities, it's just that he lacks high end offensive skill. Bouchard has high end offensive skill.

Except Broberg is 19 playing a mens league. Wait till he's 22

Reactions: MoontoScott

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You don’t think broberg has a higher offensive upside than nurse who averages 5 goals a season?

I don't. His offensive skills outside of the puck rushing are pedestrian.
Are you expecting Broberg to average more than 5 goals a season throughout his career? I'd be shocked personally.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Just give him one of these and he'll kill it.

jonas-siegenthaler-long-stick.jpg
The stick he uses basically looks like that already.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I also don’t, people forget Nurse was a good Junior player offensively also.

Now I think Nurse’s offensive contributions are greatly under appreciated here.

Those aren’t numbers to scoff at

Agreed, and the defensive skills are bit over appreciated to balance it out.
It's the opposite of Klefbom whose offense is overrated but defense is underrated (until last year when he was a mess defensively).

I actually think Nurse is a bit better offensively than Broberg. His shot is better.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
I don't think Broberg will get PP opportunities early in his career. If he gets PP time, then yeah, I would think his points total will go up. Also, Nurse was playing top-line mins, which I don't think Broberg will play. I might be a little shy on his points, but I don't think by very much. His offensive outputs in the SEL have not been very good at all.

I know you don't specifically state it, but it seems like you are saying one reason you project low point totals for Broberg compared to Nurse will be due to Broberg getting lower PP time (and thus less PP points). I just wanted to point out that Nurse doesn't get much PP time either. Regarding his point totals I think he only has like 15 points on the PP of 74 points scored over the last 2 seasons.

Not argumentative, just though I would point it out.

I was not excited over the Broberg signing, but I have come around. I hope it translates well to the NHL when he is ready for the big step.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010

You're completely ignorning what Brobergs rushing ability will have on Mcdavid/Drai/RNH/Yamamoto, though. Unlike Nurse when Broberg rushes the puck he actually drives it towards the net or knows when to pass the puck instead of skating himself into a position where there is only dumping the puck back into the corner (the Nurse special) as an option. Nurses shot is pretty much average if we want to be real about that as well since the majority of his shots are crest placed with nobody in front of the net and he doesn't exactly have much escapability in the offensive zone if a player is coming at him to play him one on one while Broberg has the size and skating to be a Barrie in the offensive zone.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You're completely ignorning what Brobergs rushing ability will have on Mcdavid/Drai/RNH/Yamamoto, though. Unlike Nurse when Broberg rushes the puck he actually drives it towards the net or knows when to pass the puck instead of skating himself into a position where there is only dumping the puck back into the corner (the Nurse special) as an option. Nurses shot is pretty much average if we want to be real about that as well since the majority of his shots are crest placed with nobody in front of the net and he doesn't exactly have much escapability in the offensive zone if a player is coming at him to play him one on one while Broberg has the size and skating to be a Barrie in the offensive zone.

Spector debunked that in an article earlier in the year.

Nurse was near the top of the league for defensemen creating scoring chances off entries. He had as many scoring chances created off entries as the rest of the Oilers D core combined.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't think Broberg will get PP opportunities early in his career. If he gets PP time, then yeah, I would think his points total will go up. Also, Nurse was playing top-line mins, which I don't think Broberg will play. I might be a little shy on his points, but I don't think by very much. His offensive outputs in the SEL have not been very good at all.
Check Nurse's even strength point totals.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Nurse was near the top of the league for defensemen creating scoring chances off entries. He had as many scoring chances created off entries as the rest of the Oilers D core combined.
Do they count his weird shots he does from the corner as a scoring chance? Got a link to the article? It sure sounds like it makes my argument invalid. Lol

Reactions: Oilhawks and Zaddy

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Do they count his weird shots he does from the corner as a scoring chance? Got a link to the article? It sure sounds like it makes my argument invalid. Lol

It was on Oilersnation. I think it was called something along the lines of "Entries leading to shots and scoring chances". For some reason I'm getting an error when I try to go on the site right now.

Reactions: NoSavesFromKosko

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I mean if him taking the zone and then firing a muffin to the crest counts as a scoring chance then that doesn't really say much.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

What about Broberg's game makes you confident that he'll be a big goal scorer at the NHL level?

He's just not a high level offensive producer. Never has been and likely never will be.
IMO, you guys are setting the bar too high if you think he'll be a bigger point producer than Nurse.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Broberg has yet to demonstrate that he has any high-level offensive acumen. I was hopeful that he'd taken a step forward in that direction with how he started the season but he has regressed to his normal level. That's not to say it can't develop in the future but at this point it seems doubtful he'll be a big point producer in the NHL.

I think his biggest strength will lie in being a rock solid player at 5v5 who breaks up the play and quickly moves it out of the zone. If he can do that and put up ~30 points a year that's very valuable still.

I think the bigger question for me actually is just how much he can polish his defensive game over the next couple of years. Will he become elite or close to it defensively? Or will he just be somewhat above-average in that category? That'll make the difference whether he tops out as a #2D or just a #4 IMO.

Reactions: Aerrol and Aerchon

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I mean sure? I didn’t say klef was an offensive stud either...

edit : Wow klef had terrible 5on5 offensive numbers hey? Geez
Yeah Klefbom’s numbers away from Mcdavid and Drai are not great, and he wasn’t great offensively last year. If anything Nurse’s numbers are better than indicated because he spends a-lot of minutes away from them and doesn’t get PP time.

So getting back to the thread, if Broberg ends up anything like Nurse you are probably thrilled

Reactions: Aerchon

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yeah Klefbom’s numbers away from Mcdavid and Drai are not great, and he wasn’t great offensively last year. If anything Nurse’s numbers are better than indicated because he spends a-lot of minutes away from them and doesn’t get PP time.

So getting back to the thread, if Broberg ends up anything like Nurse you are probably thrilled
Nurse spends lots of minutes away from McDavid/Drai?

Edit : Correct.. we are getting off topic. Yep drafting a player that ends up as good as nurse is usually a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad