2018 whl bantam draft

hockey247

Nov 28, 2017
I know HPL Alliance has pretty much all the top end BC players and some Manitoba RHA kids. This is a very good tournament for US college exposure.

hockey247

Nov 28, 2017
Did anyone see that DraftGeek had Cole Sillinger outside of their updated top 10?

Welcome to DraftGeek

Can anyone explain ............................................
Can anyone explain why Cale Makar was an 8 th round pick or why the top overall picks from the 2013 and 2014 bantam draft were not even invited out to team Canada . These guys all make mistakes and don't know everything. These list are funny!! Do you think each WHL team actually shares who they like ? Does GM tell Ford their business! Western Elite uses dad's for scouts so how objected is that list? lol

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Anyone have an opinion on the Junior chowder cup? I have heard canadian teams also attend this apparently very heavily scouted tournament in Boston.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Apparently, I didn't explain very well.

DraftGeek had Sillinger as a top ranked player in previous rankings, so I was wondering if anyone here knew why he had dropped out of the top 10. Ex. Some sort of on ice performance issue.

I was under the impression Sillinger was a top 3-5 player for this draft, so for me to see him fallen so far down, I didn't understand.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
This sounds like such a great event. Unfortunately some of the best US born players won't be there. This event conflicts with the Pacific District Select Camp (which selects players to participate in the USA Hockey Development Camp). I know players (on the prospect list) who were invited but had to turn it down.

If you attend the local camp they (USA Hockey) directly to Colorado. ( Bypass San Jose) This only effects maybe 6 or 7 kids from the West coast. ( LA Kings) They got a pass last year without attending anything. Does it make other mad, that some players get treated differently ( yeap) but that is the way life is, its not fair,

Jeff V

Nov 8, 2017
If you attend the local camp they (USA Hockey) directly to Colorado. ( Bypass San Jose) This only effects maybe 6 or 7 kids from the West coast. ( LA Kings) They got a pass last year without attending anything. Does it make other mad, that some players get treated differently ( yeap) but that is the way life is, its not fair,

Also affects those playing out of district (IE Shattuck/Delta). My point being 10+ top players miss out on the event when with a little coordination they shouldn't have to. I also noticed that the Chowder Cup has a two conflicting days with the USA National Development Camp in July. Bummer.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Apparently, I didn't explain very well.

DraftGeek had Sillinger as a top ranked player in previous rankings, so I was wondering if anyone here knew why he had dropped out of the top 10. Ex. Some sort of on ice performance issue.

I was under the impression Sillinger was a top 3-5 player for this draft, so for me to see him fallen so far down, I didn't understand.

He is a very good player, These sites are going by scouts who watch a game or two and them move to the next game. Teams know are line matching against him( since he has most of the goals) SO he has the top players against him. He also does not have alot of help, on that team. He was at the West Coast Camp in the summer of 2017 in Port Alberni. He is very good. I would not read into this at all.
He is a top 1o, If the top 7 or 8 teams need def players they will draft them, or a top goalie( thou thats uncommon) St Albert will show more since many teams have 3 or 4 scouts at this event.

Each team by know has a list of the players they are looking at ( know they will sit and follow these players at this tournament( its really the last chance to see them playing against top teams.
( No one is going to watch St Georges play their league games) but this is where they can see if they are real or not so much) It will also depend on if a top player will go to a WHL thats less desirable.

If a top 12 player will go to a team they no one else will go to ( this player could jump to top 5)
In the end ( This kid can go anywhere he wants) NCAA or CHL. He is good, Dont read into 1 these sites, If you want to know more ask any scout about a player. Not a web site.
If that makes sense.

Reactions: Deif

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
I know HPL Alliance has pretty much all the top end BC players and some Manitoba RHA kids. This is a very good tournament for US college exposure.

All the Goalies and Def and most of the Forwards for World Selects -Team Western Pacific. Which is why I like this unbiased selection , which was made from Rock,Chill and Pat Quinn Tournament. I believe Alberta has also been selected.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
The WCAN team going to Philly has been selected, shy one D man spot.

Goalies;
Loch Gordon
Drew Sim

Defense;
Matty Smith
Nollan Allen
Marc Lajoie
Keagan Slaney
Corson Ceulemens
*One D Man in talks

Forwards;
Ty Mueller
Zach Stringer
Josh Medernach
Sean Tschigerl
Dylan Guenther
Cole Sillinger
Zach Ostapchuk
Matt Savoie

Last edited:

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Team Alberta will be very good with these players. The Coaching group did a good job.

As for next week at JRT. Calgary Bisons will be without Grubbe for a few games, against the Royals over the past weekend 16 mins of PIM, plus ejection, vs Royals in a 0-6 loss.
Since they will play OHA Edmonton and Delta Green on day one, This team may be out very quickly.
He needs to control his temper, He was tossed out at Rocky Mtn in front of many scouts, just due to frustration. Other teams know that its easy to get under his skin and they already do this. He has very good hockey skills and size, but if he can not control his temper, then no amount of talent will fix this.
Hope he turns it around. Sitting in the stands at this age does not help anyone.

Last edited:

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
Team Alberta will be very good with these players. The Coaching group did a good job.

As for next week at JRT. Calgary Bisons will be without Grubbe for a few games, against the Royals over the past weekend 16 mins of PIM, plus ejection, vs Royals in a 0-6 loss.
Since they will play OHA Edmonton and Delta Green on day one, This team may be out very quickly.
He needs to control his temper, He was tossed out at Rocky Mtn in front of many scouts, just due to frustration. Other teams know that its easy to get under his skin and they already do this. He has very good hockey skills and size, but if he can not control his temper, then no amount of talent will fix this.
Hope he turns it around. Sitting in the stands at this age does not help anyone.

Did he get a few games or is he also missing due to PIM, I know the ambhl disallows players for games if the PIM are too high.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
Did he get a few games or is he also missing due to PIM, I know the ambhl disallows players for games if the PIM are too high.

You are right though, getting ejected from games on multiple occasions doesn't look good at all. Although, there are other examples as well...In Edmonton I watched a OHA D man break his stick over his crossbar in frustration after getting beat and scored on. This type of reaction reflects character....character goes a long way when scouts are watching.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
Really quiet on here considering the completion of the John Reid Memorial this past weekend.
NAX got redemption over LA Jr Kings in the final with a 5-3 win for the gold.
Savoie proves to be the absolute best of the 04 group and somehwat better than many of the 03's.
Guenther showed an amazing talent all weekend as well.
Lajoie back from injury played very well.
Gordon played 5 of 6 games and showed he is a top goalie contender for the draft as well.
The NAX as a whole, has really improved and it can no longer be said that they are a one line team anymore.

Was a great weekend of hockey. Some teams predicted to do well didnt quite hit the mark. Oha edmonton really didnt fare well. Yale is a force that will be a tough contender for the csshl playoffs, they went to an ot shootout against NAX, anyones game from that point. RHA is another strong team that will do very well in the playoffs as well.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
As much as small players are still making noise in both the WHL and NHL draft lists, if the big guys can skate well, they are still in very high demand. As for the John Reid, I didn't get there this year. Heard Savoie at NAX was really good and a dman from LA jrs was excellent.

Steele

Jan 4, 2018
I was at the final of the John Reid the other day and it was a great game! Savoie again was excellent, but I was also surprised by NAX third line with DeGraves and Parker. DeGraves had a goal off a beautiful pass from Savoie and also pulled off some incredible moves on the LA defencemen, with one leading to Parkers goal. Parker seems to be a hard-nosed winger who also has some puck skill. Was great to see as now that coaching staff is putting more faith into that third line, and they didn't stop rolling until a few minutes left in the third!

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
I was at the final of the John Reid the other day and it was a great game! Savoie again was excellent, but I was also surprised by NAX third line with DeGraves and Parker. DeGraves had a goal off a beautiful pass from Savoie and also pulled off some incredible moves on the LA defencemen, with one leading to Parkers goal. Parker seems to be a hard-nosed winger who also has some puck skill. Was great to see as now that coaching staff is putting more faith into that third line, and they didn't stop rolling until a few minutes left in the third!
I totally agree! Hence the comment above about NAX no longer being a one line team. Jack Parker has really turned on the top gear since the xmas break. I have watched all NAX games and he has become a very crucial player lately. Nicki Degraves as well, his hands have always been sick! He has also found his place in the ranks as well. Cale Ashcroft is an 04 d man, short but built like a brick shit house. He has really improve this season as well and has the hockey smarts to boot. Zack Ostapchuk is a thrill to watch as well. He can move up the ice controlling the puck at the same time as holding a very physical presence. Lucas Ciona was a steam train this past weekend. In the RHA/NAX game, he pummeled Lambos and Alare constantly, effectively throwing them off their game.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
The WCAN team going to Philly has been selected, shy one D man spot.

Goalies;
Loch Gordon
Drew Sim

Defense;
Matty Smith
Nollan Allen
Marc Lajoie
Keagan Slaney
Corson Ceulemens
*One D Man in talks

Forwards;
Ty Mueller
Zach Stringer
Josh Medernach
Sean Tschigerl
Dylan Guenther
Cole Sillinger
Zach Ostapchuk
Matt Savoie

After St Albert -Team Pacific has most of their players. But not all Forwards. I hope these two teams get to play against each other. As I have spoken about before if you take too many PIM you are not on theses lists.

Dunsford
Milic
Gabrielson
Serraglio
Campbell
Shugrue
Bentham
Benson
Thornton
Seminoff
Verbicky
Bruce
Stankoven
Wong
Chiasson

Last edited:

Pedro44

Aug 25, 2017
Hearing from my buddies friend kid that ND has 4 players on their AA Bantam team that scouts are talking to, including both of the goalies. My question is why wouldn't they be on the AAA team?

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Hearing from my buddies friend kid that ND has 4 players on their AA Bantam team that scouts are talking to, including both of the goalies. My question is why wouldn't they be on the AAA team?
Maybe the goalies and player's didn't show well at the beginning of the year when they were making the teams as well as the fact that most Prep spot's are promised to players before the season starts and money paid by the parents with the guaranteed spot on the Prep team for their kid. Or maybe the 4 kids on the AA team are still good enough for scouts to be interested but the ND Prep team players are even better still and will go in the earlier rounds of the draft? Academy's scout and recruit all year before the next season. Kids all reach their peaks at different times so pretty hard to anticipate who's going to show a huge improvement the next year especially at these ages.
Not the first time this has happened. There have been Varsity or AA players and goalies drafted and Prep players and Prep goalies not drafted. Different teams also look for different types of player's as well. Lot's of factors to consider I suppose. Only promise in life unfortunately is that one day we will all die. LOL Sad but true!!!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->