2018 whl bantam draft

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
Pretty exciting stuff, some real "feel good" stuff going on for Gordon and his family needless to say it is also well deserved. By the sounds of it he couldn't have done anymore than he did and he also couldn't have had a better audience with all the scouts and agents there.
Do you know if Gordon is leaning towards the WHL or NCAA path?

Well, we know Gordon somewhat, my kid has played with him since Loch was 5 yrs old. From what it sounds like, he will be entertaining the WHL route.

Reactions: Hotwheels

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
I should say, that being said, i don't know for sure.
Absolutely understandable. Sometimes it's hard to know until your there regardless of what you plan for. The future holds no promises aside from the fact that we will all die one day of course. I think a lot of families whose son earns the pleasure of being given a choice will have a hard time deciding until the moment comes.

Last edited:

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
I don't believe anyone has mentioned the fact that Trevor Wong has made a verbal agreement with U of Denver. This happened a few days ago. I guess his stock in the WHL draft is bound to drop.

hockey247

Nov 28, 2017
Was fortunate enough to watch the NAX /RINK series this weekend in Winnipeg. Two outstanding games that showcased some really high end players from both teams. I certainly can see why the stands were full of scouts even though a bantam AAA tournament was going on across town. Several of the players on that ice are going to be excellent WHL or college players down the road . Cheers to both teams for showcasing such great hockey.

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Judging by the scores and looking at the box scores they must have been fun games to watch!!! John Reid Memorial Tournament should be a hell of a weekend of some great hockey!!

Last edited:

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
First regular season loss tonight for NAX. 9 game winning streak to start the season was a great run though. That leaves OHA Edmonton as the only team to not have lost a regular season game YET but they have also played less games than anybody else with 8 games under their belt.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
First regular season loss tonight for NAX. 9 game winning streak to start the season was a great run though. That leaves OHA Edmonton as the only team to not have lost a regular season game YET but they have also played less games than anybody else with 8 games under their belt.
NAX did lose to Delta. Tough loss missing Hyland and Heward for the whole weekend.
BWC beat OHA EDM 4-3 last night as well.
Big game this morning NAX vs BWC

Last edited:

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
BWC kicked the hell out of NaX this morning in a 7-2 game. NAX sure missing Hyland and Heward. Plus their top D man Lajoie out with a pulled muscle during the game. They could not keep up with BWC and it got ugly. Gordon pulled as he struggled to keep the hounds at bay with a very weak defense in front of him. Albers played the rest of the game and tried hard as well, but NAX was out of it before the mid point of the game. I dare to say that you will see a completely different team in Delta next week. Sometimes you need to see the good in losses like this, a learning tool for both the players and the coaches.

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Never hurts to lose sometimes I agree. Keeps people in check and grounded. Mind you missing a couple guy's never helps either. Looks like BWC had a good weekend which surprised me.

jetsfan1224

Apr 4, 2013
BWC are a good team , better then I think most people realize. The Rink went undefeated this weekend but of the 4 wins only 2 of the teams were strong.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
BWC are a good team , better then I think most people realize. The Rink went undefeated this weekend but of the 4 wins only 2 of the teams were strong.
They are very good team. strong on the d side. Milic is a great goalie who played very well. He won the first period by stopping a ton of shots from Nax which combined with them losing their top d man, really sunk the ship for Nax.

hockey247

Nov 28, 2017
D man were huge in the BWC/ RINK game as well as 2 goals from Thornton and shoot out winner from Lambos. From watching some of the other games I would have to say some of the top d in the league were certainly on display for the scouts in Edmonton .

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Well some great hockey today. BWC's goalie Thomas Milic sure made the difference against OHA Edmonton. Watching the score was hard to understand with OHA Edmonton controlling the play 90% of the time and the shots being 31-17 for OHA. Another goalie I thought played very well today was Cole Savage from DHA green. Both the goalies I mentioned in my opinion did not just play very well but won the games for their respective teams.
Defenceman Noah Dorey from OHA Penticton continues to impress me. He makes good plays, battles hard, nice passes and can really skate well with the puck when he decides to rush. He makes mistakes sometimes as well but when he is on his game boy he is fun to watch!!

Steele

Jan 4, 2018
Who are some of the best undersized (I'm talking like 5'4 and under) players for the upcoming draft. I'm realitively unfamiliar with this draft class but they're always seems to be a couple players that hit growth spurts when they grow older and become studs. Could somebody give me some names that this would apply too?

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
To give more info on talent in 2018 , and where 03 players stand.

The World Select Tournament is in Philly for 2018. This is the players that have been scouted all over. This is kinda like the Brick but on a world stage. You cant just sign up and play. You have to tryout. In the USA this is only done in Buffalo NY. Which was done between Xmas and New Years. This is for the players that feel that are good enough, but not selected, or play in a area where they may have not been seen.

Western Canada has a team which is 99% Alberta. The Coach has had a few for a few years. Team Pacific Selects ( Mostly HPL Alliance) with a few changes is BC. This has nothing to do with how WEHP, the Scouting News or the amateur hockey report.

While most of them are on here its more about team and less about I. They also look at how players hold their composure. A few players form South Alberta area need to work on this, Getting kicked out of tournaments for losing control is not good. While WEHP will not address this , it is a big deal.

This list is not posted as of yet, not sure if it will be until the tournament starts. No tryouts for these teams. Hockey Canada,USA Hockey, NCAA,CHL, USHL are all at this event.

I dont know the WHL Draft dates, But I thought it was around this time.

CAA has signed at least two players from Canada. That is about all they take, To give you an idea,
a few years ago CAA selected Jost and Fabbro. There are many good agents and groups that help players.
While I did not attend the Pat Quinn I find it very hard to believe that the MVP did not go to the BWC Goalie ( they have no back up) You hold Yale to 1 goal. You play 7 games give up 12 goals.
Yes Wong played well. But the words MVP how could it not go to him- IMO ( MVP-s rarely got to goalies)

I am also finding WEHP getting more watered down trying to create income with know the 05's.
I dont even think he should talk about 04's till March. The site seems to be more on point totals the actually hockey sense , skill and no fear. When you win 11-0 and boost about 6 pts .Playing in a tournament where a AA player is playing in A. This is not the same as playing in the Med Hat or Rocky Tournament. But they seem to put them all together. I would hope they would break it down on positions. Plus when they are still advertising that they need scouts. So the same scouts are not evaluating each time, So they really cant see if a player is improving if they do not watch them all season, if that makes sense.

Also kudos to the DHA White goalie who get put in the game 0-2 with 5 mins in the 1st period and beat the DHA green in a shoot out.

Anyways that it for know.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Did anyone see that DraftGeek had Cole Sillinger outside of their updated top 10?

Welcome to DraftGeek

Can anyone explain ............................................

Pedro44

Aug 25, 2017
How do you compare a goalie that has a 5.00 GAA to a goalie that has a 2.00 GAA. If the goalie that has the higher GAA is seeing an average of 45 shots a game compared to 17 shots per game on the 2.00 GAA goalie? Does the 45 shot per game goalie get overlooked because of his GAA?

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
How do you compare a goalie that has a 5.00 GAA to a goalie that has a 2.00 GAA. If the goalie that has the higher GAA is seeing an average of 45 shots a game compared to 17 shots per game on the 2.00 GAA goalie? Does the 45 shot per game goalie get overlooked because of his GAA?

You can't (Don't read into WEHP or other sites too deep) GAA is not as important as SV%. If a goalie (A) has a 2.00 GA and and SAV% below 870. This shows that he does not get many shots and the ones he gets tend to go in. Anything above .907 is good, above .915 is very good.

If a goalie (B) has a GA of 5.60 per game but a SV% of .907. He is a very good goalie on a poor team.
A scout would take the goalie (B) first over goalie (A)
Scouts will see this, many of the Internet Scout providers do not see every game and just see segments or stats. Plus the Time keepers are not the best at keeping shot counts. Most of the time they are off b 5-10 shots. So save % stats are not great either.

Theses site rank goalies with players which is wrong.
The CJL teams rank players by position 3 excel sheets one for forwards, one for def, and 1 for goalies. Hope this helps.

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Who are some of the best undersized (I'm talking like 5'4 and under) players for the upcoming draft. I'm realitively unfamiliar with this draft class but they're always seems to be a couple players that hit growth spurts when they grow older and become studs. Could somebody give me some names that this would apply too?
Holden Cardinal from DHA Green coming in at 5'3" 115 lbs is the best player under 5'4" that I have seen. Keeping in mind I haven't really been on the look out for a player that fits this description either. The Merriman brothers Carson and Connor one from DHA green and one one on DHA white are two players that are very small but I have not paid a lot of attention to that you could take a look at. Holden Cardinal though I do remember really enjoying watching him skate.

Last edited:

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Did anyone see that DraftGeek had Cole Sillinger outside of their updated top 10?

Welcome to DraftGeek

Can anyone explain ............................................
Well as I am sure you can see from reading some very informative post's in this forum these projected draft list's that some websites come up with are to be taken with a grain of salt and are subjective to many different opinions, financial backings and the type of evaluation strategies they use.

Jeff V

Nov 8, 2017
To give more info on talent in 2018 , and where 03 players stand.

The World Select Tournament is in Philly for 2018. This is the players that have been scouted all over. This is kinda like the Brick but on a world stage. You cant just sign up and play. You have to tryout. In the USA this is only done in Buffalo NY. Which was done between Xmas and New Years. This is for the players that feel that are good enough, but not selected, or play in a area where they may have not been seen.

Western Canada has a team which is 99% Alberta. The Coach has had a few for a few years. Team Pacific Selects ( Mostly HPL Alliance) with a few changes is BC. This has nothing to do with how WEHP, the Scouting News or the amateur hockey report.

While most of them are on here its more about team and less about I. They also look at how players hold their composure. A few players form South Alberta area need to work on this, Getting kicked out of tournaments for losing control is not good. While WEHP will not address this , it is a big deal.

This list is not posted as of yet, not sure if it will be until the tournament starts. No tryouts for these teams. Hockey Canada,USA Hockey, NCAA,CHL, USHL are all at this event.

I dont know the WHL Draft dates, But I thought it was around this time.

CAA has signed at least two players from Canada. That is about all they take, To give you an idea,
a few years ago CAA selected Jost and Fabbro. There are many good agents and groups that help players.
While I did not attend the Pat Quinn I find it very hard to believe that the MVP did not go to the BWC Goalie ( they have no back up) You hold Yale to 1 goal. You play 7 games give up 12 goals.
Yes Wong played well. But the words MVP how could it not go to him- IMO ( MVP-s rarely got to goalies)

I am also finding WEHP getting more watered down trying to create income with know the 05's.
I dont even think he should talk about 04's till March. The site seems to be more on point totals the actually hockey sense , skill and no fear. When you win 11-0 and boost about 6 pts .Playing in a tournament where a AA player is playing in A. This is not the same as playing in the Med Hat or Rocky Tournament. But they seem to put them all together. I would hope they would break it down on positions. Plus when they are still advertising that they need scouts. So the same scouts are not evaluating each time, So they really cant see if a player is improving if they do not watch them all season, if that makes sense.

Also kudos to the DHA White goalie who get put in the game 0-2 with 5 mins in the 1st period and beat the DHA green in a shoot out.

Anyways that it for know.

This sounds like such a great event. Unfortunately some of the best US born players won't be there. This event conflicts with the Pacific District Select Camp (which selects players to participate in the USA Hockey Development Camp). I know players (on the prospect list) who were invited but had to turn it down.

Jeff V

Nov 8, 2017
I have never seen a draft list which combines USA with Canada for the top 10-20 overall players for the draft. Does one exist? Does anyone have say the top 50 WHL players regardless of birth place?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->