2018 whl bantam draft

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
I really dont understand WEHP. They tell one side only

WesternEliteHockeyPr‏ @WEHPscout 2h2 hours ago
More
Jayden Grubbe and Dylan James each with 5 point games yesterday in a Calgary Bisons 7-0 win! 04 born Koehn Ziemmer 2 more goals for PAC. Grubbe leads league w/61 pts, Ziemmer in goals w/31.

While scoring is very important , There are other factors which WEHP does not account for.

Grubbe also leads the entire league in PIM. So much so that he missed the John Reid Tournament.
I am not picking on this one person, more giving you facts that WEHP does not tell the entire story on a player, They only focus on Points.
They never bring this up, nor do they bring up goalies in more detail.

A goalie could have sv% -890 and a GA of 4.40. But if his team is in the box for 20 mins a game, that takes it toll. That is never brought up on this site. I dont think WEHP attends as many events as perceive to be.

IMO
I realize this is an old post but wanted to interject. Definitely he looks at points or stats. I have seen kids that can score and do nothing else get rated higher than a 200ft player. I don't think he goes to events either as sometimes his information is incorrect, like saying someone scored because it is on the scoresheet that way but the ref got it wrong and the audience would know it was not that player (because he was not even on the ice). That makes it a dead giveaway.

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
Starting to wonder if WEHP scouts are really scouting these games. Have the latest newsletter, and there's an 04 player listed in the 60s who's a top 10, maybe top 5 talent in the age group. Also isn't playing for an obscure program.
I know this is also an old post but I recently saw a post by him stating a kid scored a few goals when indeed they were scored by another kid but the ref made a mistake (the kid that got credit was not on the ice and the numbers are very close). I have also seen one kid on the list twice as well as kids that should be on the list are omitted.

Last edited:

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
Totally agree. I dont think its as cut and dry as some seem to think. I couldn't afford the academy cost, but we made it work as that was what we deemed the best fit for our son. And yes, some higher end do get discounted rates and others "pay to Play", this is very true.
But we feel we did the right thing this season and our boy was drafted in the third round today, a lot having to do with his academy training.
We loved the program, but we are unsure of what he will be doing this year, so for us we have to get back to the drawing board and figure out what the best route would be. As said above, if there is no room for him on the prep midget team at the school he is at now. So do we play Elite 15's? Or do we make the move back to club hockey and try out for Midget AAA? I know we will think it through and hopefully do whats best for his development.
I would like to know what you chose to do?

WHLINDEPENDANT

Oct 24, 2018
a few other items on why some players did not get selected. Its possible they have already decided to go college if they are not a top 20 and they decided when they speak to the GM's will take a player less skilled , but more a of a% of playing in the WHL. over half the DGA Green was not selected, and either goalie. But this does leave the door open to attend any WHL camp they like or get invited too.

No Coach can teach two items. Size or heart. Many teams went with size since its a sure thing.
I would like to see how many players were drafted 5'9 and under. Then look and see how many were Def and Goalies, Those who were have enough heart to take a chance.

Heart is standing in front of your goalie , knowing you are going to get hit, speared, punched,
then You can really tell when the puck goes into the corners and who glides in and who skates the entire way. Those 3 extra strides make a difference.

You cant compare teams or leagues. If a goalie has great numbers , is it him or the def in front of him. According to the Scouts It was Delta Green Def. 6 of the 8 were selected and no goalies.
So look for a team where the goalies were selected with lower GAA. and few Def selected.

Yes it takes time. But with some detective work you can see what they saw.

NAX,RHA.YALE all had well balanced teams. DHA had Def , BWC had goalies and were either high picks or very low. in the end it really does not matter. ( but try telling the players who were high on WEHP and not selected)
I know this is an old post but are you telling me there were kids high on WEHP that didn't even get drafted? How about kids that were low and DID?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->