2018 whl bantam draft

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
As far as I know Bantam AA is the highest Bantam league in SK. That is where the top players get drafted from in SK.
Yes you are correct AA is the highest level of play in the Saskatchewan Minor Hockey League. ND has 2 Bantam teams with the lower level Bantam team playing AA in the Sakatchewan Minor Hockey League and what is supposed to be their highest level Bantam team playing in the CSSHL (Canadian Sport School Hockey League) Prep Division.

Last edited:

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
You are both correct, I cant tell you that many kids are not on any web site ranking that get drafted, Then the websites come back with ( Well that was a shock ! ) No it was not, These sites just dont really do there homework, they copy form web sites speak to a few people.

How can they compare a player who score 6 goals a game in almost a house league, to a player playing in midget , who are both the same age. But they do. You have stats are are not even correct. But they seem to post them regardless. St Albert was not even close, WEHP were a day behind on some twitter feeds, knowing full well they were not even at the event.
They talk about Player X score 7 points against a team that is no where equal, But when they play a equal team( you hear nothing) No one wants to bash a kid( but they are not even realistic.
Of all I think Draft geek is somewhat close...... IMO . The U16 show is also a mess.

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
You are both correct, I cant tell you that many kids are not on any web site ranking that get drafted, Then the websites come back with ( Well that was a shock ! ) No it was not, These sites just dont really do there homework, they copy form web sites speak to a few people.

How can they compare a player who score 6 goals a game in almost a house league, to a player playing in midget , who are both the same age. But they do. You have stats are are not even correct. But they seem to post them regardless. St Albert was not even close, WEHP were a day behind on some twitter feeds, knowing full well they were not even at the event.
They talk about Player X score 7 points against a team that is no where equal, But when they play a equal team( you hear nothing) No one wants to bash a kid( but they are not even realistic.
Of all I think Draft geek is somewhat close...... IMO . The U16 show is also a mess.
I'm not very informed so I would love to hear your thoughts on why the BC Hockey U16 is a mess or U16 period. I have heard this before but never any explanation or reasons.

Last edited:

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
A few reasons,
Its open to everyone, So you have 30+ goalies at each location(city). They only take up to 16, depends on how many show up. So you pay a fee, then the goalies get maybe 1 hour, then ( they can get a refund and are sent home) So you make a point to attend this event and pay in advance.

* BC hockey should be looking all year long for players and invite them.

If you can't make it, your out ( Dr note may help) but if its a wedding or a death in family -nope) you get the point.
They have House players playing against Academy players. They try to mix it up. But the game is either to fast for the house players or to slow for the Academy players. Its no disrespect towards anyone. But its not fun to watch. Some players and parents have false hopes, and egos of parents and players kick in.

Then they start playing games and its all about individual effort, very little passing, or team play. So House players never touch the puck , and Academy players think they deserve to be there( Showboat)

Then lets say you get to the next round 8 teams ( oh you pay another fee $$( its a week long)
8 teams kids from all over. Maybe 15% are from no-academy teams. They play every day and workout,etc( for kids not used to this, its not easy) Plus all the kids stay together for their teams in a area.sleep,hangout,etc. Good for some, Some dont last.

Yes BC Hockey is there and they have a group judging the players ( they are looking for 35 players ( 2 teams) out of the 8. So they have a championship game( The coaches are usually BC-MML. Since it is BC hockey. Then you wait and you get a email saying your invited to the Island for another week( approx.) oh You have to pay again $$$. They stay in dorms with older players as advisors. Then they play games against each other.

Oh wait its not done. They then have a short list ( 3 goalies, 12 Def, 20 Forwards) They may select 6 players and sign on the spot
. They then watch MML games or Where you play. Before it was all MML( prior to academies) So then around. They then select the team around November. Then if you are selected for the team( which is a honor to Rep BC. ( You then start practicing for two weeks in Dec) Oh bring your check book. Then you go play against Alberta, Sask , etc.
* This is year a little different since its a Olympic year, so all Canada provinces will have a team.

Its it a good program - I guess, if you are 1 of the 17.
Its alot of money and time, plus you have a very sad kid ( or 95 % of you will)
They do it to make money. They could pick 4 teams through the year. But they make it a huge deal. But this is a cash cow for Hockey Canada.

I like U17 which is invite only period. Not reason U16 is not the same.

IMO

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
A few reasons,
Its open to everyone, So you have 30+ goalies at each location(city). They only take up to 16, depends on how many show up. So you pay a fee, then the goalies get maybe 1 hour, then ( they can get a refund and are sent home) So you make a point to attend this event and pay in advance.

* BC hockey should be looking all year long for players and invite them.

If you can't make it, your out ( Dr note may help) but if its a wedding or a death in family -nope) you get the point.
They have House players playing against Academy players. They try to mix it up. But the game is either to fast for the house players or to slow for the Academy players. Its no disrespect towards anyone. But its not fun to watch. Some players and parents have false hopes, and egos of parents and players kick in.

Then they start playing games and its all about individual effort, very little passing, or team play. So House players never touch the puck , and Academy players think they deserve to be there( Showboat)

Then lets say you get to the next round 8 teams ( oh you pay another fee $$( its a week long)
8 teams kids from all over. Maybe 15% are from no-academy teams. They play every day and workout,etc( for kids not used to this, its not easy) Plus all the kids stay together for their teams in a area.sleep,hangout,etc. Good for some, Some dont last.

Yes BC Hockey is there and they have a group judging the players ( they are looking for 35 players ( 2 teams) out of the 8. So they have a championship game( The coaches are usually BC-MML. Since it is BC hockey. Then you wait and you get a email saying your invited to the Island for another week( approx.) oh You have to pay again $$$. They stay in dorms with older players as advisors. Then they play games against each other.

Oh wait its not done. They then have a short list ( 3 goalies, 12 Def, 20 Forwards) They may select 6 players and sign on the spot
. They then watch MML games or Where you play. Before it was all MML( prior to academies) So then around. They then select the team around November. Then if you are selected for the team( which is a honor to Rep BC. ( You then start practicing for two weeks in Dec) Oh bring your check book. Then you go play against Alberta, Sask , etc.
* This is year a little different since its a Olympic year, so all Canada provinces will have a team.

Its it a good program - I guess, if you are 1 of the 17.
Its alot of money and time, plus you have a very sad kid ( or 95 % of you will)
They do it to make money. They could pick 4 teams through the year. But they make it a huge deal. But this is a cash cow for Hockey Canada.

I like U17 which is invite only period. Not reason U16 is not the same.

IMO
Thanks for your reply!!! Yes it is very expensive and absolutely no way they can properly evaluate goalies in an hour with the amount of goalies that show up for the first skate.
Money is a huge factor for so many people nowadays who can't afford Academy's, the private imstructors, dryland training, cost of equipment, traveling etc. Leaving the kid's with with no money no chance of ever getting anywhere with it. You are also correct about the kids who don't make it being very hard on themselves over it all.
I wonder what happens if a kid makes it and then when they find out how much the next stage cost's to attend and their parents can't afford it does BC Hockey/Hockey Canada help them out or are they only interested in money?

Last edited:

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Hockey Canada Profits around 200k per province Just for U16 alone
2million per yr. Not including U15's

Someone has to pay for the U18 and U20 teams to go to Europe.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
I really dont understand WEHP. They tell one side only

WesternEliteHockeyPr‏ @WEHPscout 2h2 hours ago
More
Jayden Grubbe and Dylan James each with 5 point games yesterday in a Calgary Bisons 7-0 win! 04 born Koehn Ziemmer 2 more goals for PAC. Grubbe leads league w/61 pts, Ziemmer in goals w/31.

While scoring is very important , There are other factors which WEHP does not account for.

Grubbe also leads the entire league in PIM. So much so that he missed the John Reid Tournament.
I am not picking on this one person, more giving you facts that WEHP does not tell the entire story on a player, They only focus on Points.
They never bring this up, nor do they bring up goalies in more detail.

A goalie could have sv% -890 and a GA of 4.40. But if his team is in the box for 20 mins a game, that takes it toll. That is never brought up on this site. I dont think WEHP attends as many events as perceive to be.

IMO

Reactions: bawkbawk

Jeff V

Nov 8, 2017
I really dont understand WEHP. They tell one side only

WesternEliteHockeyPr‏ @WEHPscout 2h2 hours ago
More
Jayden Grubbe and Dylan James each with 5 point games yesterday in a Calgary Bisons 7-0 win! 04 born Koehn Ziemmer 2 more goals for PAC. Grubbe leads league w/61 pts, Ziemmer in goals w/31.

While scoring is very important , There are other factors which WEHP does not account for.

Grubbe also leads the entire league in PIM. So much so that he missed the John Reid Tournament.
I am not picking on this one person, more giving you facts that WEHP does not tell the entire story on a player, They only focus on Points.
They never bring this up, nor do they bring up goalies in more detail.

A goalie could have sv% -890 and a GA of 4.40. But if his team is in the box for 20 mins a game, that takes it toll. That is never brought up on this site. I dont think WEHP attends as many events as perceive to be.

IMO

So what is the best source for the upcoming draft which includes the entire population the WHL is looking at?

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Copy and paste then charge $$$ to read it. Draft geek does a better job, and focus more on the draft players, not 04,05,06 07. Focus on one thing and do it right. Greed has taken over. No point in ranking 05's when they have not even played in a league where hitting is part of the game. That site has changed in the past 24 months.

Jeff V

Nov 8, 2017
Copy and paste then charge $$$ to read it. Draft geek does a better job, and focus more on the draft players, not 04,05,06 07. Focus on one thing and do it right. Greed has taken over. No point in ranking 05's when they have not even played in a league where hitting is part of the game. That site has changed in the past 24 months.
I'm not advocating for any of them, I am simply asking if there is a source out there that ranks the true 2003 class. For example WEHP ranks Hreschuk #1 in the US, Draft Geeks only looks at Canadian players and lists Lambos at number one. So where does Hreschuk or Lambos slot in when both lists are combined? Doesn't anyone out there rank the entire class regardless of birth place? Again, to clarify, both sources provide rankings which separate US Players from Canadian players so we really don't know the true ranking of prospects.

Last edited:

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
This was from a Sports Agency back in June 2017, I know of two on this list that are with CAA Hockey.
It does not rank them in a order. But gives you an idea, East Coast and West Coast.
There is no McDavid or Barzel this year, It depends on what the team needs. Many will stay in School( for some reason) that matters to a few sites. USA players tend to go to School or USHL. Keeping school as a option.
And after all these tournaments, they seem to be very close.

East Coast 2003

Charles-Alexis Legault F Lac St-Louis Lions Nord Bntm AAA
Zach L'Heureux F Lac St-Louis Grenadiers Bntm AAA
S. Pastujov F Compuware
Jack Devine F Chicago Mission
Connor Lockhart F Ottawa Senators
Justin Odonnell F Toronto Nationals
Aiden Castle F Don Mills Flyers

James McGregor D Don Mills Flyers
Sean Behrens D Chicago Mission
Ethan Del Mastro D Toronto Marlies
Sam Volturo D Detroit Compuware

Nick Larrabee G Chicago Mission
*Johnny Angerman G Compuware
Christian Bergmann G Toronto Nationals
William Rousseau G CMI Panthers
Zalari Brice G Little Caesars

West Coast -2003

Zack Stringer F Lethbridge Golden Hawks
Chaz Lucius F Minnesota Gentry Galaxy
Sean Tschigerl F OHA Edmonton Prep
Christopher Alexander F SSM
Cole Sillinger F Regina Aces

Carson Lambos D Rink Hockey Academy
Aidan Hreschuk D LA Jr. Kings
Matt Smith D DHA-G -Prep
Spencer Shugrue D LA Jr Kings
Nolan Allan D Humboldt Broncos

Carter Puente G Minnesota Gentry Galaxy
Tyler Brennan G RHA
Lucas Massie G Anaheim Jr. Ducks
Liam Vanderkooi G YALE
Alex Bonrouhi G LA Jr Kings

Jeff V

Nov 8, 2017
This was from a Sports Agency back in June 2017, I know of two on this list that are with CAA Hockey.
It does not rank them in a order. But gives you an idea, East Coast and West Coast.
There is no McDavid or Barzel this year, It depends on what the team needs. Many will stay in School( for some reason) that matters to a few sites. USA players tend to go to School or USHL. Keeping school as a option.
And after all these tournaments, they seem to be very close.

Capitals03 thank you so much!! That is awesome. It's just too bad no one seems to keep up with this IE an updated version since June 2017. Maybe you should fill this niche, copy, paste and charge all of us for your subscription. :)

Thanks again.

Reactions: Hotwheels

AlexMargoni1994

Feb 18, 2018
Who are the top Saskatchewan players from the Bantam AA league? I know Klassen had 52 goals and is a great player. Who else stands out in that league?

Hotwheels

Jan 17, 2017
British Columbia
Delta White won the President's Day Cup in Arizona with 4 wins 1 tie. Delta's Varsity team was also there with 3 losses and 1 tie. Hearing rumours about there being a big brawl there. Anyone know anything about it?

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Here are the rosters for the World Select Tournament over the first week of May.

I hope these two teams play against each other. The Russian team is also very good.

Team Western Canada Selects - (Alberta )

Goalies
Loch Gordon
Drew Sim

Def
Matt Smith
Nollan Allen
Marc Lajoie
Keagan Slaney
Carson Ceulemens

For
Ty Mueller
Zach Stringer
Josh Medernach
Sean Tschigerl
Dylan Guenther
Cole Sillinger
Zach OstapchuK
Matt Savoie

Team Pacific Selects ( BC)

Goalies
Mason Dunsford
Thomas Milic

Def
Alex Serraglio
Nolan Bentham
Hudson Thornton
Spencer Shugrue
Oliver Gabrielson
Elias Carmichael

Forwards
Skyler Bruce
Trevor Wong
Eric Alarie
Craig Armstrong
Matt Seminoff
Caedan Bankier
Finlay Willams
Kobe Verbicky
Logan Stankoven
Aston Taylor

Jeff V

Nov 8, 2017
Too bad it's the same weekend as the Pacific District Select Camp. Many top players will have to miss out.

Capitals03

Nov 29, 2011
Most of the Western players do not come from the LA, Last year there was only 2 or 3 that played in the tournament from the Kings, and played for Pro Hockey.
So the impact is not very strong. Most of the USA players come from the east coast or from the Mid North area ,with the travel costs of LA thur the season costs take its toll.

The LA does very little spring, most would go to the USHL Combine in Chicago in late April. They also have a WHL Combine in Anaheim and the Cali Prospect Camp. This is the last Spring Tournament as team play is considered. But yes it would be nice to see them play against the two top teams in Western Canada.

Maddox

May 24, 2017
Edmonton
Goalies
Loch Gordon
Drew Sim

Def
Matt Smith
Nollan Allen
Marc Lajoie
Keagan Slaney
Carson Ceulemens

For
Ty Mueller
Zach Stringer
Josh Medernach
Sean Tschigerl
Dylan Guenther
Cole Sillinger
Zach OstapchuK
Matt Savoie

Missing Blake Heward as another D Man

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Starting to wonder if WEHP scouts are really scouting these games. Have the latest newsletter, and there's an 04 player listed in the 60s who's a top 10, maybe top 5 talent in the age group. Also isn't playing for an obscure program.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->