Confirmed with Link: 2018 Training Camp discussion thread

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I have bailed on Ottawa, can't take more of their incompetence and dumb-assery.

Am I welcome in this forum? I like Buffalo's future and there are many exciting players both on the big team, and among prospects.
Of course your welcome. But you could have picked a more up-and-coming team to which to switch your allegiance. :laugh:

Bufflo doesn't have an owner who actively tries to destroy the franchise.
Not overtly destroy, like the bridges in "the good the bad and the ugly" and "A Bridge Too Far". Some feel our owner is more covert, like in "the Bridge Over the River Kwai".

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I have bailed on Ottawa, can't take more of their incompetence and dumb-assery.

Am I welcome in this forum? I like Buffalo's future and there are many exciting players both on the big team, and among prospects.
We’re like Ottawa with money. Welcome. Don’t expect playoffs anytime soon though.
You’ll get to experience enough pain with us to really enjoy the stanley cup in 23/24!

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Not to be a turd, or say that it would have changed the season in a big way. But on a team that had zero depth and brought in a non fighting Nolan, DLo would have been useful last year, so I’m not sure in retrospect that is really a good trade to be remembered fondly.
Actually it’s been fondly remembered by those who cover the Amerks as well as the organization generally. Redmond was a great get for the farm who brought leadership and production.

As for Des, we lacked talented depth. He doesn’t fix that and you know that. I should be surprised this is even being argued but I’m not since Botts detractors trotted this out before.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Botts also loses all credibility with his "guys can earn jobs" mantra. If Nylander flops he flops, but for the integrity of the organization he should be in the starting lineup for the start of the season, he's earned it.

This is a bit much.

Nylander has been good this camp and is forcing himself into the discussion to start here. He may even pull it off. But it’s not a travesty if he doesn’t make it. From my perspective his play is being over hyped due to having so little in the way of expectations for him. The reverse of how posters are evaluating Mitts.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Again, it's that they got rid of a player who was clearly playing for his life in camp, who looked good in viewing and was en-route to his best pro season, and replaced him with a coach's pet completely devoid of upside.

Had they made that trade to bolster Rochester and get players with higher potential variance - a different waiver claim or an in-form AHLers - in the lineup, it's a completely different story.

Keep in mind, the Sabres are - or at least were - so far away from the diminishing returns of incremental talent that they should have taken every opportunity to improve the team. Botterill didn't and has yet to.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
This is a bit much.

Nylander has been good this camp and is forcing himself into the discussion to start here. He may even pull it off. But it’s not a travesty if he doesn’t make it. From my perspective his play is being over hyped due to having so little in the way of expectations for him. The reverse of how posters are evaluating Mitts.

If he doesn't make the team, I think whether or not you can call it a bad decision depends on who ends up staying with the big club instead of him. If it were up to me I'd keep him up as of right now, but we'll see what happens.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If he doesn't make the team, I think whether or not you can call it a bad decision depends on who ends up staying with the big club instead of him. If it were up to me I'd keep him up as of right now, but we'll see what happens.
I can still be a bad decision but I don’t think it invalidates the competition idea.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I can still be a bad decision but I don’t think it invalidates the competition idea.

Might not invalidate it completely (again, would depend on who else ends up staying), but it certainly wouldn't do much to support the argument if Nylander is sent down.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
This is a bit much.

I'm more confident that if we're only keeping one kid for a sheltered scoring role, Nylander is providing the most immediate production. That's a combination of physical readiness, shift-to-shift-engagement, and not having to play center while learning what works and doesn't at NHL speed.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Might not invalidate it completely (again, would depend on who else ends up staying), but it certainly wouldn't do much to support the argument if Nylander is sent down.

I total understand why posters would feel that way and I get it. I just don’t agree for a few reasons.

As I posted previously, I think his game is being a overrated a bit due to non existent expectations coming into camp. I think some are so excited that he seems to finally get it and is taking a big step forward they are overplaying where he is. I also don’t think there are that many top 9 spots open. For a guy that still needs work I can see the organization sending him down to get that work and ice time. I would actually view Thompson getting sent down as a better example

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm more confident that if we're only keeping one kid for a sheltered scoring role, Nylander is providing the most immediate production. That's a combination of physical readiness, shift-to-shift-engagement, and not having to play center while learning what works and doesn't at NHL speed.
Fair points and I certainly wont be mad if he stays.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Fair points and I certainly wont be mad if he stays.
Nylander made that one-handed dump in after controlling the puck against a couple of Pens last night, right? I watched on a tiny screen and was confusing him and Thompson all night.

Anyway, if I'm attributing it right, those are the type of skill plays in traffic that have really surprised me so far in the preseason. My expectations for Alex were that he'd pop up in space to provide a nice shot or skill play, but would go quiet for shifts at a time. Basically, his scouting report to-date, scaled to tougher competition. Instead, his burst, vision, stickhandling, body control, and overall command of space have been noticeable. His work in transition has been really strong as well.

As for his line, I'm having a really difficult time projecting things at the moment because I'm tempering expectations for Mittelstadt. He'll be fine long-term, but I don't want to saddle 92 with a struggling linemate, or Casey with an unproven defensive player. Now, if we're going to drop 37 all the way to a sheltered 3A/3B role, I'm much more in favor of stacking the kids in that spot. There's also the prospect of flipping him to RW.

I'd honestly like to see Alex get run with Eichel before the preseason expires, I'd like to see how he fares in a more complimentary role (and with higher end talent). I'm also thirsty for Jeff Skinner data points with literally any other center, as I firmly believe him dragging a depth line to relevance is the only way this team is competitive.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
This is a bit much.

Agree to disagree, that's cool. I've always maintained he needs to be playing with Buffalo, with other skilled players. He should just GET that chance to start off with the big club (he has even earned a spot IMO with preseason play). As I have said, if it does not work out send him down.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Nylander made that one-handed dump in after controlling the puck against a couple of Pens last night, right? I watched on a tiny screen and was confusing him and Thompson all night.

Anyway, if I'm attributing it right, those are the type of skill plays in traffic that have really surprised me so far in the preseason. My expectations for Alex were that he'd pop up in space to provide a nice shot or skill play, but would go quiet for shifts at a time. Basically, his scouting report to-date, scaled to tougher competition. Instead, his burst, vision, stickhandling, body control, and overall command of space have been noticeable. His work in transition has been really strong as well.

As for his line, I'm having a really difficult time projecting things at the moment because I'm tempering expectations for Mittelstadt. He'll be fine long-term, but I don't want to saddle 92 with a struggling linemate, or Casey with an unproven defensive player. Now, if we're going to drop 37 all the way to a sheltered 3A/3B role, I'm much more in favor of stacking the kids in that spot. There's also the prospect of flipping him to RW.

I'd honestly like to see Alex get run with Eichel before the preseason expires, I'd like to see how he fares in a more complimentary role (and with higher end talent). I'm also thirsty for Jeff Skinner data points with literally any other center, as I firmly believe him dragging a depth line to relevance is the only way this team is competitive.

Sheary Eichel Reinhart
Nylander Berglund Someone
Skinner Mitts Okposo

Give Nylander Berglund
Give Eichel Sheary
Give Mitts 2 Vets

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Nylander, Thompson, or Mittelstadt being sent down has no bearing on how Botts foresees the rest of the season.
that's a nasty line

Nylander Mitts Thompson

Smith Asplund Oloffson

Guhle Borgen 25 mins a night ( Seriously run these boys to the ground whip him into shape )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad