Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline Debacle | We acquired *what?*

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
They’re gonna trade Hutton for a mediocred return and extend Gudbranson and Vanek to multi-year contracts book it.

Reactions: dim jim

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Last year I was surprised and impressed with the deadline and then was overwhelmingly happy with the draft, if this deadline goes well and the following draft is also a successful one it would be fair to say Benning is A) improved and B) not controlled by ownership

It’s not impossible

Reactions: VancouverJagger

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
In an ideal world we'd trade all of Tanev, Vanek and Gudbranson and any other players who don't fit into the future rebuilt team two or three years down the road. Boston is a good example where they traded Hamilton, Lucic and Boychuck and managed to draft well even while blowing the Seguin trade and having a questionable draft where they passed on Barzal.
Unfortunately though we don't have the Bruins defensive depth so likely only one of Tanev and Gudbranson gets traded. We also don't have many extra forwards other than Vanek who teams would want. If we end up trading Vanek and Gudbranson for decent picks I'd be satisfied.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Vanek and Gudbranson both having a run of strong play at the right time. Hope they keep it up.

Benning's comments about wanting a big, physical forward who can score are confusing. How about...you just start putting Virtanen in some actual offensive situations? Like the PP for example? That would cost nothing.

Additionally, size shouldn't be the be all and end all. It's nice, but speed, skill and actual hockey playing ability should be the identity we go for. It's something our top players and prospects - Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette - have in common. So build an identity around that, like Tampa. Heck, even Virtanen has speed and skill when he's given the opportunity to showcase it.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
In an ideal world we'd trade all of Tanev, Vanek and Gudbranson and any other players who don't fit into the future rebuilt team two or three years down the road. Boston is a good example where they traded Hamilton, Lucic and Boychuck and managed to draft well even while blowing the Seguin trade and having a questionable draft where they passed on Barzal.
Unfortunately though we don't have the Bruins defensive depth so likely only one of Tanev and Gudbranson gets traded. We also don't have many extra forwards other than Vanek who teams would want. If we end up trading Vanek and Gudbranson for decent picks I'd be satisfied.
I 100% agree with you. Trading Tanev would reap the most rewards. It would take a lot of guts to trade Tanev tho- let’s see if they have it.

Reactions: drax0s

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I sort of though a Eriksson for Phaneuff trade might work - bad contract for bad contract, but the Sens moved him to LA.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Trading Tanev now is the best move. He is a great piece on a winning team still in his prime with great contract. He fits like a glove for Toronto. If we can get 2 good pieces and a 3rd lesser it is a worthwhile move. Demott a first and a 5th or Timmy L. and 2nd and a forth. A 1st and two seconds. Kapenen a first and a third. I think something should be workable. Tbay should be interested. They have a lot of recent picks doing very well to go with their 1st. Canucks should know Foote very well. The Bruins trade players in their prime. Must give them credit as they turned the pieces over early and avoided a total rebuild. Too late for Vancouver but trading Tanev would be a good start to kick start a true rebuild. If there is anymarket for Gudbranson you trade him but if he can only get a 3rd or less maybe a resign while trading Tanev is not so bad. He does fit a need here. Edler I have given up on trading though the way he is playing he is worth a lot. A 1st plus type deal. I would trade Del Zotto for any pick. We need some bold moves to turn this around. If they just let things go as they are we are looking at 2024 at the end of the rebuild. Trading Tanev etc maybe we can move it up to 2021 or so.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Trading Tanev now is the best move. He is a great piece on a winning team still in his prime with great contract. He fits like a glove for Toronto. If we can get 2 good pieces and a 3rd lesser it is a worthwhile move. Demott a first and a 5th or Timmy L. and 2nd and a forth. A 1st and two seconds. Kapenen a first and a third. I think something should be workable. Tbay should be interested. They have a lot of recent picks doing very well to go with their 1st. Canucks should know Foote very well. The Bruins trade players in their prime. Must give them credit as they turned the pieces over early and avoided a total rebuild. Too late for Vancouver but trading Tanev would be a good start to kick start a true rebuild. If there is anymarket for Gudbranson you trade him but if he can only get a 3rd or less maybe a resign while trading Tanev is not so bad. He does fit a need here. Edler I have given up on trading though the way he is playing he is worth a lot. A 1st plus type deal. I would trade Del Zotto for any pick. We need some bold moves to turn this around. If they just let things go as they are we are looking at 2024 at the end of the rebuild. Trading Tanev etc maybe we can move it up to 2021 or so.
Agreed. It's interesting that when you look at the Bruins rebuild that they have done so well even though they botched the Seguin trade and made three questionable first round picks when they could have had Barzal. So it's not like you need to be perfect but having lots of picks helps a great deal.
Of course, to be fair, a lot of the Bruins core was younger than ours back in 2011 with Bergeron, Marchand and Rask. And Chara has aged very well.
Imagine though if we had maximized the returns for Kesler, Hamhuis, Luongo and traded Edler once it became clear we were no longer competing.
The Bruins made a lot of the tough decisions that they needed to make and maximized the returns after dumping Chia.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Vanek and Gudbranson both having a run of strong play at the right time. Hope they keep it up.

Benning's comments about wanting a big, physical forward who can score are confusing. How about...you just start putting Virtanen in some actual offensive situations? Like the PP for example? That would cost nothing.

Additionally, size shouldn't be the be all and end all. It's nice, but speed, skill and actual hockey playing ability should be the identity we go for. It's something our top players and prospects - Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Gaudette - have in common. So build an identity around that, like Tampa. Heck, even Virtanen has speed and skill when he's given the opportunity to showcase it.

I don't think he understands how rare and expensive those players are to acquire. You have to draft them. Anyways that kind of player really reminds me of a Zack Kassian who we gave up on when he was struggling with mental illness (I firmly believe that the team waived its right to champion mental illness because of that) or one Matthew Tkachuk, who we elected not to draft.

Reactions: Catbug and megatron

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I would almost be okay with signing Gudbranson to a 3 year contract if it meant we could trade Tanev for max value.

I'd prefer if we sold both of them though.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Who are some younger " physical forwards " who can make plays that benning was talking about ?

I'm not talking about Kane or lucic.. the price for Kane will be too high especially if we can just sign him in the off season.

Charlie coyle?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Friedman on CBC saying that the Canucks have told teams, including Toronto, that if they want to seriously inquire about Tanev that it will take a "special offer".

Tanev for Liljegren and a 1st round pick would be a special offer for me. We get a legitimate high end defensive prospect, and a 1st round pick that's likely to be in the early/mid-20's. Actually with Tanev on that team they could go really far in the playoffs.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Who are some younger " physical forwards " who can make plays that benning was talking about ?

I'm not talking about Kane or lucic.. the price for Kane will be too high especially if we can just sign him in the off season.

Charlie coyle?
Domi is rumoured to be on the trade block.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Last year I was surprised and impressed with the deadline and then was overwhelmingly happy with the draft, if this deadline goes well and the following draft is also a successful one it would be fair to say Benning is A) improved and B) not controlled by ownership

It’s not impossible
Yeah but then the Gagner contract reminded us that Benning is and will always be Benning. And throwing a way another draft pick on a #8/9 dman in Pouliot was another Benning

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Yeah but then the Gagner contract reminded us that Benning is and will always be Benning. And throwing a way another draft pick on a #8/9 dman in Pouliot was another Benning
Gagner was more Benning-lite. I mean if I had to take on a contract - I'd take on 3 Gagner contracts before an Eriksson contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad