Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Better get at minimum of 2nd for vanek and 2nd for RealGudcrapson

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Just looking down the roster right now... Can't believe how truly awful it is. Aside from Boeser, Horvat and Tanev there aren't any players worth anything really. Doubt there is much interest in Gudbranson and Vanek. Maybe Virtanen could get a late 2nd round pick from a team willing to take a chance. Baertschi, Granlund, Hutton, Markstrom, Stecher... these are all dime a dozen players that I doubt are worth more than 3rd round picks. Eriksson, Sutter, Gagner, Nilsson... totally untradeable. Sedins and Edler, not going anywhere. In fact, this roster might have the least value of any roster in the entire NHL.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
For me:

"Home-run" deadline:
3 more picks: 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and a late rounder
+ a D-prospect 20-23 with top 6 potential.

"Good" deadline:
2 more picks: both in the first 3 rounds
+ a decent D-prospect

"Okay: deadline:
1 Pick in the top 2 rounds of the 2018 draft
+ a decent D-prospect

"Poor" Deadline:
1 pick outside the top 2 rounds
+ mediocre prospect

"Bad" deadline:
1 late round pick
+ mediocre prospect

The "OMG how does Benning have a job" deadline:
gain a mediocre prospect or two
lose 1 or 2 picks (any picks) in 2018

Reactions: dwarf

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
The Jim Benning era: where we settle for "good enough" on TDL day because precedent includes "nothing" and "Nikolay Goldobin"
The Jim Benning area: when it is simply better to walk away from a free agent, you gave up prospects and picks for less than two years ago, than resign him.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Just remember last year Vanek was traded for a 3rd and a bad D prospect while having a better year stats wise. Getting a 4th for him would be good enough

Ya I don’t know how anyone can think Vanek returns a 2nd. Precedent is far less than that and I think teams will learn from his poor showing in Florida last year. I’d be happy with just a 3rd.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't understand why there is so much stock being put in club position on certain players re trade deadline. Things like "looking to extend Gudbranson" is exactly what they should be saying even if they have every intention of trading him. What are they supposed to say? "we need to get rid of Gudbranson because he will be too expensive for a third pairing D-man". Of course not.
And with Tanev, saying, at least publicly, that they don't want to trade him is also exactly what they should be saying. Then the conversation with the other team becomes, "well we really don't want to trade him but if the offer is very strong we'll listen?"
Public posturing can be very different from what the club is actually thinking.
(though I wouldn't trade Tanev)

I would like to believe this Gudbranson talk is posturing, but my confidence on that front is very low. Benning is the type of guy who telegraphs his own intentions, to his own detriment (example - being slapped with a tampering fine for his vocal interest in Subban). So when he says his priority is to re-sign Gudbranson, I believe that is truly his intent.

I hope Gudbranson asks for the moon and forces a trade to save Benning from himself.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Meh, hope we keep Gudbranson at this point. His value to the tank is greater than a mid-late 2nd round pick

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I would like to believe this Gudbranson talk is posturing, but my confidence on that front is very low. Benning is the type of guy who telegraphs his own intentions, to his own detriment (example - being slapped with a tampering fine for his vocal interest in Subban). So when he says his priority is to re-sign Gudbranson, I believe that is truly his intent.

I hope Gudbranson asks for the moon and forces a trade to save Benning from himself.

Personally, I think Benning has put himself into a corner with Gudbranson...I believe he made up a fake market for Gudbranson that doesn't exist and now has to backtrack and say he'd rather re-sign him because there isn't a market for him...but Gudbranson's agent is going to negotiate on the fact that Benning has now put himself into a corner.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
For me:

"Home-run" deadline:
3 more picks: 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and a late rounder
+ a D-prospect 20-23 with top 6 potential.

"Good" deadline:
2 more picks: both in the first 3 rounds
+ a decent D-prospect

"Okay: deadline:
1 Pick in the top 2 rounds of the 2018 draft
+ a decent D-prospect

"Poor" Deadline:
1 pick outside the top 2 rounds
+ mediocre prospect

"Bad" deadline:
1 late round pick
+ mediocre prospect

The "OMG how does Benning have a job" deadline:
gain a mediocre prospect or two
lose 1 or 2 picks (any picks) in 2018

What about the one most here fear of nothing added, but signed Vanek and Guddy to extensions?

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Personally, I think Benning has put himself into a corner with Gudbranson...I believe he made up a fake market for Gudbranson that doesn't exist and now has to backtrack and say he'd rather re-sign him because there isn't a market for him...but Gudbranson's agent is going to negotiate on the fact that Benning has now put himself into a corner.
When dealing with these player agents how much experience in negotiation and intelligence does Jim Benning give up. He's the kind of GM Gillis would have destroyed in negotiations. I guess you repeatedly get backed into corners when you don't have a plan and/or experience and those you are competing with have both

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Better get at minimum of 2nd for vanek and 2nd for RealGudcrapson
I don't think this is happening. I think you might see a 2nd for Gudbranson if we take an anchor from the other team.

Tanev is the real chip that this management has that could really improve our team. I predict more injuries for Tanev and it might be the best time to sell. On 1040 last night they were talking about reports from around the NHL that Tanev has been a player inquired on but so far the Canucks have put Tanev in the no go zone. I hope this is purely tactic by Linden/Benning. If Tanev is getting a lot of interest around the league and we can start a bidding war because of it they better strongly consider moving him now.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Meh, hope we keep Gudbranson at this point. His value to the tank is greater than a mid-late 2nd round pick
I doubt you get a 2nd for him, but you are right he is worth more to the tank. Although based on JB's transaction history i have no doubt he go and acquire another tank commander in the summer.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Friedman on CBC saying that the Canucks have told teams, including Toronto, that if they want to seriously inquire about Tanev that it will take a "special offer".

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Unrealistic best Deadline

Vanek + guddy to ?? for a Late 1st or multiple 2nds (lol no chance)
Tanev to Leafs for Marner or Dermott (I am really high on him, really impressive kid) + 1st
Hutton for Jake Debrusk

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
After watching Hamhuis walk for nothing, my expectations are very low.
I'd be ecstatic with a third for Vanek and a trade of Gubrandson.
A trade of Tanev for a high return would shock me but is probably something we should do given that the team isn't going to be competing anytime soon.
My expectation is though that we sign Gud to an extension and stand pat except for Vanek.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Posted this in the GDT since Benning was interviewed at the intermission but it’s probably best suited here

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I'm sure Lucic is available. Benning tried to trade the Boeser pick along with other assets for him and then he tried to give him a similar contract to what Edmonton gave him when he was a UFA. Wonder if he's still interested?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad