2018 Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
May as well post this here - I can't see this team reproducing last years results with Maurice as the bench boss. Absolutely baffling personnel management and inability to adapt strategy during games.

We also don't have Hellebuyck bailing us out like we did a lot of the games in the beginning

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well we were 3-2-1 when I made the tank thread and we've since plummeted to 12-7-2, so yeah..
In the moment I get annoyed by any given loss but keep in mind that all it really matters is being in the top 8 in the West which is virtually a given with our talent and at that point it is about getting hot, being healthy and getting the goaltending. For the life of me I don't know how people have the energy to ride the roller coaster so high and so low all the time. I'm getting older I need to save that for the playoffs.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
In the moment I get annoyed by any given loss but keep in mind that all it really matters is being in the top 8 in the West which is virtually a given with our talent and at that point it is about getting hot, being healthy and getting the goaltending. For the life of me I don't know how people have the energy to ride the roller coaster so high and so low all the time. I'm getting older I need to save that for the playoffs.

We have two wins vs playoff teams. Both at home, Colorado and Washington. Losses to Dallas, Nashville, Toronto twice, Buffalo, Calgary and Minnesota.

We need to win some of those games, 2-6-1 vs playoff teams so far. Keep that up we probably won't be in the playoffs.

We've lost 3 games leading after 2 already. Only lost 2 in that situation last year.

Something is off with this team.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We have two wins vs playoff teams. Both at home, Colorado and Washington. Losses to Dallas, Nashville, Toronto twice, Buffalo, Calgary and Minnesota.

We need to win some of those games, 2-6-1 vs playoff teams so far. Keep that up we probably won't be in the playoffs.

We've lost 3 games leading after 2 already. Only lost 2 in that situation last year.

Something is off with this team.
We will see where we end up, but feel free to spend the season in panic mode. I'm guessing we tussle back and forth with the Wild bouncing from 2nd and 3rd and face the Preds in round 2.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Love it. All it takes is a 2 game losing streak on the road to get the Tank Thread active. Other fan bases must just shake their heads in disbelief if they ever stop by :laugh:

I'm not allowed to go into the positivity thread and crap all over the sentiments expressed there, so how about respecting that this thread exists for the negativity-minded.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not allowed to go into the positivity thread and crap all over the sentiments expressed there, so how about respecting that this thread exists for the negativity-minded.
But it is not a negativity thread it is a tank thread to discuss the option of tanking...pros and cons. If you want a purely negativity thread, where no one can say anything nice/positive just start one.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
This thread pretty much is the negativity thread and the tank thread all wrapped up in one (which, if you consider why you'd want to tank, is considered a positive by many who post here).

I get the sentiment that people want to argue pro vs. anti-tank, but probably best to peruse / post in other threads if the idea of tanking doesn't sit well with you, or create a thread to specifically debate tanking/anti-tanking.

Reactions: Laine Fan

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
This thread pretty much is the negativity thread and the tank thread all wrapped up in one (which, if you consider why you'd want to tank, is considered a positive by many who post here).

I get the sentiment that people want to argue pro vs. anti-tank, but probably best to peruse / post in other threads if the idea of tanking doesn't sit well with you, or create a thread to specifically debate tanking/anti-tanking.
Good call Gin. Time for me to put this thread one ignore. I wasn't a believer in the tank when we were s****, so no way I'm going to buy in when we have this kind of talent on the roster. Just gets me into debates I don't need to be in.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But it is not a negativity thread it is a tank thread to discuss the option of tanking...pros and cons. If you want a purely negativity thread, where no one can say anything nice/positive just start one.

I would, but it would be shut down within seconds.

I think he's right KB, it would get shut down. I think this is the 'negativity thread', just disguised under another name. Is anyone here actually seriously discussing deliberately tanking?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think he's right KB, it would get shut down. I think this is the 'negativity thread', just disguised under another name. Is anyone here actually seriously discussing deliberately tanking?

Tanking for me is the deliberate trade off of aging assets for futures in the hope of re-building a bad team. So no, this is not a team that is in a position to tank in the usual sense. However, this is our 8th season under Chevy and I don't think anyone should be content with just staying above the 6 in 5 mark to squeak into the playoffs and "hope we get hot at the right time". I've felt for some time that this team has to get worse before it can get better. I think Chevy and Maurice have made this team competitive but don't have what it takes to turn it into a serious contender. I think Chevy has already made some critical errors that have hamstrung this team for years to come. Wishing for this team to lose seems to be anathema to many here, but after seeing the same mistakes and deficiencies that have plagued us for years cost us winnable games, it's very hard for me not to go all in on a level of failure that results in a shake up within the organization.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
giphy.gif

Sigh. Another lonely night in the tank thread. :(

:jk:

Reactions: Conflicted Habs fan

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Tanking for me is the deliberate trade off of aging assets for futures in the hope of re-building a bad team. So no, this is not a team that is in a position to tank in the usual sense. However, this is our 8th season under Chevy and I don't think anyone should be content with just staying above the 6 in 5 mark to squeak into the playoffs and "hope we get hot at the right time". I've felt for some time that this team has to get worse before it can get better. I think Chevy and Maurice have made this team competitive but don't have what it takes to turn it into a serious contender. I think Chevy has already made some critical errors that have hamstrung this team for years to come. Wishing for this team to lose seems to be anathema to many here, but after seeing the same mistakes and deficiencies that have plagued us for years cost us winnable games, it's very hard for me not to go all in on a level of failure that results in a shake up within the organization.

I've been thinking along these lines for a while. I have a number of different trains of thought going in that direction. One is that we started going for it a year too soon. Another is that Chevy became a little fixated on 'keeping the roster together/intact'. It has occurred to me that winning the lottery led Chevy to abandon, or deviate from his patient draft and develop strategy.

Whatever the background to it may be, I see deficiencies that do not appear to be getting addressed, at least not successfully. The plan, if there is one, is not apparent.

I'm certainly not wishing this team to lose. I'm just wishing to see steps taken in the right direction, or at least an end to steps in the wrong direction.

All this could turn out to be nothing. Maybe the Jets have an open window for many years. No panic yet.

Reactions: Laine Fan

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Love it. All it takes is a 2 game losing streak on the road to get the Tank Thread active. Other fan bases must just shake their heads in disbelief if they ever stop by :laugh:

I found it really interesting to peruse the Golden Knights' forum ... they are currently 12-12-1 but even back when they had a losing record and were near the bottom of the conference, the atmosphere and prevailing attitude was the polar opposite of here. Everyone was positive and patient, saying, essentially "not to worry, our boys will right this ship". I can't even imagine the meltdown that would be happening here if the Jets had a similar start, considering the outrage over a 13-7-2 record.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I found it really interesting to peruse the Golden Knights' forum ... they are currently 12-12-1 but even back when they had a losing record and were near the bottom of the conference, the atmosphere and prevailing attitude was the polar opposite of here. Everyone was positive and patient, saying, essentially "not to worry, our boys will right this ship". I can't even imagine the meltdown that would be happening here if the Jets had a similar start, considering the outrage over a 13-7-2 record.

I haven't seen any outrage at all over the 13-7-2 record. There is outrage over certain details - like penalties. There is concern for the D corps next year and beyond. That isn't outrage though. Nothing remotely like outrage.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I haven't seen any outrage at all over the 13-7-2 record. There is outrage over certain details - like penalties. There is concern for the D corps next year and beyond. That isn't outrage though. Nothing remotely like outrage.

Umm, I'll confess to some outrage. :blush:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

The team is actually playing pretty well but has been hurt by bad goaltending and low shooting percentages. The trick is to keep the players on the same page until regression turns things around - looks like that's starting to happen. Also the Pacific is so weak. It's like the Jets in the Southwest division during the lockout season...they don't have to run faster than the bear, just run faster than those other suckers (ANA, ARI & EDM).

Also their fanbase hasn't been scarred by false hope yet. Let all their dreams of a successful season turn to bitter ashes in their mouths and we'll see how sanguine they are.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Over certain losses which have contributed to that record.

Yeah, OK.

It shouldn't be about expecting perfection or 100% effort every game - but there were a few games where the Jets did not seem to put out. And then there is the discipline issue.

Honestly though, the discipline, or lack of it is the only one I can get outraged over. I'm still PO'ed at a couple of Chevy's moves but those are in a different category - and the same applies to him. I don't expect perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad