2018 Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
There is a piece I'm missing around the tank thread. With our talent just missing the playoffs would be our worst case scenario, it is an impossibility we are among the bottom feeders, so we have a thread dedicated to the hope we just miss the playoffs and get a mid 1st round pick? Just checking on the motivation.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Our fearless tank commander “retired” and went home to Czech Republic. Time to dig up his phone number.

Reactions: snowkiddin

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Not in the tank yet, but the way the Jets are playing some nights, they definitely have it in for maintenance...

2011.11.11_%EC%9C%A1%EA%B5%B011%EC%82%AC%EB%8B%A8_%EC%A0%95%EB%B9%84%EB%8C%80%EB%8C%80_%EC%A0%84%EC%B0%A8%EC%A0%95%EB%B9%84_%287633936210%29.jpg

Circle your calendar... Nov 22,,, That's the day we will know to put gas in the tank or not.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
There is a piece I'm missing around the tank thread. With our talent just missing the playoffs would be our worst case scenario, it is an impossibility we are among the bottom feeders, so we have a thread dedicated to the hope we just miss the playoffs and get a mid 1st round pick? Just checking on the motivation.
My motivation is just keeping my sense of humour, to be clear.

Reactions: Maukkis

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
If they are going to play like that against Toronto, why not go then all the way for Hughes?

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

I thought the motivation was to have something we used to have, but in an ironic/fun/joking kind of way. Put in some pics of tanks. Make a joke or 2 if we lose a game. I don't think (at least I hope) anybody actually thinks the team is tanking or hoping for a tank job. The window is now. Missing the playoffs would be devastating.

We just came off a homestand where we got 75% of the available points. If you keep that up the entire year and get 50% of the available points on the road we're a 104 point team. (we got 58% of the road points available last season, so 50% should be doable.)

It's probably hard for the Jets to crank it up for a full 60 every game although as fans we want them to. Winning October doesn't mean anything and big picture as long as the points are there at the end of the game I'm not concerned. I also will probably only post in the tank thread to somewhat make fun of it.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I thought the motivation was to have something we used to have, but in an ironic/fun/joking kind of way. Put in some pics of tanks. Make a joke or 2 if we lose a game. I don't think (at least I hope) anybody actually thinks the team is tanking or hoping for a tank job. The window is now. Missing the playoffs would be devastating.

We just came off a homestand where we got 75% of the available points. If you keep that up the entire year and get 50% of the available points on the road we're a 104 point team. (we got 58% of the road points available last season, so 50% should be doable.)

It's probably hard for the Jets to crank it up for a full 60 every game although as fans we want them to. Winning October doesn't mean anything and big picture as long as the points are there at the end of the game I'm not concerned. I also will probably only post in the tank thread to somewhat make fun of it.

Yes, at this point it's all irony. It's the Fun Negativity thread where all the cool kids hang out. That could change if the Jets really do slide out of playoff contention by Turkey Day. Then I'm seriously going for that lottery win. I mean, seriously literally don't make me get out of this chair to yell at kids on my lawn seriously. Seriously. :laugh:

Reactions: Larabee and Ducky10

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Did anybody miss the part where we allowed 39 shots and 21 high danger chances again?

Putting this loss on Helle is just lazy and screams of 'I want the problem to be just one guy.' Guess what, it is not.

This seems like a strawman to me. I don't see anyone claiming Helle blew a game we dominated. Helle was just another cog in a machine of bad hockey. But make no mistake he was full marks for the loss too.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You aren't using enough imagination. As the TD approaches, we are just out of a PO spot. Trouba and Myers are traded for futures. Ehlers hasn't scored in 26 games so he is traded with Wheeler as incentive for another team to eat that contract. With those 4 gone, we might as well tear the thing down. Laine has been playing on Scheif's LW and not scoring at ES. It obviously can't be Laine so Scheifele must be a bad centre. Trade him for more futures.

That should be enough. :laugh:

Reactions: KingBogo

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Good post JJ - but I want to take issue with a couple of points in your last para.
I don't need to see the Jets put in a full 60 in every game. Right now I would settle for a full 60 in any game.
Points in Oct count the same as points in April.

Reactions: Jimmyjets

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Good post JJ - but I want to take issue with a couple of points in your last para.
I don't need to see the Jets put in a full 60 in every game. Right now I would settle for a full 60 in any game.
Points in Oct count the same as points in April.

This is the NHL. No team puts in a “full 60” ever. Anything around 60% analytics wise is complete domination. That still leaves being out played 2 out of 5 shifts.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is the NHL. No team puts in a “full 60” ever. Anything around 60% analytics wise is complete domination. That still leaves being out played 2 out of 5 shifts.

Don't know how you are defining 'putting in a full 60'. No idea what analytics you are using. A weak team could be outplayed on 5 shifts out of 5 and still be putting in 60 minutes of effort.

But OK, assume you are correct that no team ever puts in a 'full 60'. Jets have been putting in between 20 and 40. They've won with 40. Once, they even won with 20. But they are going to need closer to 50 to win with any consistency.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

If this is true, I would like to renew my season ticket commitment after next year at 60% of current value. Otherwise, I think we will go back to supporting the arts with our entertainment dollars. We went to see The Handmaid's Tale a couple of weeks ago. As much as I'm not a fan of contemporary ballet, I had to respect the effort put in. Through the entire performance, not one dancer missed an assignment. When we've gone to the WSO, I can't recall a time when the conductor had to call a time out to berate the string or woodwind sections for shoddy play. Although there was that one time where I think he threw a withering glance at that annoying harpist, but I digress. The point being, some people consider themselves professionals (even though they are paid an order or two of magnitude below NHL players) and put in 100% effort every time.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If this is true, I would like to renew my season ticket commitment after next year at 60% of current value. Otherwise, I think we will go back to supporting the arts with our entertainment dollars. We went to see The Handmaid's Tale a couple of weeks ago. As much as I'm not a fan of contemporary ballet, I had to respect the effort put in. Through the entire performance, not one dancer missed an assignment. When we've gone to the WSO, I can't recall a time when the conductor had to call a time out to berate the string or woodwind sections for shoddy play. Although there was that one time where I think he threw a withering glance at that annoying harpist, but I digress. The point being, some people consider themselves professionals (even though they are paid an order or two of magnitude below NHL players) and put in 100% effort every time.
I betcha they would miss an assignment or 2 if there was another ballet troupe competing to preform at their best at the same time and in the same physical space. There is a big difference between preforming arts and sports where you have an opponent working as hard as they can to end or at minimum interrupt ever effort you make.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
A loss against one of the league’s worst teams, 4 (count ‘em 4!) bums on the blue line and no offense other than the PP! Things are going as planned for the tank!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A loss against one of the league’s worst teams, 4 (count ‘em 4!) bums on the blue line and no offense other than the PP! Things are going as planned for the tank!
We are tied for 11th in points %. Assuming by your glee we have a 1st round loss, we pick 20th. Does that make you happy?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
We are tied for 11th in points %. Assuming by your glee we have a 1st round lose, we pick 20th. Does that make you happy?

Worst case scenario we finish just out of the playoffs. Either go for the pick or go for the Cup! Enough of this win one, lose one crap! :sarcasm:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Worst case scenario we finish just out of the playoffs. Either go for the pick or go for the Cup! Enough of this win one, lose one crap! :sarcasm:
There is no going for the pick. The Jets have moved into contender range. We are at the point that a worst case scenario is just above the mushy middle. Unless we make an Avs type of trade for someone else's pick we aren't going to be anywhere near a lottery pick.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
There is no going for the pick. The Jets have moved into contender range. We are at the point that a worst case scenario is just above the mushy middle. Unless we make an Avs type of trade for someone else's pick we aren't going to be anywhere near a lottery pick.

The players are certainly playing like they believe this. They do need to make the playoffs first, and that's not really automatic. If Trouba, Byfuglien or Morrissey miss 30 games they probably miss the playoffs. That's worst case scenario IMO, we don't have depth to cover those guys.

Based on what I've seen this season our forward depth is overrated, partially by Maurice's usage of our forwards, and our D beyond the top 3 is shit. They really need to pick it up to survive the tougher stretches in the schedule and accumulate enough points to make the dance. Worst case scenario is not that far in the rearview.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

Lottery pick is worthless anyway - take Jets last high pick for example - in that draft Laine went 2nd, but ended up being a 4th liner with a decent PP upside. Puljujärvi 3rd, elite pressbox skills but other than that, a fringe NHLer at best. Dubois, AHL centerman. Out of top5 the only decent player is Matthews, but even he seems physically fragile, but with some conditioning he could end up playing near to a full season in his prime.

Even with a high pick the Jets should pick for position anyway and go for a grit 3rd/4th liner, it's pretty clear the coach likes that type of player better and they would fit to our system of everybody behind Scheifele and Wheeler playing 8 minutes a night. Usually the grit guys are better at coping with such low minutes.

So just missing the playoffs might be the best outcome after all.

Reactions: Board Bard

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Lottery pick is worthless anyway - take Jets last high pick for example - in that draft Laine went 2nd, but ended up being a 4th liner with a decent PP upside. Puljujärvi 3rd, elite pressbox skills but other than that, a fringe NHLer at best. Dubois, AHL centerman. Out of top5 the only decent player is Matthews, but even he seems physically fragile, but with some conditioning he could end up playing near to a full season in his prime.

Even with a high pick the Jets should pick for position anyway and go for a grit 3rd/4th liner, it's pretty clear the coach likes that type of player better and they would fit to our system of everybody behind Scheifele and Wheeler playing 8 minutes a night. Usually the grit guys are better at coping with such low minutes.

So just missing the playoffs might be the best outcome after all.

I think you are exaggerating a bit there...

The fourth line grinders play closer to 4 minutes per game, not 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad