Not open for further replies.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Was not too tough to guess who would have posted something like this. :laugh:

--

Keep it civil, please. That's all.

Uh...oh. Should I be concerned about my "reputation"? Lol! :laugh:

Anyway, I try keep it civil. And thanks for accepting the tank thread! In future worst case scenarios (that I believe will materialize) this thread will be excellent safe haven. Of course, on paper there SHOULDN'T be reasons to think tanking schemes seriously with current Jets roster, but somehow I tend to take it safely now based on seasons long perception of in-built inflexibility of Maurice's tactical schemes (I like him as a person, but not necessarily too much as a coach), and apparent lack of moral within the team currently. A NHL season is usually demanding and competitive enough not to allow periods of shaken de-moralization to continue too long, without that impacting also to a level of final results in the end of the season.

Then, as a typical Tele-TXT page 235 -generation Finnish hockey fan stats watcher (and clips/highlights reels browser), I find it sometimes hard to find good place for various rants with purposes to reduce frustrations (particularly in HFJets forums). You cannot be pretentiously "positive" with your low value rants, and if your idol(s) playing for the team clearly show some issues and underperform, where exactly you can nail your own little nail to a collective coffin in circumstances where practically every other fellow fan can make more in-depth analysis on a topic? I like draw MS-Paint graphs, but if there are nothing to draw I get frustrated enough to search elsewhere...

For example, the one of the best specimens of near past top prospects:
E9FUJ5Y.png

An example of Top Prospect that was saved from the Molok by successful process of rebuilding

I'm sure Jets would be happy to acquire such high performing forwards to fix our offense, and you can't buy these kind of guys from open markets, as we know.

Now, if/when Jets suck enough long that it becomes reasonable course of action to really start yet another tanking cycle and really try save some innocent top hockey prospect from the foul mouth of Molok Edmonton, for sake of The Hockey as the Game as a whole, it is something you (we, and everyone's aunt) need to do. Top prospects can be as valuable than their weight measured in gold, and no way can Jets be managed under a par set by that organizational abomination. Every McDavid -level, or Matthews, Aho etc. level saved prospect will justify the tanking season, that, I hope will be started soon enough, let's say at the end of December.

While waiting that fortuitous moment Jets FO declares their new 4 years project, we can use this thread for other purposes. Art, Literacy, High Philosophy, and for introducing new tank models to wider audiences...

But, that's all basic stuff, and there are certainly nothing positive in it! :naughty::sarcasm::nod:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Jack Hughes would sure look nice between Laine and Ehlers

As an 18 year old would he?
Doubt that combo would look good unless our boys were ready to carry the load themselves.

The lottery takes all of the fun out of tanking for teams that need to.

We are not one of those teams yet.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
In 2001-02 Paul Maurice coached the Hurricanes to the Stanley Cup Final. They lost to Detroit 4 games to 1. The next season 2002-03, Paul Maurice coached the Hurricanes to being the worst team in the NHL. They drafted #2 and picked Eric Staal.

There is lots of experience here. So...if there is anyone that can turn what the Jets did last season into the worst team in the league ( if that's what you want ).... Paul is your man.
he took a garbage team to the playoffs 1 year and couldn't the 2nd year. they were picked to finish in bottom of league the year they went to the final. you forgot to mention that.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
His save % for this season (90.6%) is below the much maligned Pavelec’s career save % (90.7%). The loss was not on Helle but this season’s save % really is below Pavelec’s career totals, think about it. There is no way you can’t include him in the group of players with new fat contracts underperforming.

He was .919 coming into the game last night so let’s hope he gets back there quickly.

Reactions: Tommigun

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Speaking of the tank thread, just realized that @nobody important has not posted here since May of this year. I hope everything is okay.

I'm just fine. I had a meltdown in the Vegas series (sorry about that) and figured I would take a little break and start over. I think my new username has been the kiss of death for Laine. Don't know what's wrong with the boy this year. I'll put some of the blame on his linemates but not all.

And yes, I was actually thinking about starting up a tank thread this morning but I figured it would get shut down like it did last year. I guess two games is too early but six games isn't? Whatever. At least I have a place now to let my negativity horses run free. :laugh:

giphy.gif

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
His save % for this season (90.6%) is below the much maligned Pavelec’s career save % (90.7%). The loss was not on Helle but this season’s save % really is below Pavelec’s career totals, think about it. There is no way you can’t include him in the group of players with new fat contracts underperforming.

Save % over a 5 game sample means diddly squat. Sorry. You just can't use it for small sized samples. Try looking at something a little more meaningful, like quality starts. 4 out of 5 is good.

Ares

May 8, 2018
If we're going to be like the Oilers last season I hope we're at least smart about it... if it starts to look like the season is lost and there's no way we're making the playoffs then it's time to give young players the big minutes. No 10 minutes for Ehlers or Roslovic. Back to good old draft & develop!

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
lol i admire the dedication guys and can relate with irrational pessimism since we aren't hot right out of the gate but wow even I think this is a bit early. :amazed: carry on hopefully i won't be joining you later lol

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Save % over a 5 game sample means diddly squat. Sorry. You just can't use it for small sized samples. Try looking at something a little more meaningful, like quality starts. 4 out of 5 is good.

So every other player’s every single stat is being torn into right now, but Helle should be immune to this because of sample size? And he hasn’t had 4 quality starts.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Speaking of the tank thread, just realized that @[B]nobody important[/B] has not posted here since May of this year. I hope everything is okay.

I've wondered about this as well ?? after 6,000 posts or so--just vanished ? - I also wonder if all is ok there ? I hope it isn't a serious health issue, and that we'll see some future posts from him-or her ??

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Well, we're a pathetic 3-2-1, our home record has fallen into the cataclysmic abyss of 2-0-1. It's clear we're destined to finish 37th overall. Might as well get started early, right?

Points in 3 of our last 4 games... ship the team back to atlanta. If we're not going to win every single game we play why even bother. :sarcasm:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So every other player’s every single stat is being torn into right now, but Helle should be immune to this because of sample size? And he hasn’t had 4 quality starts.

That has nothing to do with it. SV% doesn't mean **** all in a small sample. You want to criticize Helle? Go ahead. But don't use a 5 game stretch of sv%. You disagree with 4 QS? make your argument. What's your number? You know his sv% was .919 after the first 4 of those 5, if you want to use sv%. I won't use it though. But if you want to compare to Pavelec's career sv% of .907 then use Helle's career sv% of .916.

There are a lot of other stats that get misused the same way too. But that is no excuse for misusing this one.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
That has nothing to do with it. SV% doesn't mean **** all in a small sample. You want to criticize Helle? Go ahead. But don't use a 5 game stretch of sv%. You disagree with 4 QS? make your argument. What's your number? You know his sv% was .919 after the first 4 of those 5, if you want to use sv%. I won't use it though. But if you want to compare to Pavelec's career sv% of .907 then use Helle's career sv% of .916.

There are a lot of other stats that get misused the same way too. But that is no excuse for misusing this one.

This. @Tommigun it's not that people are saying that Hellebuyck should be immune to statistical analysis; only saying that SV% is a horrible statistic on a short sample size. As is ANY "percentage" statistics. While all stats suffer with short sample sizes, percentage-based ones do so on a whole new level. See which, my coming off-topic rant in the main forum.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018

Helle has not looked like a Vezina runner up goalie in half of the games he’s played, he was not good in Dallas, nor against the Oilers.

He was exactly as putrid as (almost) the entire team vs the Oilers.

He was lights out in one of the games though, forgot which but it was one of the best goalie performances I’ve seen.

Reactions: Larabee and GNP

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Meanwhile, when waiting our pals get some grip to their game, and my dear idol Patty fix his sight, its good moment to study some obscure topics. Recently I encountered something that I consider "good read", especially for those who are interested about history, archeology, and technology of making viking age/medieval ULFBERHT and INGELRII swords. The Doctoral thesis of academic smith,

Mikko Moilanen
:

Marks of Fire, Value and Faith. Swords with Ferrous Inlays in Finland during the Late Iron Age (ca. 700–1200 AD)
Series: Archaeologia Medii Aevi Finlandiae XXI
Publisher: The Society for Medieval Archaeology in Finland
ISBN: 9789526732961
Year: 2015

marksoffire.jpg

Author's homepage: Homepage of Mikko Moilanen

images

The work in pdf-format can be easily googled from the net, as well as other related papers of the author.

Highly recommendable study, if you want know about famous ULFBERHT swords and experimental archeology how they were made! :)

Ulfberht swords - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
Helle has not looked like a Vezina runner up goalie in half of the games he’s played, he was not good in Dallas, nor against the Oilers.

He was lights out in one of the games though, forgot which but it was one of the best goalie performances I’ve seen.
He kept us in the ST Louis game until we started scoring in the 3rd. But sine then he’s been just average. Should have stopped the Nurse OT goal.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
In 2001-02 Paul Maurice coached the Hurricanes to the Stanley Cup Final. They lost to Detroit 4 games to 1. The next season 2002-03, Paul Maurice coached the Hurricanes to being the worst team in the NHL. They drafted #2 and picked Eric Staal.

There is lots of experience here. So...if there is anyone that can turn what the Jets did last season into the worst team in the league ( if that's what you want ).... Paul is your man.

In Paul we trust, hero to zero in only one season!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
You can't have a tank thread without a commander. Since our long time commander in chief has retired, we need a new leader.

Wheeler
Myers
Little
Laine

Pretty confident those are our core contenders. :naughty:

Reactions: Jack722

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

So 1 bad game, 1 very good one and 3 others. Were those others quality starts or not? Is QS reserved for great games only? I don't think so. But then I didn't think he was the problem against the Oilers either. He could have been better, but I didn't think he was bad. But I'm not judging that 1 game on his sv%.

Reactions: Ducky10

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You can't have a tank thread without a commander. Since our long time commander in chief has retired, we need a new leader.

Wheeler
Myers
Little
Laine

Pretty confident those are our core contenders. :naughty:

Wheeler AINEC IMO. The Captain is sinking his ship through questionable leadership by example.

Reactions: Ducky10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->