Post-Game Talk: 2018 Tank Postmortem: Vancouver finishes 6th-last

Status
Not open for further replies.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Nah, I feel like you are being too peesimistic
As bad as JB has been, he did not trade away any major young piece when approaching TDL in the past 2 seasons.
The only time he did it was the Shinkaruk trade back when we were clearly a playoff team.
Either he not THAT stupid, or the owner took away that option.
I would say this, if JB traded away any future in the next month, it is definitely the owner’s fault because they let JB bet his fate on a miracle
His job is on the line, dude. He needs this team to play to the level it did in the first third of the season. I agree with you, even giving him this chance is pretty dumb, since even if this team plays a bit better than it has, how is that enough to save his job? It's clearly nowhere close to a playoff team.

I think he actually will make a few trades... Hutton I think will go for an Evander Kane type, or an older, more 'dependable' d-man.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
His job is on the line, dude. He needs this team to play to the level it did in the first third of the season. I agree with you, even giving him this chance is pretty dumb, since even if this team plays a bit better than it has, how is that enough to save his job? It's clearly nowhere close to a playoff team.
For sure his job is on the line, but if the owner let him sacrifices our future for some miracle run, it basically means JB is getting extended...so why even bother to worry

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
For sure his job is on the line, but if the owner let him sacrifice our future for some miracle run, it basically means JB is getting extended...so why even bother to worry
I disagree. If Aquilini's ultimatum for him to keep his job is winning with this trash heap of a team, and he spends future assets and fails, he will surely get canned.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I disagree. If Aquilini's ultimatum for him to keep his job is winning with this trash heap of a team, and he spends future assets and fails, he will surely get canned.
Well, if Aquilink let JB sacrifices our future...doesn’t it means that they still believe in his ability?
That’s how I read it atleast

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Would be nice to see a win where the kids contribute big.

From a tank perspective it's not that great, Buffalo had a big win tonight and Senators lost.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Well, if Aquilink let JB sacrifices our future...doesn’t it means that they still believe in his ability?
That’s how I read it atleast
I don't think he'll sacrifice our future, like trade our 1st or Pettersson or anything like that, but I could see our 2nd round pick this year or next, guys like Hutton, Gadjovich, etc gone for more 'win now' guys.

Remember, he traded McCann + a 2nd and 4th for Gudbranson.

I would not be the least bit surprised if Hutton + Gadjovich + a 2nd or two seconds went for a guy like Evander Kane.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I don't think he'll sacrifice our future, like trade our 1st or Pettersson or anything like that, but I could see our 2nd round pick this year or next, guys like Hutton, Gadjovich, etc gone for more 'win now' guys.

I would not be the least bit surprised if Hutton + Gadjovich + a 2nd or two seconds went for a guy like Evander Kane.
Wouldnt be surprised eithr but that would be the worst deal Benning ever made yet. Kane will go to whoever pays him the most this summer anyway. Maybe thats 7x7 from us. I like his game but he is too much of a distraction off the ice.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Dahlin - Karlsson

I feel they are steering towards a direction that might cause them to lose Karlsson.

Karlsson himself has the audacity, and the skills to back up said audacity, to ask for both money and a legit shot at the cup. Senators' moves these few years made it quite clear that they wanna compete now, but has just been doing a craptastic job at it, sorta like how Dim Jim's doing with this team.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Not trying to defence him or anything but the Gudbranson trade happened in the summer, different scenerio than now

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

I could see that as well. Also if he does go after Kane then a huge contract will come with him. Benning will insist on a sign & trade type deal.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I feel they are steering towards a direction that might cause them to lose Karlsson.

Karlsson himself has the audacity, and the skills to back up said audacity, to ask for both money and a legit shot at the cup. Senators' moves these few years made it quite clear that they wanna compete now, but has just been doing a craptastic job at it, sorta like how Dim Jim's doing with this team.

I've heard that Melnyk is quite a **** of an owner as well, meddling and really stingey with money.

I wouldn't be surprised if Melnyk refuses to pay the money that Karlsson would require. Would love to see Karlsson go to the Pens or Lightning where he would absolutely thrive.

Some of the blame definitely has to fall on Dorion though.
Not trying to defence him or anything but the Gudbranson trade happened in the summer, different scenerio than now

That's true. Just nothing would surprise me at this point.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I've heard that Melnyk is quite a **** of an owner as well, meddling and really stingey with money.

I wouldn't be surprised if Melnyk refuses to pay the money that Karlsson would require. Would love to see Karlsson go to the Pens or Lightning where he would absolutely thrive.

Some of the blame definitely has to fall on Dorion though.

That's true. Just nothing would surprise me at this point.

Agreed on the Dorion part, that guy's lunacy is on par with our dear leader.

Of course I'm not saying they are gonna lose Karlsson for sure. I think the Senators still has the advantage to retain him, but it is at a point where Karlsson leaving has become a plausible enough that it cannot be ignored anymore.

They gotta consider Karlsson's contract, and Stone. They still gotta keep Ryan, Phaneuf, and those are the ones I could think of.

And they need a new goalie.

EDIT: oh man if Karlsson actually went to Tampa Bay????? Goodness...Hedman, Sergachev, Karlsson...that's some scary f***ing top 3 for any team to deal with.

Reactions: clunk

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Agreed on the Dorion part, that guy's lunacy is on par with our dear leader.

Of course I'm not saying they are gonna lose Karlsson for sure. I think the Senators still has the advantage to retain him, but it is at a point where Karlsson leaving has become a plausible enough that it cannot be ignored anymore.

They gotta consider Karlsson's contract, and Stone. They still gotta keep Ryan, Phaneuf, and those are the ones I could think of.

And they need a new goalie.

EDIT: oh man if Karlsson actually went to Tampa Bay????? Goodness...Hedman, Sergachev, Karlsson...that's some scary ****ing top 3 for any team to deal with.

Karlsson to Tampa would be insane! I’m kind of interested to see how that would play out now that you mention it.

I wonder what Ottawa would get in return from Tampa?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
They've got to get Pouliot back in the lineup ASAP. In the last 20 Canucks games, Pouliot has played 16 and was scratched for 4. In the 16 he played he has been a -18 and the team has a 2-12-2 record. In the 4 he has sat, they've gone 3-1-0. This tank desperately needs him back.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They've got to get Pouliot back in the lineup ASAP. In the last 20 Canucks games, Pouliot has played 16 and was scratched for 4. In the 16 he played he has been a -18 and the team has a 2-12-2 record. In the 4 he has sat, they've gone 3-1-0. This tank desperately needs him back.

What an abysmal player.

Reactions: Burke's Evil Spirit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad