Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I see this as a win then. They get Marner, we get Saros plus, Saros only signed for 1 year at decent cap hit. If he flames out, we move on. If Saros plays well then we negotiate.
Again, I have no immediate problem with Saros, I’d just like us to grab prospects for our cupboard at the same time. This doesn’t bring back a ton of salary, allows us to add new internal talent sooner rather than later and then sign UFAs for the team.

Reactions: myleafs

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Saros has just 1 year left at 5M. That is tricky to navigate. I'd rather that though than have him long term
Could do a couple of sign and trades on July 1st if possible. That way both players can get the 8 year extensions (assuming that's what they want)

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Again, I have no immediate problem with Saros, I’d just like us to grab prospects for our cupboard at the same time. This doesn’t bring back a ton of salary, allows us to add new internal talent sooner rather than later and then sign UFAs for the team.
That's why I said "Saros plus". I assumed prospects would be part of the deal.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yup. It's hard to understand why some people still seem to think that bringing back Marner would be a good thing. Like I'm just at a complete loss for words.
Simply ask them the question .. "Do you cheer for the name on the back or the crest on the front when you follow the Leafs?"

Their answer will provide clarity in understanding their position..

Marner fans don't care about Team success come playoff time, if it comes at the expense of ineffective playoff performers.

"Some will ask you why can't they have both?" ..but they're simply not willing to accept reality that their favourite player is a passenger not leader during physical playoff hockey and his salary/cap impacts the teams ability to ice a winning team.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The team sucks in the playoffs. Which current player has the most career Leaf playoff points? Fans don’t want him, Ripley’s believe it or not. lol!

Reactions: Craig Button

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The team sucks in the playoffs. Which current player has the most career Leaf playoff points? Fans don’t want him, Ripley’s believe it or not. lol!

Look at the games and the series they happened in. If you dig deep you see bulk scoring to blowout games and piss poor performance in critical games and times.

He is anti clutch

Bet you any money posters here can find dozens of players making far less putting more than .3ppg in elimination games.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
A goalie? A GOALIE?

Yes please.

I'd accept a bag of shitty pucks that the maintenance guys just pulled out of the rafters. Five years of dust and evaporated sweat on them, big chunks missing and a few dead flies in the bag. That bag, for Marner, 1 for 1, I'm saying yes.

If you're telling me we could get a great goalie and lock him up with term, for Marner, then I'm jumping on that 100x over. Getting rid of Marner and solving the goalie carousel problem in the same deal would be a dream come true. This guy is a choker and has to go, and having endless question marks between the pipes has got to stop.

Play it cool Tre, play it cool and get the best deal, but don't even consider bring back Marner next year if we can even get that puck bag for him.

Reactions: myleafs

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Simply ask them the question .. "Do you cheer for the name on the back or the crest on the front when you follow the Leafs?"

Marner fans don't care about Team success come playoff time, if it comes at the expense of ineffective playoff performers.

"Some will ask you why can't they have both?" ..but they're simply not willing to accept reality that their favourite player is a passenger not leader during physical playoff hockey and his salary/cap impacts the teams ability to ice a winning team.
Absolute load of BS. Get over yourself.

Reactions: Metroid and ACC1224

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Look at the games and the series they happened in. If you dig deep you see bulk scoring to blowout games and piss poor performance in critical games and times.

He is anti clutch

Bet you any money posters here can find dozens of players making far less putting more than .3ppg in elimination games.
Players playing for other coaches on different teams, yes for sure. Players playing for the same team for the same coach, no…

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
A goalie? A GOALIE?

Yes please.

I'd accept a bag of shitty pucks that the maintenance guys just pulled out of the rafters. Five years of dust and evaporated sweat on them, big chunks missing and a few dead flies in the bag. That bag, for Marner, 1 for 1, I'm saying yes.

If you're telling me we could get a great goalie and lock him up with term, for Marner, then I'm jumping on that 100x over. Getting rid of Marner and solving the goalie carousel problem in the same deal would be a dream come true. This guy is a choker and has to go, and having endless question marks between the pipes has got to stop.

Play it cool Tre, play it cool and get the best deal, but don't even consider bring back Marner next year if we can even get that puck bag for him.
Love to get Askarov but Saros is more likely.

Reactions: KMNRB

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

You’ve got it completely backwards.
Those with the irrational hate don’t care about the team.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I’ve watched Askarov a few times in international play and he’s struggled at times and others he’s been brilliant. Saros has been very good, but he’s going to be at the end of his time if and when the Preds are ready to compete again so I’d rather they trade him and keep Askarov.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Underperformed? I see it more of a situation where they performed to the best of their abilities.
Well that is the other point of view. Mgmt obviously thought Keefe was the problem or they wouldn’t have fired him. I’m not in the fire everybody camp, I think the players will do much better under new systems. Much like many have once they moved on.

Reactions: ACC1224

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I love the idea of Saros, but I don't know...I think his smaller stature would be exposed here. Not convinced the team's play in front of him will allow him to carry this team to deep success.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I'm certain any incoming coach would LOVE to have Marner still on the team, if we cant get exactly the player(s) we want, we have no reason to settle.
Askarov would not be the ask, it would be the demand, else, no Marner for you, its not like all situation, 200 foot 100 (almost) point players grow on trees.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I'm certain any incoming coach would LOVE to have Marner still on the team, if we cant get exactly the player(s) we want, we have no reason to settle.
Askarov would not be the ask, it would be the demand, else, no Marner for you, its not like all situation, 200 foot 100 (almost) point players grow on trees.
Gotta hope Tre sticks to his guns and does not force a trade like they did with Kadri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad