Post-Game Talk: 2018 Tank Postmortem: Vancouver finishes 6th-last

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
They've got to get Pouliot back in the lineup ASAP. In the last 20 Canucks games, Pouliot has played 16 and was scratched for 4. In the 16 he played he has been a -18 and the team has a 2-12-2 record. In the 4 he has sat, they've gone 3-1-0. This tank desperately needs him back.
Yeah not sure this guy was worth a 4th. Think jimbo got ROBBED of a pick

Could have easily tried Weirdcoch or Holme when needed and esp Hutton should NEVER have sat for this bun

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I disagree. If Aquilini's ultimatum for him to keep his job is winning with this trash heap of a team, and he spends future assets and fails, he will surely get canned.

I don't think Aquilini is expecting the playoffs or even to push for the playoffs and I don't the ultimatum is about trading futures for small chance of the playoffs. When it was healthy we were winning, then the excuses started flowing when it started losing "the team is good, it's just injured". Aquilini is saying to Benning, you'll be judged based on the team you have assembled. It's healthy again and we will see if it is the good team (start of the season) or the bad team (middle 3rd). If it's the bad team (.400-.500), he's gone. If it performs at a playoff equivalent pace over the remaining games (.560-.600), even if it's not going to make the playoffs, he's safe.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I hate wins at this point in our rebuild but they are gonna happen. No point stressing. At least get Boeser some goals while we’re at it. Nothing worse than a win with a bum like Eriksson having a big night and nothing for the Brock.

Agreed. Wins happen, just as long as they are surrounded by loses it'll be fine.

1-2-1 pace: 69

2-3-1 pace: 72

1-1-1 pace: 78

To put that into context last year those were 2nd last, 5th last, 6th last. If the team goes a crazy 2-1-1 pace, it still only makes it to 84 points (9th last).

Last edited:
Reactions: racerjoe

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Yeah not sure this guy was worth a 4th. Think jimbo got ROBBED of a pick

Could have easily tried Weirdcoch or Holme when needed and esp Hutton should NEVER have sat for this bun
Jimbo didn't get robbed of anything.

Jimbo, once again, kicked himself in the dick.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
Man I remember being excited about Pouliot when I watched that Pens game here live and what he was doing offensively a few games after that.

Disappointing player, offensive upside can't compensate for his play in his own zone. Wasn't worth the 4th at this point.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Man I remember being excited about Pouliot when I watched that Pens game here live and what he was doing offensively a few games after that.

Disappointing player, offensive upside can't compensate for his play in his own zone. Wasn't worth the 4th at this point.

Especially considering that 4th round pick will be in the Top 100 this draft.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
A flukey slapshot deflection goal from the blue line past Marky in the first 3 minutes would be just swell.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don't think Aquilini is expecting the playoffs or even to push for the playoffs and I don't the ultimatum is about trading futures for small chance of the playoffs. When it was healthy we were winning, then the excuses started flowing when it started losing "the team is good, it's just injured". Aquilini is saying to Benning, you'll be judged based on the team you have assembled. It's healthy again and we will see if it is the good team (start of the season) or the bad team (middle 3rd). If it's the bad team (.400-.500), he's gone. If it performs at a playoff equivalent pace over the remaining games (.560-.600), even if it's not going to make the playoffs, he's safe.

The problems with that thinking are:

-the start of the season wasn’t really a good team. It was a mediocre team surviving off easy schedule and excellent goaltending.

-the middle third wasn’t a different team. They t was a team that had. A couple of injuries which exposed how little depth Benning has managed to assemble in 4 offseasons. All team have injuries...not all teams free fall to the bottom of the standings

-a good record in garbage time means very little.

Overall, there is a reason 82 games is a fantastic sample size...what’s an even better sample size is 246 games.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I didn't think it was possible after the strides they made last year (not to mention having McDavid/Draisaitl), but I think the Oilers are going to legitimately out tank us.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I didn't think it was possible after the strides they made last year (not to mention having McDavid/Draisaitl), but I think the Oilers are going to legitimately out tank us.
They have the firepower to play spoilers, its the Canadiens who Im worried about this year

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
OTT FLA DET MTL all lose, so tonights game is incredibly important. Especially against the team trailing us.

Being blown out by Buffalo would go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad