Speculation: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Yeah Friedman said, "I heard that he was only willing to sign with Tampa bay so I looked into that and it was false" which got reported on twitter as 'Friedman heard that hes only willing to sign with Tampa'. It was reported though that the number of teams he is willing to sign with is very small however, so take from that what you will
I thought it was reported that dallas , Tampa and Vegas were the only 3 teams he would sign with and that was why they were the only teams still trying to make a deal .

hagan88

May 19, 2014
Dallas, Texas
I know it would be a lot of moving parts but what would a Three-Way trade look like with Dallas-Ott-Tampa were Dallas ends up with Tyler Johnson (assuming he waves NTC). I think it would be a good way to get a player cheaper than usual and allow Tampa to get some cap space they need for EK. Thats if Dallas is 100% out of the EK race.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I know it would be a lot of moving parts but what would a Three-Way trade look like with Dallas-Ott-Tampa were Dallas ends up with Tyler Johnson (assuming he waves NTC). I think it would be a good way to get a player cheaper than usual and allow Tampa to get some cap space they need for EK. Thats if Dallas is 100% out of the EK race.

Doesn't sound like Dallas is really out though, but if that did happen and Dallas was out I'd be all for it

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
I thought it was reported that dallas , Tampa and Vegas were the only 3 teams he would sign with and that was why they were the only teams still trying to make a deal .
Completely possible but I never saw that specific report in my constant twitter refreshes yet. The most credible information that I read is that he is willing to sign with a small number of teams. Heck it wouldnt surprise me if he was willing to sign with Dallas if Methot was sticking around. They are close enough that he is at Methot's wedding today.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I suspect Ottawa is much more inclined to consider Tampa for a non-extended Karlsson. Ottawa obviously isn't expecting to compete next year. Having to see Karlsson in the division for the next decade, though... That should make that deal a lot harder for them to stomach. Tampa will be a force for a long while with that core (not that they aren't already, but even moreso), and even if Ottawa has a near-perfect rebuild, they'd probably struggle to get through Tampa to ever be a true contender.

That should help to keep the price lower for WC teams. Will it actually, who knows. Dorion is difficult to understand.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Yes, helps fans to know where he stands with management, and if he needs waivers, etc.

One-way vs. two-way has nothing to do with waiver eligibility. This is an in-depth explanation of waiver eligibility: Waivers FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

One-way vs. two-way is simpler than that. For a one-way contract, the player makes the same salary whether he's in the NHL or AHL. For a two-way contract, a player has different salaries for the NHL and AHL. The AHL salary is pretty much always significantly lower than the NHL salary (for example, a $1.000M NHL salary might garner a $100K salary in the AHL on a two-way contract).

But the principle is there - a player on a one-way contract is less likely to be sent down to the AHL, as there is no financial relief (oftentimes the opposite is true). Counteractively, players on one-way contracts are sometimes more likely to slip through waivers, but it usually doesn't have this effect.

Most tweeners, such as Dickinson, prefer the one-way contract significantly. They're guaranteed to get paid more (as in the example, often 5-10x more) and are more likely to stay in the NHL.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I suspect Ottawa is much more inclined to consider Tampa for a non-extended Karlsson. Ottawa obviously isn't expecting to compete next year. Having to see Karlsson in the division for the next decade, though... That should make that deal a lot harder for them to stomach. Tampa will be a force for a long while with that core (not that they aren't already, but even moreso), and even if Ottawa has a near-perfect rebuild, they'd probably struggle to get through Tampa to ever be a true contender.

That should help to keep the price lower for WC teams. Will it actually, who knows. Dorion is difficult to understand.

The other thing I think would help us is our first (if included) would be better for Ottawa then Tampas (in 2020)

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
A couple of days ago we were front runners for EK but no Heiskanen no deal. Then he was traded to Tampa; until he wasn’t. Then we weren’t out as a possibility. What’s the story going to say today?

Reactions: Kcb12345

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
A couple of days ago we were front runners for EK but no Heiskanen no deal. Then he was traded to Tampa; until he wasn’t. Then we weren’t out as a possibility. What’s the story going to say today?
I wonder if this trade stuff goes quiet until closer to the season because Ottawa’s attempts to generate a bidding war seem to have fallen flat.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Troy, you are probably right. PD knows he has to trade EK, but doesn't want to be seen as taking a bad offer, but I doubt he wants EK in training camp after all this.

PD balked at the TDL with Vegas, maybe balked with Dallas, and even TB (although I think that may have been cap issues on the TB side). At some point, he has to pull the trigger, and just before training camp makes sense, although he won't get any better value.

He tried to generate a bid war, but you are right, he doesn't have the cards (See Bob Sturm tweet today) and every other GM knows it.

On the Dallas side, interesting that Nill didn't make an offer to JT. Maybe JT told him of SJ supposed $13M? Maybe he is too conservative to give out 8 years at $11M. Seems like the same with EK if he is talking trade without extension. Yes, he did that with Spezza and it worked out, but if you trade a bunch (even without Miro) for one year of EK, you really must think next year is your only Cup window.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yes, would be much more Nill like to fill a position he really needs (scoring FW) and find a less stubborn trading partner, not to mention, avoid an 8 year, $88-96M deal to a guy who was injured last year.

He will find a GM who isn't unrealistically holding out for Miro. IMHO, a probable 10-12 years of Miro, cost controlled for at least 3 years, as RFA, probably more, is much more valuable than over paying for EK in his prime, or possible just past it. Young hockey players get better, older hockey players get older.....

He can't afford Benn, Seguin and EK all on $10M contracts. Bad cap management, again IMHO.

The Vinny example is a good one. Sometimes you get caught up in an auction, over bidding when there is really a better bauble still sitting off to the side.

That said, I would be excited to get EK for a non Miro package, if he can pull it off.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It's also worth remembering Lecavelier was 33 the first year of his big contract, and his production had been down for almost five seasons leading into it. That was teams bidding on a older guy already in obvious decline.

Three guys at ~$10 million contracts isn't a big problem if you trust your draft/development system. With the way the cap keeps creeping up, it's not a big deal unless one of those three guys goes into serious decline.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Demelo for 900k/1 year. Boy did we get a steal on Polak, great job Nill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig