Speculation: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Lol .. I really believe Nill is working his ass off to acquire EK though. Nills worked other trades for awhile.

It was either the Spezza or Seguin trade where I thought he said they started discussing the trade 3 months before it happened

Reactions: Kcb12345

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
I've lost all faith in Nill. I will eat crow if he actually does anything but starting last TDL and this offseason he just sits on his hands and says "we good".

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Dallas Stars standout Tyler Seguin is entering the final year of his six-year, $34.5 million contract but isn't all that interested in becoming a free agent, he told reporters during an NHL promotional event in Chicago on Thursday.

Just came across this on another online story.
reuters.com

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Definitely sounds like he wants to stay in Dallas, always has.

Would like to think Nill would let Seguin/agent know he’ll get his money, no worries. If he can also get Karlsson before the start of the season that’s where he may ask Seguin to take Benns AAV to keep any extra cap space open.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hey guys...

I’m in a huge fantasy league and want to trade for Lindell. Is he worth it? Can he put up .5ppg like he did in the AHL? Do you see a lot of upside in him?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Hey guys...

I’m in a huge fantasy league and want to trade for Lindell. Is he worth it? Can he put up .5ppg like he did in the AHL? Do you see a lot of upside in him?

Not a lot of offensive upside no, but he should be good for around 20-30 points every year. If your league counts defensive stats then he's a good option too. Depends on what you'd be trading for him honestly

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Hey guys...

It's risky because Lindell might not even get much PP time next season. PP1 could be Klingberg and 4 forwards and PP2 could have Heiskanen and Honka, but then again, he can also potentially leech a good number of assists by playing with Klingberg and top line forwards. I wouldn't expect his numbers to go up, but it could be a good gamble if the guy you're trading has already hit his ceiling and isn't much better.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Thanks for the quick responses. Just thought I’d ask since he was your top pairing defender with Klingberg last season.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I've lost all faith in Nill. I will eat crow if he actually does anything but starting last TDL and this offseason he just sits on his hands and says "we good".

What is he supposed to say? That he's not confident in the team?

I feel like we go through this every f***ing year, and it's always the same story. We don't know what Nill really thinks of this team. The fact that he seems to be gunning so hard for Karlsson points to him thinking it's not good enough as is (which most fans will agree with). But if he says that directly to the media, the players would have a mutiny. He has to be careful to keep his current players happy whether the team is good or not.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
What is he supposed to say? That he's not confident in the team?

I feel like we go through this every ****ing year, and it's always the same story. We don't know what Nill really thinks of this team. The fact that he seems to be gunning so hard for Karlsson points to him thinking it's not good enough as is (which most fans will agree with). But if he says that directly to the media, the players would have a mutiny. He has to be careful to keep his current players happy whether the team is good or not.

Couldn't agree more. Our drafting during Nill's tenure has pissed me off and 100% needs to be addressed more and fixed. However, Nill is not near as bad as we make him out to be. We haven't done jack shit in the post season yet guys like Radulov, Tavares, Panarin, and Karlsson all want to come here. The tax situation plays into it but I think theres more to it.

Nill has made this a place that high end players want to come to because of the way he treats people and handles business. He seems like a very honest and genuine person but also is very well respected and not walked all over. He has put together a pretty good team for having horrible draft results.

Outside of the obvious Seguin/Spezza trades he has made some really good deals.

Cole for Janmark and Backman comes to mind.

I remember a lot of wings fans bitter about losing backman, something to do with Babcock liking him a lot during his time there. Nobody said a word about Janmark on either side because nobody knew shit about him. Kid makes our roster out of training camp and has kinda turned into a fan favorite amongst the online stars community. That's a pretty damn good move by Nill.

Trevor Daley and Ryan Garbutt for Patrick Sharp and Stephen Johns.

Another slap in the face to the opposing GM from our perspective. 2 guys we were wanting out the door as soon as possible and we won that trade? How? It wasnt even Peter Chiarelli???

My point is that Nill gave this team a huge facelift instead of fully rebuilding just by pulling off good trades. It's not his fault theres a different excuse every year because when he goes out and fixes the issue another one appears the next season.

If Nill gets Karlsson or Panarin and this team misses the playoffs, is it his fault? I think thats more of a reflection on our core of Benn/Seguin/Klingberg than anything.

I'd consider moving Benn at that point before anyone notices his value plummeting.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Stars win the opening face-off of their first game of the Traverse City Prospect Tournament and immediately ice the puck - welcome back Dallas Stars hockey, I missed you over the summer :laugh:.

Reactions: joshik

joshik

In Duchene we believe
Jul 1, 2017
Czech Republic
I following stars since 14-15 and I watch every draft from back then and I hate our selections players that I want us to choose end up better than our selections. I calling it now that my 2018 mock draft is better than our real one (1st-Martin Kaut, 2nd- Filip Hallander, 3rd-Niklas Nordgren, 4th-Philip Kurashev and Allan McShane, 5th-Filip Kral, 6th-Alexis Gravel, 7th- Nando Egenberger)

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Good ole Stars hockey. Just outscore your opponent.

On a serious note, quick breakdown from what I saw:

Heiskanen is virtually impossible to beat 1 on 1. His skating agility and positioning are incredible he can switch is foot placement and speed on a dime. Truly a rock defensively and clearly hasnt close any confidence skating the puck and trying to make a play. Even if you knew nothing about him prior to this game, it was obvious he was the best player out there. Eager to see more

Hintz had a great game all over the map and continues to show he's our best offensive prospect currently. He had a lot of quality chances and had an insane dangle in the offensive zone. Hope to see him get rewarded next game.

Mascherin had a tough time finding the right position to be in for scoring opportunities, but you almost knew he was going to put one up with how hard he was trying to score early on. Hoping he can find a bit more speed and better positioning because he'll be lethal on the powerplay.

Dellandrea is a work horse. Busted his ass every time he was on the ice. He's not a polished and poised type player, seems more like a grinder to me but maybe he'll change my mind as the tournament goes on.

Point had a rough go. Team bailed him out.

Hansson was the second best dman out there for me. Played physical, had some great passes, got himself a goal. Hansson really impressed me. Hope he takes a big step in Texas this year.

Robertson had a decent game. Didnt really do anything too noteworthy but was more effective than a lot of the other forwards.

Calderone was underwhelming and I thought Caamano fell off a bit after the first.

Pretty happy with how our big names played though.

Heiskanen is so damn fun to watch.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Would love to hear updates after this weekend about Mascherin and Damiani

Kitchener Rangers are my main team I follow

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease

Boxscore

Mascherin had a couple great shots including his PP goal, but for the most part, unless someone stands out like Heiskanen, it's tough to get a feel for how they're playing because they're all wearing unfamiliar numbers, there's no commentary, and the video quality isn't particularly great.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Boxscore

Mascherin had a couple great shots including his PP goal, but for the most part, unless someone stands out like Heiskanen, it's tough to get a feel for how they're playing because they're all wearing unfamiliar numbers, there's no commentary, and the video quality isn't particularly great.

Unfortunate
But thanks for the link and update
Glad hockey’s back

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

I like the game from Masch, found a couple times he coasted/gave up on back checking and was a little lazy in the sense. Not every shift but it was happening occasionally.

Damiani had a quiet game, didn't really generate much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad