2018 Sabres' Prospect Challenge - September 7-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
This is just another example why when we traded up via Murray into the top of the second round and secured Rasmus Asplund, I was beyond stoked. He's going to be such a solid two way guy. I'd take him TODAY over Larsson.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
This is just another example why when we traded up via Murray into the top of the second round and secured Rasmus Asplund, I was beyond stoked. He's going to be such a solid two way guy. I'd take him TODAY over Larsson.
He's what I hoped Larsson would be.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
We didn't draft Larsson tho, we kinda knew what we were getting with him playing in Minnesota.

No we didn't, he was a very young player at the time and highly regarded, a B+ prospect for the Wild. His SHL stats were equal or better than Asplund's. He'd only played 1 game in the NHL. He's been a disappointment for us, the best stretch of his career was centering a third line between Foligno and Gionta.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Larsson has had 1 disappointing season in Buffalo. One. Uno.

Interestingly enough it was the same year that ROR, Reinhart, Ristolainen, and others had theirs. But, surely, that's not allowed to happen, to have one disappointing season.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Larsson very well may have been a victim of not being able to cover for some extremely awful wingers he’s shared most of his minutes last season with. He did fine in his international play at the end of the season. He also had some silly injuries hit him.

I wouldn’t write him off as hopeless. Aladynn is right in this case.

But if anyone on the forward crop has a target on their back it’s him. Let the best player win.

Cannot understate how wonderful the depthening will be for this team this season.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
People might have different standards for what constitutes disappointment
Larsson is 26 years old and has never scored 20 points in the NHL. Under any circumstances, that's disappointing. I'm not expecting 60 points from him, but I thought he could develop into a tenacious two-way checker. His offense has clearly been lacking, but I also feel like his defense, checking and overall energy diminished after his injury 2 seasons ago. Maybe he can bounce back this year and be a solid 4th liner, but even that position is in serious jeopardy with the depth we have in the pipeline. This is well below is projected ceiling. I predict he's playing in the SHL within a year.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Johan Larsson is a late 2nd round pick who has played in 258 NHL games. If that's disappointing then your standards are very screwed.
I think people are basing disappointment regarding what he's shown vs the player some predicted he would become, not his draft position.

Sure, for a random 2nd rounder that's ok, for the 2-way "swedish bull" people were calling him after we traded for him it's disappointing

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Johan Larsson is a late 2nd round pick who has played in 258 NHL games. If that's disappointing then your standards are very screwed.
I mean...he played all but one of those games for the team that's universally regarded to be the worst in hockey for the last five years. Just because he was better than any of the other options we personally had for our bottom six doesn't make him a good player.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I mean...he played all but one of those games for the team that's universally regarded to be the worst in hockey for the last five years. Just because he was better than any of the other options we personally had for our bottom six doesn't make him a good player.
We weren't the worst team in 2015-16 and 2016-17.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Well, if we go by draft status vs games played, virtually every full-time NHL player is exceeding expectations and the success rate of the last place team looks probably about as good as the first place team.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
No, but 3 years out of five makes you the worst aggregate team by default unless you somehow went from the basement to the penthouse and back again, which we didn't.
In particular, just for fun, over the last five seasons the number of wins that separates us from the second worst team in that stretch is more than double the number that separates any other two consecutive teams in the ranking.

Reactions: Reddawg

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Yes, Casey has made the team, for al intents and purposes. That was made clear when it was given as a reason for trading ROR.
For the intents and purposes of you complaining about it, maybe. It is very likely he will be on the team, just as it is very likely that he should. It still remains to be seen that he makes the team while Asplund doesn't, so why moan already? Asplund could make he team. At the same time, there is no harm in him starting his NA career in the AHL.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
For the intents and purposes of you complaining about it, maybe. It is very likely he will be on the team, just as it is very likely that he should. It still remains to be seen that he makes the team while Asplund doesn't, so why moan already? Asplund could make he team. At the same time, there is no harm in him starting his NA career in the AHL.

Random side thought, what are the chances Asplund is more effective in the nhl this year than Mitts? A lot more pro experience. The right type of game... it could be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad