2018 Sabres' Prospect Challenge - September 7-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Random side thought, what are the chances Asplund is more effective in the nhl this year than Mitts? A lot more pro experience. The right type of game... it could be interesting.

Absolutely there's a chance of that. Casey Mittelstadt has 84 professional minutes.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Random side thought, what are the chances Asplund is more effective in the nhl this year than Mitts? A lot more pro experience. The right type of game... it could be interesting.

Not gonna lie... the idea of Asplund coming in and outright winning a top 9 center spot intrigues me a lot.

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Nylander-Mittelstadt-Okposo
Berglund-Asplund-Thompson
Sheary-Larsson-Erod
x Girgensons, Pominville (hopefully, he agrees to go to Rochester to play at some point....)
Waived: Sobotka, Wilson, Bailey, Baptiste

Crazy scenario I know...

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Not gonna lie... the idea of Asplund coming in and outright winning a top 9 center spot intrigues me a lot.

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Sheary-Larsson-Erod
x Girgensons, Pominville (hopefully, he agrees to go to Rochester to play at some point....)

Crazy scenario I know...

Even if Nylander isn’t ready and Sheary is there, with Girgs in the 4LW, that would be very fun.

I sure hope Thompson can make la leap and be around 20 goals this year, it would make that rw side immensely more dangerous.

Reactions: Mitts888

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Sheary-Larsson-Erod

Crazy scenario I know...

Not crazy at all. Asplund is a complete centre and really underrated by many. He has played 4 pro seasons already. Eichel, Mitts, Asplund will be the centre spine for a good Sabres team, it is just a matter of when. If not camp then by midseason I could see Asplund up. He is the type of player that once he is in the lineup they are not taking him out. Lineup wise I would like to see:

Skinner Eichel Thompson
Sheary Mitts Reinhart
Nylander Asplund Okposo
Girgs Berglund Erod (If Thompson continues to impress in main camp, gives Mitts some young vet support on line 2)

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
If some guys like Asplund and Thompson come in and are clearly better than some of the filler vets, then by all means I think they should win the spot. If it's close, I'd rather stick with the slow-cooking route than risk throwing them to the lions before they are ready. But I don't subscribe to the idea that it should be a pure abilities competition. Development, depth, contracts, and yes, building a winning team in Rochester all need to be taken into account.

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Sheary-Larsson-Erod

Crazy scenario I know...
I don't hate this.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
For the intents and purposes of you complaining about it, maybe. It is very likely he will be on the team, just as it is very likely that he should. It still remains to be seen that he makes the team while Asplund doesn't, so why moan already? Asplund could make he team. At the same time, there is no harm in him starting his NA career in the AHL.

It is my view that Botteril took away the option of developing Mittelstadt with a season in the minors, like most players need. Is he ready for NHL? Probably — but not definitely. If the only other option is Asplund in his eyes, that’s even worse.

I think Botteril unnecessarily limited his options at center next season. If Casey isn’t ready, there aren’t any other good options that that we can rely on this season with any amount of certainty. I’m sorry that this opinion bothers you.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
For the intents and purposes of you complaining about it, maybe. It is very likely he will be on the team, just as it is very likely that he should. It still remains to be seen that he makes the team while Asplund doesn't, so why moan already? Asplund could make he team. At the same time, there is no harm in him starting his NA career in the AHL.

You sound like all of the people who told me I wasn’t allowed to complain about the ROR trade before it happened, even though it didn’t take clairvoyance to see it was happening. Spare me the “you’re not allowed to complain until it happens” nonsense. We all know he’s starting at center.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
You sound like all of the people who told me I wasn’t allowed to complain about the ROR trade before it happened, even though it didn’t take clairvoyance to see it was happening. Spare me the “you’re not allowed to complain until it happens” nonsense. We all know he’s starting at center.
There's a difference between warning about or criticizing a possibile outcome and complaining about something that hasn't happened. I'm sure you know the difference.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
There's a difference between warning about or criticizing a possibile outcome and complaining about something that hasn't happened. I'm sure you know the difference.

Literally, all I said was "...Yet Mittelstadt was the only one gifted a spot with Buffalo."

It was barely a complaint or criticism -- I was lightly registering annoyance. If that doesn't live up to your standards for a great post, I'm sorry I let you down. I don't see the need for so much scolding, which can't be any more productive than my original post.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Literally, all I said was "...Yet Mittelstadt was the only one gifted a spot with Buffalo."

It was barely a complaint or criticism -- I was lightly registering annoyance. If that doesn't live up to your standards for a great post, I'm sorry I let you down. I don't see the need for so much scolding, which can't be any more productive than my original post.
Most people don't use the past tense when talking about something that hasn't happened yet. That is probably the issue most people had with your post.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Most people don't use the past tense when talking about something that hasn't happened yet. That is probably the issue most people had with your post.

Hell, if Mitts is sorta kinda gifted a spot, then Eichel was definitely gifted a spot and Dahlin will definitely be gifted a spot.
For the record, I don’t think any of them are/were gifted a spot.

If anyone... this season Beaulieu and Pominille are gifted spots on this years roster.

Reactions: Top Pair Imposter

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Hell, if Mitts is sorta kinda gifted a spot, then Eichel was definitely gifted a spot and Dahlin will definitely be gifted a spot.
For the record, I don’t think any of them are/were gifted a spot.

Agreed. There likely was/is the assumption that their skill will justify a spot going into the year, which isn't the same thing as "gifting." In Eichel's case it was clearly correct, and I expect the other two will belong as well.

Reactions: jc17

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Sheary-Larsson-Erod

Crazy scenario I know...

He literally took the, "come in and make an impression", speech to heart. He played well in both zones. He showed a lot of ability to create plays and when needed to step up. It's not that insane. I think the center spot on this team is WIDE open after trading O'Reilly. If you consider only Eichel and Mittelstadt are entrenched. Would they like him to start in Rochester, sure. However, if he forces the issue and shows that he's clearly the best fit to be up, then he'll be up. Thompson's camp showed to me also that he's steps above Baptiste and Bailey. Which is a good thing. I don't think it's crazy to start with Nylander and Asplund up at all. In fact I'd LOVE it.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He literally took the, "come in and make an impression", speech to heart. He played well in both zones. He showed a lot of ability to create plays and when needed to step up. It's not that insane. I think the center spot on this team is WIDE open after trading O'Reilly. If you consider only Eichel and Mittelstadt are entrenched. Would they like him to start in Rochester, sure. However, if he forces the issue and shows that he's clearly the best fit to be up, then he'll be up. Thompson's camp showed to me also that he's steps above Baptiste and Bailey. Which is a good thing. I don't think it's crazy to start with Nylander and Asplund up at all. In fact I'd LOVE it.

Let's see how all these kids look against the rest of the roster and not just against their peer group.

It is not uncommon for players to look great against other prospects and then not as good when they are playing against pros.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'd love to think that kids like Asplund, Guhle and Thompson can force their way onto the team. I think the Sabres would be better for it. (Rochester probably not... but a lot of people here don't seem to care about that. :laugh: )

I just don't see it happening.
Mostly due to vets and recent acquisitions getting the benefit of the doubt, and many of them being waiver exempt and to possibly give the younger guys a chance to adapt in a lesser league first.

Beaulieu and Pominville should be gone next year. Possibly one or several of Skinner, McCabe, Girgensons, Larsson and ERod as well.

Then the next year we'll hopefully see Sobotka and Hunwick gone. And possibly one or several of Sheary, Bogosian, Scandella.

Spots are going to open up quickly the next year or two. Tempting as it is to try and get them on the team today and maybe save some cap in the process, there's an opportunity to give these kids a year or two (or another year or two) to develop in the AHL. Ideally on a winning team brimming with talent. I think there's value in that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reddawg

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

You said that responding to a poster who stated he felt Asplund and Thomson were 2 forwards from this tourney who he thinks MAY press for a roster spot.. Your response made no sense... and was/is factually incorrect. You weren't scolded at all... just told you were wrong.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
You said that responding to a poster who stated he felt Asplund and Thomson were 2 forwards from this tourney who he thinks MAY press for a roster spot.. Your response made no sense... and was/is factually incorrect. You weren't scolded at all... just told you were wrong.

The organization has all but said he’s in the plans for being on the Sabres this season and that it was part of the reason they traded ROR. It hasn’t officially happened, but it unofficially has.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Asplund is quickly becoming one of my favorite prospects. I just love his attention to detail all over the ice. Such a professional player. My guess is he is low maintenance and a coach's dream. I think he is not long for Rochester if he ends up there at all.

Reactions: sufferer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->