2018 Sabres' Prospect Challenge - September 7-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
So you're saying Chris Taylor flat out made up the injury Nylander dealt with last year? It's almost like you have an agenda
I’m saying I don’t buy that his injury was a major factor by the spring, when his effort was questioned and when he was benched in the playoffs. That’s an excuse. I’m sure it was more mental on his part being afraid of tweaking it again.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
As someone who has attended prospects camp for years and now the tourney the past 3 years, this is by far the most skill and talent this team has had in the prospect pool. Add in Davidsson and Son of Kjell as well as a guy like Weissbach who weren't here and 3 1sts next year and the quality depth is starting to come together.

I was at Sat. game and really enjoyed the pace, skill and puck movement they showed. Vladar stole a game for the Bruins but overall I liked what I saw.

I think the guys that needed to show all did by the end of the tournament and I was pleasantly surprised by the likes of Thompson and Laaksonnen. Thompson has all the tools to be a big, impact top 6 winger. It is up to him to continue to develop but the package is there. Laaksonen has some special offensive skills. He needs to add muscle which should help his board/net battles and his shot and he will never be a defensive dynamo but as a smart, puck moving DMan that can run a PP he has some real potential.

Asplund has been the forgotten prospect by many but he showed this weekend that he is the real deal and should be a really good 3C when this team is competing.

I think the Sabres are getting better at identifying invitees as well as Welsh, Coskey and Hancock all looked impressive in the games they got in.

The future might not be October but there are a lot of guys to be excited about. Nylander needed a good showing mores then anyone else and he delivered this weekend. It is up to him to now to make the next step but being healthy, adding strength and having confidence makes him look like a different player.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I’m going in with an open mind this season. I’m cautioning getting too excited from a game against a team that was probably ECHL level.
I agree and thats why I want to see Asplund in Rochester as the 1C getting acclimated to the North American game against men and not young prospects. Asides from that Nylander's game this tournament looked even much better than his World Jr showing.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
"One trick pony"

From what I've seen he's got some hockey sense and he is willing to battle for pucks. He's not just sitting there waiting for one timers
Meh, he wasn't doing that versus the older Boston defenseman. It's something to watch at the very least. I hope he proves that sentiment wrong.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
I’m saying I don’t buy that his injury was a major factor by the spring, when his effort was questioned and when he was benched in the playoffs. That’s an excuse. I’m sure it was more mental on his part being afraid of tweaking it again.
A bad groin injury can take a full year to heal and it’s sooo easy to reaggravate it. I’ve had one, that’s all I’m saying.

Deleted member 27798

I was at the Friday game, and also the game today. I will give credit where credit is due. I've stated the Laaksonen was by far the worst player at rookie camp in 2017. This year was a marked improvement. He still needs to get stronger...a lot stronger, but his improvement was very noticeable.

Among the lesser prospects, Peterson surprised me with his play...especially his speed. I was disappointed in Pilut. He really stood out during rookie camp, but just seemed to be so-so in the prospect tourney. Several dumb penalties. I'm sure there is going to be an period of adjustment for the guys coming across the Atlantic...Pilut, Olafsson, UPL, Asplund, etc...

Can't wait to head down to training camp a couple times. I see they are going to have a scrimmage on Sunday!

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I was at the Friday game, and also the game today. I will give credit where credit is due. I've stated the Laaksonen was by far the worst player at rookie camp in 2017. This year was a marked improvement. He still needs to get stronger...a lot stronger, but his improvement was very noticeable.

Among the lesser prospects, Peterson surprised me with his play...especially his speed. I was disappointed in Pilut. He really stood out during rookie camp, but just seemed to be so-so in the prospect tourney. Several dumb penalties. I'm sure there is going to be an period of adjustment for the guys coming across the Atlantic...Pilut, Olafsson, UPL, Asplund, etc...

Can't wait to head down to training camp a couple times. I see they are going to have a scrimmage on Sunday!
Judd Peterson? Isn't he eligible for the veteran minimum this year?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
SABRES MAKE PROSPECTS CHALLENGE TRANSACTIONS

BUFFALO, N.Y. (September 10, 2018) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has returned Cole Coskey (Saginaw – OHL), Kevin Hancock (Owen Sound – OHL), Oskari Laaksonen (Ilves – SM-liiga) and Nicholas Welsh (St. Mary’s University – CIS) to their respective clubs.

The team has also assigned Pascal Aquin, Arvin Atwal, Tobie Bisson, Judd Peterson and Myles Powell to Rochester for the Americans’ training camp.

Deleted member 27798

Judd Peterson? Isn't he eligible for the veteran minimum this year?
Yes...Judd Peterson...the guy who feels like he was drafted forever ago. I think he is signed to an AHL contract.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
This is the result you'd hope for. Glad it happened.

Not worried about the Boston game - an entire defense and handful of forwards having spent loads of time together will always look more structured than kids coming from forty different leagues to play together the first time.

TC later this week and first preseason game a week from today, hell yeah.

Reactions: Abraham de Lacy

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
nobody has been gifted anything yet and why the hell would a prospect tourney have any factor in determining it? Christ , training camp hasnt even started and the agendas are being sculpted

You going to debate the point or just complain about "sculpting" lol

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
SABRES MAKE PROSPECTS CHALLENGE TRANSACTIONS

BUFFALO, N.Y. (September 10, 2018) — The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has returned Cole Coskey (Saginaw – OHL), Kevin Hancock (Owen Sound – OHL), Oskari Laaksonen (Ilves – SM-liiga) and Nicholas Welsh (St. Mary’s University – CIS) to their respective clubs.

The team has also assigned Pascal Aquin, Arvin Atwal, Tobie Bisson, Judd Peterson and Myles Powell to Rochester for the Americans’ training camp.

That means that Glotov is hanging around for Sabres training camp, it looks like... :nod::snide::wg:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
It was fun listening at work counting the goals to see if they’d win the challenge. Was sure they’d do it when Nylander scored 20 seconds into the third period. Then Pitt made it interesting by getting two quick ones...but I was still pretty confident they’d cave them in in the end. But they needed 5 goals and to give up 0 at that point so it was a fun ride for them to get 6.

Always good to pop onto this board and be reminded that nothing is ever fun.

Reactions: Dex and Rasmi

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Noah Welsh, with that top shelf was beautiful and Coskey had a nice game. I'm really impressed with some of these invites, as well as Shepherd, who I really hope we look to sign at the UFA deadline for College Seniors.

Reactions: Dingo44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad