2018 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So in the end it will have been a 6 year rebuild? With Eriksson and Beagle still on the books? Gross.

1) A successful rebuild should be about 5-7 yeas in length.

2) The Canucks started rebuilding in 2014 when they traded Luongo.

3) Many fans assume that retooling and rebuilding are completely different when in reality, a retool is simply a less aggressive form of a rebuild. Saying that, “we aren’t rebuilding......we are retooling” is akin to saying, “We don’t live in Canada......we live in BC.”

4) 2nd round picks and other picks were used to fill the much needed age gap on this team (and yes - this actually is “a thing” and is a very serious problem if you’re trying to inject 18-19 year old prospects into a team full of late 20/early 30’s guys).

5) none of our free agent signings have “held back” our kids so far, nor will any of these signings “hold back” younger players, when these younger players are ready for more responsibility.

6) Mentorship is a real thing and is extremely important.

7) Now that the Canucks have successfully filled the age gap (due to a combination of some of the players that the Canucks acquired for picks, and the aging of some of their own homegrown talent, the Canucks can place a bigger emphasis on drafting and developing.......which is how they have been trending recently).

I expect the Canucks to be a playoff team in 2019-2020 (1st round loss). 2020-2021 will be the year where they will be worthy of making the 2nd round.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I hate when you comment **** like this. What's so bad about my post?
because your post is based on wild hypotheticals.

you go from assuring the canucks will be a playoff team in a few years to essentially assuring that virtanen will be a “playoff performer”, again based on absolutely zero data.

member 290103

1) A successful rebuild should be about 5-7 yeas in length.

2) The Canucks started rebuilding in 2014 when they traded Luongo.

3) Many fans assume that retooling and rebuilding are completely different when in reality, a retool is simply a less aggressive form of a rebuild. Saying that, “we aren’t rebuilding......we are retooling” is akin to saying, “We don’t live in Canada......we live in BC.”

4) 2nd round picks and other picks were used to fill the much needed age gap on this team (and yes - this actually is “a thing” and is a very serious problem if you’re trying to inject 18-19 year old prospects into a team full of late 20/early 30’s guys).

5) none of our free agent signings have “held back” our kids so far, nor will any of these signings “hold back” younger players, when these younger players are ready for more responsibility.

6) Mentorship is a real thing and is extremely important.

7) Now that the Canucks have successfully filled the age gap (due to a combination of some of the players that the Canucks acquired for picks, and the aging of some of their own homegrown talent, the Canucks can place a bigger emphasis on drafting and developing.......which is how they have been trending recently).

I expect the Canucks to be a playoff team in 2019-2020 (1st round loss). 2020-2021 will be the year where they will be worthy of making the 2nd round.

2) No they didn't. They have still not started rebuilding. You don't rebuild by acquiring veterans on bloated contracts and constantly talk about wanting to make the playoffs first and foremost.

3) Huh? That's a terrible analogy. A retool is keeping together most of your core, a rebuild is disassembling it.

4) The age cap is ridiculous. That's not why they acquired those players. See point 2). It was to make the playoffs.

5) I don't see how this could NOT be the case? Beagle will take the roster spot of a guy like Gaunce. Having to ice the likes of Gudbranson and Del Zotto would appear to take roster spots away from younger players that are probably just as defensively capable.

6) Agreed that it is valuable, but it should not be the prime driving consideration in assembling your roster - and it is for Linden.

7) LOL, right. I agree, Dim will go looking for picks the night before the draft next year and continue to trade them for shitty veteran talent in the interim.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
If the Canucks aren't a playoff team in 2019/2020, I will become Caitlyn Jenner.

Might want to take this back while you still can. I dont see us making the playoffs in 2-3 years at all with this mess of a lineup

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
This team is very silent at the moment,,we have cap,and are loaded with extra bodys,,,wonder whats going on at Rodgers,,,scary thoughts.

they are stalled on stecher and apparently also on virtanen. this team likes to get everyone signed quickly, doesn't bargain hard, and summer vacation starts soon, so i am mildly concerned on both counts.

i also assume they are waiting for quinn to decide. if he signs they will surely be making a move.

it is interesting to speculate whether these situations are connected. hockey etiquette says you try not to trade an rfa you just signed, or at the very least, that you have to be very business-like in the way you sign them and can't say stuff that implies they have a longterm future with the club.

so maybe there is a trade in waiting if quinn signs. patches perhaps.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I looked at cap freindly,Does Beagle have a ntc as its not showing
Rousell do,es...i see that.

It does show on Beagle's page on capfriendly, though it doesn't show on the Canucks' team page and even on Beagle's page it doesn't show in the "Clauses" column but only at the bottom of the contract details for his current contract.

From Beagle's page on capfriendly:

"CLAUSE DETAILS: 2018-19 & 19-20: Player submits a 15 no team trade list. 2020-21 & 21-22: Player submits a 5 team no trade list.
CLAUSE SOURCE: CapFriendly"

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Roussel's NTC is this:

CLAUSE DETAILS: 2018-19: Player submits a 15 no team trade list. 2019-20 & 20-21: Player submits a 8 team no trade list. 2021-22: Player submits a 5 team no trade list.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Instead of losing them on waivers for nothing due to idiocy:

Leipsic, Gaunce, Goldobin and Hutton (max retention) to Chicago for (your return here)

I would prefer it was Sutter, Granlund, MDZ and Baertschi but we don't deserve nice things.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
they are stalled on stecher and apparently also on virtanen. this team likes to get everyone signed quickly, doesn't bargain hard, and summer vacation starts soon, so i am mildly concerned on both counts.

i also assume they are waiting for quinn to decide. if he signs they will surely be making a move.

it is interesting to speculate whether these situations are connected. hockey etiquette says you try not to trade an rfa you just signed, or at the very least, that you have to be very business-like in the way you sign them and can't say stuff that implies they have a longterm future with the club.

so maybe there is a trade in waiting if quinn signs. patches perhaps.

Horvat signed in september. At least wait to august to panic.

Hughes has already talked about playing in the AHL this year. I'd assume he'd sign, more likely the team is ponder the best course of action for a dman that small. Any contract talk will consist of "rookie max, now write your preferred bonuses here, sign there."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad