2018 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 290103

Roussel's NTC is this:

CLAUSE DETAILS: 2018-19: Player submits a 15 no team trade list. 2019-20 & 20-21: Player submits a 8 team no trade list. 2021-22: Player submits a 5 team no trade list.

What the surreal f***? This guy got a NTC as well? Jesus.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
1) A successful rebuild should be about 5-7 yeas in length.

2) The Canucks started rebuilding in 2014 when they traded Luongo.

3) Many fans assume that retooling and rebuilding are completely different when in reality, a retool is simply a less aggressive form of a rebuild. Saying that, “we aren’t rebuilding......we are retooling” is akin to saying, “We don’t live in Canada......we live in BC.”

4) 2nd round picks and other picks were used to fill the much needed age gap on this team (and yes - this actually is “a thing” and is a very serious problem if you’re trying to inject 18-19 year old prospects into a team full of late 20/early 30’s guys).

5) none of our free agent signings have “held back” our kids so far, nor will any of these signings “hold back” younger players, when these younger players are ready for more responsibility.

6) Mentorship is a real thing and is extremely important.

7) Now that the Canucks have successfully filled the age gap (due to a combination of some of the players that the Canucks acquired for picks, and the aging of some of their own homegrown talent, the Canucks can place a bigger emphasis on drafting and developing.......which is how they have been trending recently).

I expect the Canucks to be a playoff team in 2019-2020 (1st round loss). 2020-2021 will be the year where they will be worthy of making the 2nd round.

trying to trade away your 1st rounders in the middle of team low to bring in veterans does not scream rebuilt, it is a pure retooling move, a move designed to build on what you have by trading away the future for now.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
roussel's agent says he chose the canucks among three 4 year term offers and 10 teams. beagle had 8+ teams after him.

sounds like a call from benning is not unwelcome at all.

i agree that cash, term and add on terms have something to do with that.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Instead of losing them on waivers for nothing due to idiocy:

Leipsic, Gaunce, Goldobin and Hutton (max retention) to Chicago for (your return here)

I would prefer it was Sutter, Granlund, MDZ and Baertschi but we don't deserve nice things.

As insane as it sounds, there are teams around the league that could probably use and have room for the first four players. Any of these supposed teams that gave offers to Roussell and Beagle should be offered Gaunce (if we're resigned to the fact that he's getting waived in September) in the same way Calgary dumped Granlund on us.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
roussel's agent says he chose the canucks among three 4 year term offers and 10 teams. beagle had 8+ teams after him.

Seems to me a call from Benning would be the most welcome of all. Term, Money, whatever and however much you want.... it's only a phone call away!

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Even if we assume this is true and not agent speak ... it just means no other team was dumb enough to offer these stupid contracts. They certainly didn't come here to win.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Even if we assume this is true and not agent speak ... it just means no other team was dumb enough to offer these stupid contracts. They certainly didn't come here to win.

so three players noted as being tough competitive high effort character guys came here strictly to cash a pay cheque not to win? the team they were coming to played no part in their choice. just mercenaries, despite all the teams approaching them.

and your eviden e for this is what? you hate benning? it's cool to crap on the canucks? make your case for the idea beagle is not coming here to win. i'd love to hear it.

there are a lot of extreme negative hot takes given around here. but this one is noteworthy for the fact it requires you to disrespect and deride players we just acquired with excellent reputations just so you can hate benning.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
so three players noted as being tough competitive high effort character guys came here strictly to cash a pay cheque not to win? the team they were coming to played no part in their choice. just mercenaries, despite all the teams approaching them.

and your eviden e for this is what? you hate benning? it's cool to crap on the canucks? make your case for the idea beagle is not coming here to win. i'd love to hear it.

there are a lot of extreme negative hot takes given around here. but this one is noteworthy for the fact it requires you to disrespect and deride players we just acquired with excellent reputations just so you can hate benning.

You think those guys are coming here to win?

giphy.gif

Yeah, I'm sure Beagle and Roussel being able to more than double their career earnings in just the first 3 years of their contracts had little to do with it.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
You think those guys are coming here to win?

Yeah, I'm sure Beagle and Roussel being able to more than double their career earnings in just the first 3 years of their contracts had little to do with it.

and i am sure they could have made close to the same money and term elsewhere. so you are talking about them going to a team regardless of its prospects to win because of the incremental difference between that team's offer and the next offer. i think that is unlikely with so many options and given the reputations of these players. i also think an opinion it was all about the dough is just projecting your benning hate on a player who hasn't played a game for us yet: e.g. "anybody willing to sign this terrible team must be a bloodless mercenary".

and you might want to read my posts before throwing a straw man and a gif at me. it doesn't follow from me disagreeing with trugrit that i have the opposite extreme view. so no, i am not saying money had nothing to do with it. if you go back to the post that started this little exchange i said money and term was obviously part of it.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Common sense. It's basic common sense. You're talking about the team with the worst aggregate record for three years running. Either these guys came here for the money or they're insanely quixotic. Like if Jay Beagle is looking at this team and saying "I can turn that around." Dude is delusional. Team's clearly terrible.

Jay Beagle probably will probably be retired by the time the Canucks next make the playoffs.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Common sense. It's basic common sense. You're talking about the team with the worst aggregate record for three years running. Either these guys came here for the money or they're insanely quixotic. Like if Jay Beagle is looking at this team and saying "I can turn that around." Dude is delusional. Team's clearly terrible.

Jay Beagle probably will probably be retired by the time the Canucks next make the playoffs.

right, so you project your negative benning hating view of this team onto a player's decision to sign with us and extrapolate from that that he must either be a bloodless mercenary all about the money or a deluded idiot so either way you disrespect a guy who is now on our team and has an outstanding reputation as a quality person and player. thus you lay the groundwork for future negative takes on this guy.

it's the hockey fan equivalent of when mother hamsters eat their own young if they aren't fed enough protein.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Money and term were obviously as big factor in coming to Vancouver. How could they not be? The may have not been the only factor but a factor that can't be ignored nonetheless.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Regular paychecks are hard to come by in the NHL. Vets probably only target teams that do old fashioned analysis. How many teams pay big for older guys?

I think it is useful to note Canucks are coached by Green. Rookies do not get ice time with him, so they added a few trusted vets. I think Green will ice a viable hockey team in October.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I cant remember where i read this..but thought it was hillarious..if i can find it i will post it...but apperintly Beagle and Rousell brought in to help mentor our vets also...so my thing is..if our vets need help..WTF...why would ya want these guys in the first place...i gotta find that....

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Lmao yeah, Beagle came here for the cup chances.

yeah, that's what i was saying. sure.

i love that just raising the possibility in a post of a free agent coming here for something other than just the money, (while acknowledging the money), requires a dozen indignant hot takes like this to mock the idea and shut it down.

but there is no excessive climate of negativity here. none at all.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
yeah, that's what i was saying. sure.

i love that just raising the possibility in a post of a free agent coming here for something other than just the money, (while acknowledging the money), requires a dozen indignant hot takes like this to mock the idea and shut it down.

but there is no excessive climate of negativity here. none at all.

Do you think Beagle and Roussel signed with Vancouver because they thought we would be a winning team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad