Speculation: 2018 Root for the Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I will take OT win tonight. Would mean we are 2 behind Ottawa and then we can absorb any other loser points we may acquire in last 2 games. Unfortunately we Will have the tie breaker on them if we finish with even points and Ottawa will be last. I just hope we dont win clean as if we do then even 1 loser point in last two games makes us 30th and not 31st. I doubt Ottawa gets any other points without Karlsson and going away to PIT and BOS.
Maybe Pitt will do Botts a nice favour.
Don’t Crosby and Malkin need a rest?? ;)

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Both because if a good thing is not 100% guaranteed to happen to this franchise, it's not happening.

True, but you could do far worse then getting Zadina IMO. That kid is going to be a 30 goal scorer before he turns 21.

I wish the top D after Dahlin were just a notch better then they are, I feel like at 2nd and 3rd you are kinda reaching with Hughes/Boqvist.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
True, but you could do far worse then getting Zadina IMO. That kid is going to be a 30 goal scorer before he turns 21.
I'd be fully on the Zadina trade if we had one of Chychrun/McAvoy/Serg. But in our position, I think it's indefensible to not take a defenseman if we're not #2.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I'd be fully on the Zadina trade if we had one of Chychrun/McAvoy/Serg. But in our position, I think it's indefensible to not take a defenseman if we're not #2.

Why not just take the guy who view as the best player at 3rd overall and use 32nd + to move up into the 20's and select a D there?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Because we need a higher calibre D prospect than a guy you get in the 20s.

Depends how you view the top D in this class, I don’t view Boqvist/Hughes/Bouchard/Dobson as potential franchise or number 1 defenders, but if someone else does then I can see why they would take one so high.

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I’ll take Zadina over Svechnikov...

One positive for me is that Zadina is a gamer, that kid elevates his play big time in the big moments and never shys away. He’s not a perfect prospect by any means, but he’s going to score a lot of goals in his career. He’s got that Matthews/Laine/Stamkos type of release that can just beat goalies from everywhere.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
What does everyone think of Boqvist and Hughes? The few times I've watched Hughes he looks special. A rare talent.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Depends how you view the top D in this class, I don’t view Boqvist/Hughes/Bouchard/Dobson as potential franchise or number 1 defenders, but if someone else does then I can see why they would take one so high.
You can trade Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall but you can't trade Taylor Hall for Drew Doughty.

Reactions: Jim Carr's Rug

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
One positive for me is that Zadina is a gamer, that kid elevates his play big time in the big moments and never shys away. He’s not a perfect prospect by any means, but he’s going to score a lot of goals in his career. He’s got that Matthews/Laine/Stamkos type of release that can just beat goalies from everywhere.

He was like a great white shark at the world juniors.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
They've neglected defense for too long. It's an unfortunate spot, being forced to draft for need, but it's the spot they are in. If they are #2, they need to draft the 2nd best defenseman.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
You can trade Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall but you can't trade Taylor Hall for Drew Doughty.

You also need a GM as dumb as Chia to pull it off. Luckily we happen to have that in the division where Ekblad plays but I doubt they trade him, especially in the division, and we don't really have anything they'd want that we could part with aside from Ryan O. I still think Carolina is who we try to trade with if we don't get a dman in the draft.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
We also saw Seth Jones for Ryan Johanson not sure why you are referencing that one terrible trade.
Yes, the one top pairing defenseman traded in a hockey trade in recent memory was traded by the team who already had 4 of them.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They've neglected defense for too long. It's an unfortunate spot, being forced to draft for need, but it's the spot they are in. If they are #2, they need to draft the 2nd best defenseman.

If they do that they should just move the team to the AHL because it's f***ing mickey mouse organization.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
"They've put themselves in position where they have to draft D"

says fan of team whose top 6 includes a franchise Center who plays with Jason Pominville and Zemgus Girgensons with Scott Wilson on the other line!

"They need to draft the 2nd best defenseman at 2"

says fan of team whose wing prospects include 45 year olds who haven't made it yet Baptiste and Bailey, an undrafted college free agent who has played 1 NHL game and Nylander who I know this same fan has given up on completely.

"Yay they did it!"

says fan of team who doesn't belong in the NHL

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
"They've put themselves in position where they have to draft D"

says fan of team whose top 6 includes a franchise Center who plays with Jason Pominville and Zemgus Girgensons with Scott Wilson on the other line!

"They need to draft the 2nd best defenseman at 2"

says fan of team whose wing prospects include 45 year olds who haven't made it yet Baptiste and Bailey, an undrafted college free agent who has played 1 NHL game and Nylander who I know this same fan has given up on completely.

"Yay they did it!"

says fan of team who doesn't belong in the NHL

Toronto Maple Leafs are the team everyone obsesses over on this board and they have exactly one defender on there roster who was drafted by them in the first round, they needed a D in 2015 but instead settled for there leading scorer...

We should be taking the BPA with our first and making D a priority with the two seconds and hopefully we can be in the mid first next year and get another couple D then as well.

Reactions: Mitts888

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
No, they are not forced and will not do that, guaranteed. Not at 2, maybe not 3, at 4 I see us drafting D. We have 32/33 pick that can be used on D and we can trade with teams that have excessive D depth and not that great F depth (Carolina, Calgary).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad