Speculation: 2018 Root for the Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The most important official function in the league is conducted in a back room and revealed by envelope. I don't think it's rigged, but the NHL deserves to bear the accusation, just for the stupidity of the process.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
The most important official function in the league is conducted in a back room and revealed by envelope. I don't think it's rigged, but the NHL deserves to bear the accusation, just for the stupidity of the process.
It's not stupid. Members of every single team watch the drawing happen. the envelope thing is for television. I'm almost positive there's video out there from the Matthews lotto win, actually. It's boring as hell.

People really love to craft things that just aren't there.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It's not stupid. Members of every single team watch the drawing happen. the envelope thing is for television. I'm almost positive there's video out there from the Matthews lotto win, actually. It's boring as hell.

I was not aware of that. You're right, I found a source.

Last edited:

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I don’t care, because the lottery odds make it so, but there is a really strong chance Ottawa loses out, in which case, the Sabres would lose the top spot if they manage 2 pts out of Tor, TB, and Fla.
With that said, I hope they beat the Leafs in an embarrassing fashion tonight.

Guessing Ottawa loses out as well and the Sabres win 1-2 more games besides the one against Ottawa. That puts us in 2nd or 3rd last, dunno about tiebreakers with Montreal.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The thing that makes the lottery a farce is not the potential to rig it (I highly doubt it's rigged, but I do think the NHL should show it live to ease doubts and make a more entertaining 30 mins). The lottery is a joke exactly because of the random results we've seen. "Random" doesn't come out "equal" until hundreds or thousands of times through. The desire to have teams play 100% to game #82 is all fine and well, but the damage done by teams "throwing" an extra couple points down the stretch doesn't come near the damage done by throwing draft orders out of whack and rewarding teams that didn't need the extra help, or hurting teams that really did need it.

The draft lottery, if used at all, should include the worst 3-5 teams and only put the top pick up for grabs. Allowing the chance of teams in the 23rd-16th range the chance at drafting a McDavid type player is just asking for a calamity. Continuously allowing the chance for a team (Edm) to keep lucking out or allowing a team to keep crapping out is just plain ridiculous compared the small value in preventing teams from tanking (which is quite subjective anyway).

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Are we still arguing about rigged lotto? As I was told to come to this thread to root for the tank, get yourselves a thread and start throwing empty accusations there please.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I don’t care, because the lottery odds make it so, but there is a really strong chance Ottawa loses out, in which case, the Sabres would lose the top spot if they manage 2 pts out of Tor, TB, and Fla.
With that said, I hope they beat the Leafs in an embarrassing fashion tonight.
And I hope we lose. Higher odds at Dahlin or Svechnikov are vastly more important than some moral victory over Toronto when they have clinched and we have clinched being losers this season.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I've always said they should show the drawing with a list of teams and their odds on the side. As each number is drawn, the caption could show the teams' odds changing, while some teams get grayed out as they're eliminated. Allow a few minutes between each ball so fans can keep up. It would be more entertaining than how it's done now by a long shot, adding some drama with each of the four ball results. The NHL could post the teams' various winning number combinations a week or so ahead of time so it's easier to keep up during the drawing. It would make for better TV, and virtually eliminate any doubt about the legitimacy of the process...except for the flat earther types.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I hope we win out. 70 points... probably puts in the 4th/5th slot pre-lottery. And that spot likely ensures the drafting of D if we don't win the lottery (which we won't, regardless of where we finish).

LETS GO BUFFALO!

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I hope we win out. 70 points... probably puts in the 4th/5th slot pre-lottery. And that spot likely ensures the drafting of D if we don't win the lottery (which we won't, regardless of where we finish).

LETS GO BUFFALO!

Should be 3 fairly easy wins.
Leafs resting players tonight. OT/W
No chance we lose the last Home game to Ottawa. W
Panthers depends if they still need the points. L
Lightning will rest everyone and Stamkos is injured. W

In the last 2 months we have beat the Leafs x2, Tampa x2, Boston x2
and Nashville. But in perfect tank form lose to the crap teams. Well played.
Last year Eichel mailed in the final 5 games and killed his PPG. Not this year.

Still think we hold onto 3rd spot.

31. Ottawa 65 - no more points
30. Arizona 68 One more point
29. Buffalo 68 - Six points
28. Montreal 69 - One more point

We would have 27 ROW vs. Arizona's 26 ROW.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Should be 3 fairly easy wins.
Leafs resting players tonight. OT/W
No chance we lose the last Home game to Ottawa. W
Panthers depends if they still need the points. L
Lightning will rest everyone and Stamkos is injured. W

In the last 2 months we have beat the Leafs x2, Tampa x2, Boston x2
and Nashville. But in perfect tank form lose to the crap teams. Well played.
Last year Eichel mailed in the final 5 games and killed his PPG. Not this year.

Still think we hold onto 3rd spot.

31. Ottawa 65 - no more points
30. Arizona 68 One more point
29. Buffalo 68 - Six points
28. Montreal 69 - One more point

We would have 27 ROW vs. Arizona's 26 ROW.
We have a passimist in the room. Arizona only 1 more point and we get 6? LOL

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I've always said they should show the drawing with a list of teams and their odds on the side. As each number is drawn, the caption could show the teams' odds changing, while some teams get grayed out as they're eliminated. Allow a few minutes between each ball so fans can keep up. It would be more entertaining than how it's done now by a long shot, adding some drama with each of the four ball results. The NHL could post the teams' various winning number combinations a week or so ahead of time so it's easier to keep up during the drawing. It would make for better TV, and virtually eliminate any doubt about the legitimacy of the process...except for the flat earther types.
I agree that something like that would be a lot more fun to watch. Though the NHL has been putting out each team's number combos beforehand jsyk, so look forward to that at some point.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It's hockey and anything can happen, like team #31 beating team #1 on the road.

Last week, no one was going to out-tank Vancouver, as I recall. Then Vancouver won 4 in a row.

No matter what happens, a lottery will decide where we end up in the top 5, and all the games from here on out can only really move those odds around 10%.

:dunno:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
He's referring to the Wiggins year.
Oh, okay. Even so, last I checked something having a 1.7% chance of happening isn't a miracle, even if the timing is convenient. The Bulls won the lottery with the exact same odds in 2008. Now maybe that's more often than it "should" happen, but that's one of the things about randomness: it often doesn't "look" random. Hell, people should be able to tell that from doing the draft lottery simulators.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
As far as the NHL, sure

the NBA is as straight as a circle, and that 2008 win was mad convenient for the NBA too

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
It's hockey and anything can happen, like team #31 beating team #1 on the road.

Last week, no one was going to out-tank Vancouver, as I recall. Then Vancouver won 4 in a row.

No matter what happens, a lottery will decide where we end up in the top 5, and all the games from here on out can only really move those odds around 10%.

:dunno:
1st vs 3rd:
7% more on Dahlin
5% more on Svechnikov
40% more on picking 3 or 4

10%????????????

Reactions: Myers888
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad