Speculation: 2018 Root for the Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Vastly? Not close.

You should see Quinn Hughes play in person. He has a bit of an edge and does not shy away from contact.
5'10 is vastly for the NHL. Current ideal IMO is 6-6'1 range. Hes 2-3 inches away from that. I know hes immensely skilled but hes still quite short which by default qualifies him as a gamble.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
No, they are not forced and will not do that, guaranteed. Not at 2, maybe not 3, at 4 I see us drafting D. We have 32/33 pick that can be used on D and we can trade with teams that have excessive D depth and not that great F depth (Carolina, Calgary).

So there are two teams that we could trade with? And how many other teams would also like to make the same trade you're referring? 20? 21? Gosh, I would love to be Carolina or Calgary.

What an excellent position to put us into. :sarcasm:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
So there are two teams that we could trade with? And how many other teams would also like to make the same trade you're referring? 20? 21? Gosh, I would love to be Carolina or Calgary.

What an excellent position to put us into. :sarcasm:
Its not just 2 teams, there are others like Nashville and Columbus tjat cam do it too. And there certainly arent 20 teams tjat can take out F depth to add D. So your sarcastic comment is nonsense.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
5'10 is vastly for the NHL. Current ideal IMO is 6-6'1 range. Hes 2-3 inches away from that. I know hes immensely skilled but hes still quite short which by default qualifies him as a gamble.
I think his skillset compares favorably to those of his size who've already established themselves in the league; Butcher, Krug, Vatanen, Ellis, Gostisbehere, and Barrie. All of these guys are top defensemen for their teams, as well. It's a much more hospitable game for smaller finesse defensemen now than ever before.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I think his skillset compares favorably to those of his size who've already established themselves in the league; Butcher, Krug, Vatanen, Ellis, Gostisbehere, and Barrie. All of these guys are top defensemen for their teams, as well. It's a much more hospitable game for smaller finesse defensemen now than ever before.
Im fully aware who the good short D in the league are but they are not that many. Also Im not sure I take any of thrm over say Filip Forsberg (i.e. Zadina potential). I definitely take Svech over any of the rest of the D. Zadina and Tkachuk vs the rest of the D is quite a dilemma for me.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

None of those players are worthy of second/third overall in a good draft year.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
Its not just 2 teams, there are others like Nashville and Columbus tjat cam do it too. And there certainly arent 20 teams tjat can take out F depth to add D. So your sarcastic comment is nonsense.

So now we have forward depth we can trade away to get D? I thought the argument was that Eichel has nobody to play with and a forward is just as big of a need as D?

Reactions: ek93

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny

Sigh, this is literally just Hyperbole. Some facts for you:

Erik Karlsson - 5'11''
Ryan Ellis - 5'10''
Will Butcher - 5'10''
Anton Stralman 5'11
Shayne Gostisbehere 5'11''

Just to name a few...and before you start quoting draft status...where was Karlsson drafted again? Hell where was Will Butcher? They among the top defensemen in the league.

Now are you wrong on league average? Nope. But does that inherently make every player under that average a risk? Hell no it doesn't... otherwise players like Joe Finley and John Scott would be making 10+ million dollars and be the ideal Defensemen in the league because they are that much over the average! Oh and lets not forget Tyler Myers.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
So I gather you want them to draft a forward...
At 2 there is no choice to make.

3 and beyond draft d fine.

But pretending that we have to pass on goal scoring at all costs is ridiculous

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Sigh, this is literally just Hyperbole. Some facts for you:

Erik Karlsson - 5'11''
Ryan Ellis - 5'10''
Will Butcher - 5'10''
Anton Stralman 5'11
Shayne Gostisbehere 5'11''

Just to name a few...and before you start quoting draft status...where was Karlsson drafted again? Hell where was Will Butcher? They among the top defensemen in the league.

Now are you wrong on league average? Nope. But does that inherently make every player under that average a risk? Hell no it doesn't... otherwise players like Joe Finley and John Scott would be making 10+ million dollars and be the ideal Defensemen in the league because they are that much over the average! Oh and lets not forget Tyler Myers.
Karlsson is the only one I take over Filip Forsberg who is my comparison of Zadina. And he still has an inch on Hughes unless the combine measurements show otherwise. So what exactly is your point here?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
At 2 there is no choice to make.

3 and beyond draft d fine.

But pretending that we have to pass on goal scoring at all costs is ridiculous

I see, passing on goal scoring at all costs is equivalent to not taking svech? Seems extreme. Particularly with mitts and baptiste showing well and free agency comes.

I suspect a number of the d will help in the goal scoring department.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
5’10 is not prohibitively short for an NHLer. Sure, every GM would like to have an incredibly agile, 6’3 force that can do everything at every position.

Your opinion is not going to change on them if they magically grew an inch.

It was rumored that Mitch Marner was closer to 150lbs his draft year than the 170 he claimed. Don’t be a fool into thinking that size is everything in the NHL. That’s how fans end up going “how did we pass on Player X?!” Well, it’s because your GM thiught an Uber talented prospect was too small at 5’10 3/8s and 170lbs as a 17 year old instead of 5’11 7/8s and 190lbs.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
They've neglected defense for too long. It's an unfortunate spot, being forced to draft for need, but it's the spot they are in. If they are #2, they need to draft the 2nd best defenseman.

At #2, I draft Svechnikov. If we're 3 or later, I probably agree with you.

You also need a GM as dumb as Chia to pull it off. Luckily we happen to have that in the division where Ekblad plays but I doubt they trade him, especially in the division, and we don't really have anything they'd want that we could part with aside from Ryan O. I still think Carolina is who we try to trade with if we don't get a dman in the draft.

Bergevin is the mark in our division. Botts correctly identified that much. Unfortunately, he only turned that into Beaulieu and a (good) AHL defenseman.

Yes, the one top pairing defenseman traded in a hockey trade in recent memory was traded by the team who already had 4 of them.

Is PK Subban not that, or was that not a hockey trade?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
At #2, I draft Svechnikov. If we're 3 or later, I probably agree with you.

Bergevin is the mark in our division. Botts correctly identified that much. Unfortunately, he only turned that into Beaulieu and a (good) AHL defenseman.

Is PK Subban not that, or was that not a hockey trade?
Most definitely not. PK was not traded for hockey reasons (and he was traded for another top pairing guy)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If we get #2, Arizona ends up at #4, and Carolina is sandwiched between at #3 and we assume the Canes would take Zadina (need forwards, would have the Czech combo with Necas), would you make the following trade, allowing for some unremarkable pick slots to even out value:

4th overall
Max Domi

for

2nd overall
Alex Nylander

If not, is it because you perceive too much of a dropoff from Svechnikov to the best non-Dahlin defenseman, and the swap of Nylander and Domi doesn't make up the value? Would you need a NHL roster defenseman to be willing to move out of 2nd overall?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If we get #2, Arizona ends up at #4, and Carolina is sandwiched between at #3 and we assume the Canes would take Zadina (need forwards, would have the Czech combo with Necas), would you make the following trade, allowing for some unremarkable pick slots to even out value:

4th overall
Max Domi

for

2nd overall
Alex Nylander

If not, is it because you perceive too much of a dropoff from Svechnikov to the best non-Dahlin defenseman, and the swap of Nylander and Domi doesn't make up the value? Would you need a NHL roster defenseman to be willing to move out of 2nd overall?

Can we get 4+Chychrun for 2+[something more than Nylander] instead?

And if not, we need to get Keller instead of Domi.

#alltheterriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->