Speculation: 2018 Root for the Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
If we get #2, Arizona ends up at #4, and Carolina is sandwiched between at #3 and we assume the Canes would take Zadina (need forwards, would have the Czech combo with Necas), would you make the following trade, allowing for some unremarkable pick slots to even out value:

4th overall
Max Domi

for

2nd overall
Alex Nylander

If not, is it because you perceive too much of a dropoff from Svechnikov to the best non-Dahlin defenseman, and the swap of Nylander and Domi doesn't make up the value? Would you need a NHL roster defenseman to be willing to move out of 2nd overall?

Nylander's stock is rising. Domi's stock has crashed. I think I'd rather just hold onto my stock that seems to be trending in the right direction, even though it's current value is lower than the one I'd be trading for.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Nylander's stock is rising. Domi's stock has crashed. I think I'd rather just hold onto my stock that seems to be trending in the right direction, even though it's current value is lower than the one I'd be trading for.

I think you'd find a lot of people who'd disagree with that, especially in the 585 area code. But much of how anyone views that trade will come down to their perception of whether Nylander is legit or not.

Domi, like the Yotes, has turned things around pretty nicely since February. He's near a point/game during that time. That shoulder injury from his December 2016 fight seems to finally be behind him. I'm not sure Nylander is a consistent 50+ point player like Domi - as I said, I'm willing to give Max a pass for the first few months of this year given the position change and the lingering injury - at the NHL level.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There is a roster thread for roster moves and a draft thread to discuss draftees.

The only reason this thread exists is for people to kvetch about how losing improves the Sabres probabilities in the lottery and solidifies draft position while keeping open lose-rooting out of every other thread.

Let's keep it that way, shall we?

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Ottawa fans think this is some big tank game. LOL. Very cute.
They think we are tanking because Lehner is not playing. :help:
We are going to crush them. We are trying to win and it's our last home game.

Then we lose the 2 final games and we still finish last.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Really? They all look like the top 5 scorers on this team so the core isnt the problem.

The great thing about tautology-land is that all the true statements are true!

Or to spell it out: If they weren't top scorers, we wouldn't be calling them the core. If Reinhart had stayed ineffective and Okposo were lighting it up, we'd be inverting their designations. The point isn't whether they're the best players on this team, the point is whether they're good enough to be the best players on a good team. And they're not.

Your emotions over a season where you shoulda known we were gonna be bad is clouding your judgement.

I did suspect we would be bad. Since the implosion of last year's back half, I didn't think they were good enough. But hold onto that retort, I'm sure you can use it again next year.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The great thing about tautology-land is that all the true statements are true!

Or to spell it out: If they weren't top scorers, we wouldn't be calling them the core. If Reinhart had stayed ineffective and Okposo were lighting it up, we'd be inverting their designations. The point isn't whether they're the best players on this team, the point is whether they're good enough to be the best players on a good team. And they're not.

I did suspect we would be bad. Since the implosion of last year's back half, I didn't think they were good enough. But hold onto that retort, I'm sure you can use it again next year.
How could you possible know this, why can't they become better than they are surrounded by a better team?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
How could you possible know this, why can't they become better than they are surrounded by a better team?

You got my opinion. No use arguing that it's impossible to know things, we'll be quoting Plato before we're through.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
We did it fellas!

sabres-tank1.jpg

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Hooray, we won someone from among the same tier of prospects we'd have been in anyways.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I won't celebrate the last place finish until it results with us ending up with one of Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Hughes or Boqvist.

I can totally see us getting 4th and choosing Tkachuk. Don't get me wrong, I like Tkachuk...but that would be an incredibly disappointing result from this disaster of a season.

Reactions: ek93
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad