Votes: 3 8.6%
  • i'm telling del zotto

Votes: 32 91.4%

• Total voters

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
This is what I was going to say.

Cutting the CEO's salary in half and cutting the fares by a proportional amount would result in like 1/100th of one penny based on the total ridership this year. Even if you rode the train or bus twice a day every day in 2018, you'd save about a quarter.

This doesn't mean their salaries aren't way out of line though.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Like Rocko said; "Doesn't make their current salaries right, but cutting exec pay would amount to a mere drop in the bucket."

But they could use that money to make much better choices. Add more services. Then at least your increase in fees go to something. Like that $300K would probably be enough to offset another seabus run from downtown late at night on your busy nights. Or later service for something. Especially once you add in people paying to use said service.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
A drop in the bucket would still help those living paycheque to paycheque....

Apparently theres transit police out there making $100k/year. Their salaries (all around) are ridiculous.

Saving $2 million (rough estimate) from exec salaries isn't going to keep much money in the pocket of those living paycheque to paycheque when they're trying to fund projects totalling billions of dollars. It would merely be a PR move than one that would fund projects.

Transit Police are a municipal police force. 100k/year, before overtime, is the going rate for a municipal constable after 5 years around here.

IMO, I'd rather see an integrated unit between the municipal forces and RCMP handle policing transit, but that's not going to happen any time soon, if ever. But, you'd still have Translink paying for that anyway.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Translink's CEO makes $400k+ a year (got like a $100k raise from last year), yet we're hit up for more money with increased fares with no improved services. I hope if you're a transit user in this city that you contact them on social media & give them a piece of your mind instead of your wallet.

/rant
Well they worked pretty darn hard to be in that position so why not be rewarded like that? Economy needs incentive to work HARD or everyone will wanna wash cars and serve sandwiches

Reactions: dim jim

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Well they worked pretty darn hard to be in that position so why not be rewarded like that? Economy needs incentive to work HARD or everyone will wanna wash cars and serve sandwiches
Their compensation isn't really in line with comparables in their field though. You should be rewarded for hard work but this is more on Translink's spending over what a person deserves to be paid.

Saving $2 million (rough estimate) from exec salaries isn't going to keep much money in the pocket of those living paycheque to paycheque when they're trying to fund projects totalling billions of dollars. It would merely be a PR move than one that would fund projects.
You're right that that wouldn't go very far. Perhaps my response was a bit emotional as translink always hits a nerve with me. I just think that $2M could go to providing better service kind of like racerjoe suggested.

Though maybe it's a PR move they need? I'd imagine Translink doesn't really have a great reputation with its riders.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002

It takes lots of creativity and passion to become a great sandwich artist. Success cannot just be defined by $. The arts play an important role in society.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Translink's CEO makes $400k+ a year (got like a $100k raise from last year), yet we're hit up for more money with increased fares with no improved services. I hope if you're a transit user in this city that you contact them on social media & give them a piece of your mind instead of your wallet.

/rant

Be unhappy with the quality of the service but $400K for a CEO the size of translink is very reasonable.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Aw, he still thinks this is how it works.

As for Translink, rabble rabble rabble it took me 4 minutes longer to get where I needed to today! My life is over.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

As for Translink, rabble rabble rabble it took me 4 minutes longer to get where I needed to today! My life is over.

I have no problem with that.

But I start complaining when the expo line has had multiple delays in the past few weeks of 40+ minutes where only one side of the track is working for a certain amount of stations.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

So according to your potato based analytics, a limited correlation exists between how hardworking and intelligent an employee is, and their potential to become a C-Level executive. Lol nice.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I have no problem with that.

But I start complaining when the expo line has had multiple delays in the past few weeks of 40+ minutes where only one side of the track is working for a certain amount of stations.

Have literally never had this happen taking the expo line daily all year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad