Patriots/NFL 2018 Offseason - Edelman suspended 4 games for PED violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
This is hindsight is 20/20 talk.

At the time of the deal JG had played one and a half good games before being injured. I don’t believe any of the BS revisionist history coming out of CLE claiming they would have given up the farm.

I guess you could argue that they could have tried to keep JG until the FA period started this year by tagging him and dealing him, but that would have been extremely tricky with the Cap implications.

I don't think it's hindsight at all. Bill should have figured out Jimmy wasn't taking a bridge deal and that trading Brady wasn't an option (if in fact he wanted to but was told no). I'm not saying they had to get the farm from Cleveland. But they absolutely could have gotten more for Jimmy than what they got. Whether from Cleveland or whoever else.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
My football knowledge is average at best, but I like this deal for Cooks. Bill took the #32 pick in 2017 and turned it into the #23 pick in 2018. Bill jumped up 9 spots and it cost him what? If you take out same round picks and Cooks, it basically works out to be 3rd rounder to move up 9 spots. I'd say that's pretty good value.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
So the big question I have on Cooks is why was he so underwhelming last year? Was it because he's not actually that dynamic of a player? Or was it because the Pats asked him to play more inside once Julian got hurt, and that role simply doesn't suit his game?

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
So the big question I have on Cooks is why was he so underwhelming last year? Was it because he's not actually that dynamic of a player? Or was it because the Pats asked him to play more inside once Julian got hurt, and that role simply doesn't suit his game?

His production was about 90% of what he put up in NO. What we saw is who he is. Solid but not a game breaker.

Pretty great how Bill traded the 31st for 2 years of Cooks. Then got the 23rd for 1 year of Cooks

I doubt we'll draft up. I think we'll draft OL, DL, LB, QB

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
His production was about 90% of what he put up in NO. What we saw is who he is. Solid but not a game breaker.

Yes, but what I'm asking is why was that? Was it because the player simply isn't a game breaker? Or because the team asked him to do something other than streaks down the field like he did in NO? If he goes to LA and looks like the guy we saw in NO, is the problem him or the way the Pats used him?

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Yes, but what I'm asking is why was that? Was it because the player simply isn't a game breaker? Or because the team asked him to do something other than streaks down the field like he did in NO? If he goes to LA and looks like the guy we saw in NO, is the problem him or the way the Pats used him?

We saw the same guy who was in NO. He wasn't asked to play a different role, although I'm not sure on all his routes. He averaged more "air yards" per target in 2017 with NE than he did in 2016 with NO.

Receiving Stats | NFL Next Gen Stats

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

He is what he is.

I also question his football IQ a bit. Not because of stats, but because of the play in the SB where he got killed and knocked out of the game screamed lack of football smarts and awareness to me.

They supposedly had extension talks with him that went nowhere, and didn't like him enough to keep him.

Reactions: Bmessy

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

Brandon Lloyd had 1,500 yds and 11 TDs with Kyle freaking Orton throwing him the ball in Denver......then goes to the Pats and largely disappears. It happens.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Was being hyperbolic haha. They better take an O/D line stud with that pick.

If they came out of the first with Kolton Miller and Rashaan Evans, or a CB, I would be pretty happy.

As much as Bill moves around in the draft, I believe the only two years they have had two first round picks under him are 2004 and 2012. Both years they kept the firsts and took a defensive player with the higher pick. In 04 they took Wilfork and Ben Watson. In 2012 they took Jones and Hightower.

As usual, NE is hard to predict because they don't seem to rate the players they like the way most publications/experts do. The good news is that generally speaking, the consensus is that the deepest positions are Edge Rushers, QB, CB, LB and the Patriots could use help at all those positions. The bad news is that OT, another area of need, is one of the weakest positions.

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
Cooks performed almost exactly how I would have expected him to. Where was the upside (i.e. performing wildly better than in NO) coming from? Much better QB/offense? No. Better place to play for passing? Definitely no.

Got a really good year out of him, and dealt him for a high pick after WR contracts exploded and they weren't going to sign him. Well played by the Pats.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I will be surprised if Belichick stays where he is with both first rounders

Rasshaan Evans is an Alabama LB and plays the inside- the Saban angle always in play

They could use a corner and/or T late in first although people do like Garcia a lot from last year's draft and he's been in the system a year

One possibility is move Cannon to LT and try Garcia and others at RT

I'd like to see them grab one of the TE in the second round and of course get QB in the second round

Good backs usually can be found in the third round

Belichick doesn't have a 4 or 5 so get ready moving out of 1st for a second, a third, and a 5th when there are stud players available

Last edited:

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Evans and Miller are what I am looking at. Hear they're interested in Mayfield dont see him being around. Im a big Josh Allen guy but he would be around.

Only QB I could see being around is Lamar Jackson. Will have to do more research into QBs but I would rather get Miller and Evans in the 1st then draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd.

Our last 2 drafted QBs are 2nd and I think 3rd rounders who are now starters on other teams.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I will be surprised if Belichick stays where he is with both first rounders

Rasshaan Evans is an Alabama LB and plays the inside- the Saban angle always in play

They could use a corner and/or T late in first although people do like Garcia a lot from last year's draft and he's been in the system a year

One possibility is move Cannon to LT and try Garcia and others at RT

I'd like to see them grab one of the TE in the second round and of course get QB in the second round

Good backs usually can be found in the third round

Belichick doesn't have a 4 or 5 so get ready moving out of 1st for a second, a third, and a 5th when there are stud players available

The really young LB out of VA Tech, Tremaine Edmunds, seems to be a quick riser in this draft and there have been rumors and stories linking the Pats to him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The really young LB out of VA Tech, Tremaine Edmunds, seems to be a quick riser in this draft and there have been rumors and stories linking the Pats to him.
He's showing up high in a lot of Mocks

The only guarantee I'm going to be sitting on the couch all excited there's 5 or so guys left on board when the Patriots pick at 31 and they'll go to the .00 in time for about 2 minutes of speculation and anticipation. The jingle will play and then Detroit or Tennessee will have the pick and we will find out 10 minutes later the Patriots picked up that teams second and fourth and a seventh.

When the Lions pick acquired comes up all 5 guys will be gone and Belichick will take a secondary stiff to add to the pile of second round misses over the past 15 years

Meanwhile there will be a stud TE that he will pass and be picked by the Eagles at 32

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Admittedly I'm not really an NFL fan, but I saw the Titans unveiled their new jerseys, and I have to say.... There are no good looking football uniforms anymore. They're skin tight, no sleeves, blah. I'm an old fart. Give me these back:

b2e77cedb8ad934151407b90631c70ad--washington-redskins-nfl-football.jpg

2c13329672c7b14c45021ceaa288554d-1208x1877.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA