Patriots/NFL 2018 Offseason - Edelman suspended 4 games for PED violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I said it earlier, but will restate. This move only makes sense if they bundle the picks and move way up for an impact player to help with this year, or if they bundle the picks to get ODB from the Giants. If the plan is to use both picks or take one late first rounder and move the other for a couple of seconds or a second and third, it's a wasted move that weakens the team for the short term.

TreDavious White, TJ Watt, Reuben Foster, Tak McKinley and Taco Charlton were all taken after pick 25 this year so idk if that’s necessarily accurate. If the plan is to go defense they could draft starters at those spots.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I said it earlier, but will restate. This move only makes sense if they bundle the picks and move way up for an impact player to help with this year, or if they bundle the picks to get ODB from the Giants. If the plan is to use both picks or take one late first rounder and move the other for a couple of seconds or a second and third, it's a wasted move that weakens the team for the short term.
Belichick is getting a QB even if it's with the SF second round pick - he's super irritated with Brady in my opinion after the Butler instagram posts and the final episode where his Happiness and future are featured in a way the coach couldn't have liked

Bill wants a QB- Jackson probably won't even be there and I agree with you but he's got his eye on someone

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yep and they promptly dismembered it because Chandler Jones dared to want to get paid, and Jamie Collins decided to improvise on plays. In other words, they didn't need to fix the d, if they could have held onto those players. They didn't because the ego of BB got in the way. Just like in the last Super Bowl where he thought Bademosi was a better call than Butler.

Yeah, they dealt Jones because he wanted to get paid...

And because he walked into a police station with no shirt, shoes and high on artificial pot.

But leave that last part out :laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Only a one year starter and very raw. If that's what they're doing, it doesn't help with now. It's a futures move and weakening the team now for down the road with a 41 year old QB is not just stupid, it's ****ing moronic.
He could take a defensive starters in the first round - the LB from Boise State and probably get one of the TE and with SF his QB

He probably moves out of first with the Patriots pick for second and third when 5 or 6 future All Pro players are there

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

I agree for the most part, but adding Edelman and Mitchell shouldn't be overlooked. They aren't just getting rid of Cooks and not bringing in another WR

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If the Pats ever had the Saints draft from last year they'd immediately be back as the favorites to win the Super Bowl. That's how good the Saints draft was.

It's easy to say that, and hard to do. Especially given the Saints were picking 11th overall and had the Pats first round pick. The Pats will not be picking anywhere near the top of the draft. They've got 2 late firsts.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If only Bill traded Jimmy G for at least a first round pick like he should have...

Yeah, and what IF they had done that? We'd be talking about how he then flipped that first for a second and a third, which he then traded for 2 more thirds and a 5th.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Yeah, and what IF they had done that? We'd be talking about how he then flipped that first for a second and a third, which he then traded for 2 more thirds and a 5th.

Not necessarily. But if he does do that with his current first round picks I'll be pissed.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
I'm hoping for some top end defense to get added with some of these top picks.
And if only we had traded Jimmy to Cleveland for their first before last year, we could grab Barkley. I've been wanting them to have a stud running back for years to take the pressure off Brady.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It's easy to say that, and hard to do. Especially given the Saints were picking 11th overall and had the Pats first round pick. The Pats will not be picking anywhere near the top of the draft. They've got 2 late firsts.

Of course it's hard to have that draft. I'm just saying, it can be done.

as for the people who say they should have kept Jimmy G, please tell me what you would have done with Brady. Don't be like Mazz and offer zero reasons how they could have done it while screaming "you find a way."

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Lattimore was the 11th pick, but other than that, the Saints picked:

32: OT Ryan Ramczyk (starter)

42: S Marcus Williams (starter)

67: RB Alvin Kamara (starter)

76: LB Alex Anzalone (starter until he was injured for season)

103: DE Trey Hendrickson: (part of the DL rotation)

196: LB AQ Muhammad (only 1 tackle for year)

In the first three rounds this year, NE picks:

23, 31, 37, 43, 63, 95

It’s hard to replicate a draft like NO’s, but the Patriots definitely have the ammo to do it.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

as for the people who say they should have kept Jimmy G, please tell me what you would have done with Brady. Don't be like Mazz and offer zero reasons how they could have done it while screaming "you find a way."

Can't say that I'm in the camp of holding onto Jimmy G. Sucks to have had to move him, especially since it would seem they could have gotten more for him at the draft last year, but it wasn't like the franchise was going to dump Brady and keep him instead.

In terms of this current trade, the jury is still out. Until we know what they've done with the draft capital they've acquired for Cooks, it's difficult to say they won or lost the deal.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

Only scenario was Jimmy taking some kind of bridge deal but he wasn't going to do that. Other than that, had to trade one of them. And really no matter who they decided to trade, they totally bungled the return. Just poor asset management.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

you keep both through last season. this offseason you sign Jimmy and trade Brady for a big return of picks.

now you have your QB of the future in place, and a haul of picks to add good young talent to what is already a AFC Champ/SB caliber group.

It is how they have handled every single aging vet they've had under Belichick...

Law, Samuel, Johnson, Washington, Wilfork, Seymour, Vinatieri, Branch, Bledsoe, Light, Mankins, Vrabel, McGinest, Dillon, Blount, Welker...the list goes on.

Treating things purely as business and not letting emotion enter the equation is how they've sustained this 20 year run

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Only scenario was Jimmy taking some kind of bridge deal but he wasn't going to do that. Other than that, had to trade one of them. And really no matter who they decided to trade, they totally bungled the return. Just poor asset management.

This is hindsight is 20/20 talk.

At the time of the deal JG had played one and a half good games before being injured. I don’t believe any of the BS revisionist history coming out of CLE claiming they would have given up the farm.

I guess you could argue that they could have tried to keep JG until the FA period started this year by tagging him and dealing him, but that would have been extremely tricky with the Cap implications.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

There was ZERO chance he was taking a bridge deal when Brady was talking about playing til he's 45. But even if Brady said, "I'm playing two more years," why the f*** would Jimmy want to sit on the bench for two more years?

So they had to make a choice: Brady or Garopollo. Not in 2019, right now. Because if they put the franchise tag on Jimmy for one year to buy more time they couldn't put a competitive team on the field in 2018. So what would be the point of submarining Brady's season with 20 million of backup QB salary cap space?

Jimmy had to go, or Brady had to go.

I will always think they f***ed up not moving him at the draft, and they didn't get enough when they did finally move him. But trading him was the only option if they were keeping Brady.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
One "hot take" that seems laughable to me has been from Adam Jones. Whether he believes it or not, who really knows. But he's saying the Pats should have never traded for Cooks and just picked at #32 last year. Not sure how that makes sense since you got a very good year from Cooks and turned him into a higher pick. What, 9 spots higher? Unless the argument is that last year's draft as a lot deeper than this draft. On that point I have no clue.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
you keep both through last season. this offseason you sign Jimmy and trade Brady for a big return of picks.

now you have your QB of the future in place, and a haul of picks to add good young talent to what is already a AFC Champ/SB caliber group.

It is how they have handled every single aging vet they've had under Belichick...

Law, Samuel, Johnson, Washington, Wilfork, Seymour, Vinatieri, Branch, Bledsoe, Light, Mankins, Vrabel, McGinest, Dillon, Blount, Welker...the list goes on.

Treating things purely as business and not letting emotion enter the equation is how they've sustained this 20 year run

This is fine. I disagree with it, but this is a legit answer. Mazz and so many others have refused to say this. They just wave their hands and say "figure it out."

I want as much time as we have left with Brady more than I am worried about who follows him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad