Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again, now what do we do? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Those two contracts were very early in his tenure and before he had shaped the team his way. You don't think we could've came up with 1.3 in capspace to give Kucherov 6x6 if we wanted? Yes Callahan is still on the books but we have almost 12 coming off in 3 defenders so we can still sign Point. You want players coming off that you don't want, we like our top 9 so why would we want them coming off anytime soon when they're playing good? Tarasenko isn't on Kucherov level so him making 2mil less isn't because they were smarter in their contract negotiations it's because he's not worth as much.
no we could not come up with cap space because we tried to trade bishop to the flames and he rejected there contract offer.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
no we could not come up with cap space because we tried to trade bishop to the flames and he rejected there contract offer.

We could've traded Condra + late pick for future considerations, that's 300k we had wasted. Traded JT Brown before the year and had another mil +. I don't know how close to the cap we even were that year. We probably could've just kept a 21 or 22 man roster for a bit and fit him. 1.3 is easy to make work.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
We could've traded Condra + late pick for future considerations, that's 300k we had wasted. Traded JT Brown before the year and had another mil +. I don't know how close to the cap we even were that year. We probably could've just kept a 21 or 22 man roster for a bit and fit him. 1.3 is easy to make work.
nobody wanted condra we had to bury him in the ahl for almost three years.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
nobody wanted condra we had to bury him in the ahl for almost three years.

Do you know if we tried to trade him? If we offered Condra + 6th for a 7th or future considerations we could've moved him. Everyone is tradable if you're willing to add whatsw needed.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Do you know if we tried to trade him? If we offered Condra + 6th for a 7th or future considerations we could've moved him. Everyone is tradable if you're willing to add whatsw needed.
what would have been the point? we buried him in the minors with a 300 k cap hit trading him would have only opened up 300 k in cap space. why waste a draft pick to send him out ? now it would be worth it to trade callahan with a draft pick next offseason because that would open up much needed space.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
what would have been the point? we buried him in the minors with a 300 k cap hit trading him would have only opened up 300 k in cap space. why waste a draft pick to send him out ? now it would be worth it to trade callahan with a draft pick next offseason because that would open up much needed space.

Because you said we couldn't open up 1.3 in space to sign Kucherov to a 6x6 deal. Getting rid of Condra gets us 300k in space and keeping a player in the minors instead of the pressbox gives us 600 to 900k. So wedwjust need a few hundred if we didn't have any room. I don't think we were at the top of the cap anyway.

I think Condra even started the year on the main roster, we trade him before the year and his 1.25 goes all to Kucherov and he has his 6.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Because you said we couldn't open up 1.3 in space to sign Kucherov to a 6x6 deal. Getting rid of Condra gets us 300k in space and keeping a player in the minors instead of the pressbox gives us 600 to 900k. So wedwjust need a few hundred if we didn't have any room. I don't think we were at the top of the cap anyway.

I think Condra even started the year on the main roster, we trade him before the year and his 1.25 goes all to Kucherov and he has his 6.
why was kucherov holding out a guy that loves hockey and wanted to be in camp ? what deal do you think he was looking for before he signed that bridge ? because now it worked out quickly he signed asap pretty much one year out. but my point was i bet any deal they were talking about was less then the 9.5 avv he got now. Do I think they bridge point yes they will but it's a bad idea it will cost them more later on to pay him then doing it now. Why would you not want point to sign a 8 year deal now and by the time he is 30 - 31 years old he comes off the books as kucherov is on the books until he is 34-35 years old ?

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Trouba wouldn't be too bad, but I think he has injury problems??

With how good Serg has been our dcore is still amazing without E.K, sadly not cup winning amazing...yet!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Trouba would be an ideal fit next to Hedman, but not exactly someone I think we should be targeting
If we can’t get karlsson I’d rather try and resign stralman for 2-3 years the. We got sergachev, mcdonagh, hedman and stralman that’s good enough to compete for cups for a while at least good enough for 3-4 years

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If we can’t get karlsson I’d rather try and resign stralman for 2-3 years the. We got sergachev, mcdonagh, hedman and stralman that’s good enough to compete for cups for a while at least good enough for 3-4 years

I agree on the Karlsson bit. Trouba is an excellent defender, but he's in the McDonagh mold where he's not going to create a ton of offense or push the play. Karlsson does that at a generational level from the right side, and we haven't had that since Dan Boyle left.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I agree on the Karlsson bit. Trouba is an excellent defender, but he's in the McDonagh mold where he's not going to create a ton of offense or push the play. Karlsson does that at a generational level from the right side, and we haven't had that since Dan Boyle left.
Trouba is not worth it to me to clear cap space for now karlsson is worth it to me to dump Callahan and say Tyler Johnson for

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
why was kucherov holding out a guy that loves hockey and wanted to be in camp ? what deal do you think he was looking for before he signed that bridge ? because now it worked out quickly he signed asap pretty much one year out. but my point was i bet any deal they were talking about was less then the 9.5 avv he got now. Do I think they bridge point yes they will but it's a bad idea it will cost them more later on to pay him then doing it now. Why would you not want point to sign a 8 year deal now and by the time he is 30 - 31 years old he comes off the books as kucherov is on the books until he is 34-35 years old ?
I have to come to your defense on this one Todd. Kucherov didn’t say much, but what we know from his actions clearly indicate that he did not want a bridge deal, and Yzerman was trying to give him a longer term deal. Why else would Yzerman have been trying to trade Bishop if not to give Kuch what he wanted. Kuch was the only unsigned player. With our goalie depth at the time, we would have been one Vasi groin pull away from a lottery team. You left out the key item that supports your position… Kucherov fired his agent after that bridge deal. The smart move would be not to repeat that mistake (prioritizing Killorn deal over Kuch deal) and give Point a long term contract.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
We're not going to be in on Trouba, Faulk etc. We're only aiming to make room for truly elite players, we're just going to get marginal returns and more cap problems from lower calibre defenders.

Reactions: Hoek

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Because point is a good hockey player... And we would like to keep him longer in his career so he can help us win. Are you being obtuse just for the sake of being obtuse? Or have you just lost your mind and become an idiot?

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I have to come to your defense on this one Todd. Kucherov didn’t say much, but what we know from his actions clearly indicate that he did not want a bridge deal, and Yzerman was trying to give him a longer term deal. Why else would Yzerman have been trying to trade Bishop if not to give Kuch what he wanted. Kuch was the only unsigned player. With our goalie depth at the time, we would have been one Vasi groin pull away from a lottery team. You left out the key item that supports your position… Kucherov fired his agent after that bridge deal. The smart move would be not to repeat that mistake (prioritizing Killorn deal over Kuch deal) and give Point a long term contract.
yes yes yes i agree finally someone see's something yes I forgot indeed kucherov did fire his agent and then went on a rant how guys got paid and quit hint i'd guess killorn.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Show me where Kucherov or Yzerman were talking about a long term deal and settled for a bridge? Yzerman was trying to trade Bishop because he knew Vasilevskey was his guy going forward and would be cheaper for several years. As you can see by the return he got at the deadline he was trying to get a better return by moving Bishop before the season. Most every team is one groin pull, from their starter, away from being a lottery team. Capfriendly had us under the cap prior to the season starting so there was room to add to Kucherovs 4.7 and we could've easily moved a Condra or Brown for 1.3 to get him to 6. He may have fired his agent but he made himself more money by taking the bridge as he wasn't getting 9.5 two years ago.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Show me where Kucherov or Yzerman were talking about a long term deal and settled for a bridge? Yzerman was trying to trade Bishop because he knew Vasilevskey was his guy going forward and would be cheaper for several years. As you can see by the return he got at the deadline he was trying to get a better return by moving Bishop before the season. Most every team is one groin pull, from their starter, away from being a lottery team. Capfriendly had us under the cap prior to the season starting so there was room to add to Kucherovs 4.7 and we could've easily moved a Condra or Brown for 1.3 to get him to 6. He may have fired his agent but he made himself more money by taking the bridge as he wasn't getting 9.5 two years ago.
6 for 8 years = 48 million
9.5 for 8 years = 76 million.
76 million + 4.7 for 3 years = 90.1 million.

So Kucherov taking the bridge for 3 years netted him 42.1 million. Almost double.

I don't understand how some people here are having this panic button bullshit going on. I'm with you Hose, these people are basically making their own narratives without looking at any of the data objectively. They are creating their own demons and believe it to be true. Yzerman knows what and who he wants, he makes moves or signs contracts based on who he wants. Bishop was traded because for 2 years he let us down in the playoffs getting hurt when we needed him, and we had Vasy nipping at his heels the whole time. We drafted Vasy with the idea he was going to take over, we got Bishop to be a stop gap who performed like a #1 in the process which threw us for a little bit of a loop. Yzerman stayed on path and moved forward with the cheaper and better player.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
One thing we have to make sure next season is for Domingue to get at least over 20 games. We should easily be a team that shouldn't have to rely on their #1 goalie for 65+ games. And if Domingue can keep his level from last season I wouldn't be worried about him against weaker opponents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad