Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again, now what do we do? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Patches is rumored to want $8m. And, given the rumors about Montreal's dressing room being such a mess, I want no part of its leaders. Doesn't sound like Subban's been a problem in Nashville, and that guy was basically pushed off the team.

Montreal is a mess. And I'm sure Bergevin will go out of his way to bungle this.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i think we get karlsson but im ok 100% giving everyone a chance to play together another year I LIKE OUR CHANCES and the growth im believing in vasy??? that is the question mark I think this is his year and stats will show it when he becomes tops the best goalie in the game period

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
i think we get karlsson but im ok 100% giving everyone a chance to play together another year I LIKE OUR CHANCES and the growth im believing in vasy??? that is the question mark I think this is his year and stats will show it when he becomes tops the best goalie in the game period
I'm a bit worried we have not made one single nhl roster change ? other then not bringing kuntiz back and I guess Erne slots in for him there

Reactions: LoSTRaMaiR

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
and you always like our chances in the playoffs then our offense goes dry lol
i think we are fine we got the right defenders do not need karlsson we match up to anyone in league now. I said kucherov would make a jump i said hedman was making a jump and im saying vasy still hasnt made his jump. He is the difference plain and simple. He will become hasek like at some point one of these years in playoffs and I think he makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE when he rises to that level. I think he will become the best goalie in the league plain and simple. You put that with our talent pool and I realllllllllllllllly like our chances. He is close 8 shut outs last year vezina nomination. Not the best yet but in the running. He works harder or as hard as anyone in the league. That is not going to change to me he becomes a dominate goalie where he shuts down teams when in counts in the future. I expected him to do that in the end. He didnt argue wise his fault or not. I really believe mcd injury hurt us and not being able to play here a full year. With him being here a full season and with vasy improving I think we switch it up next year on say washington or anyone else. My two cents. I really thought in game 6-7 we would win and sweep vegas. I didnt think after the game 5 win we would lose again. We still have growing to do we are still super young. To me vasy is the key. I think we will see him improve on last year and be even better and when it counts he will begin his legacy of domination that will make it multiple cups not one ...

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I really think we need to add a big scoring forward to add to the Top 9 forwards and a depth power forward/grinder for the bottom 6 instead of Conacher. The problem is most of the guys are signed or the left overs are not NHL caliber players. I was hoping we would have signed Jimmy Hayes for the 4th line.
Jimmy Hayes signed a 1 year / $650,000 contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

As Mike Babcock would say with Detroit with need some size and sandpaper to be "realgud" in the playoffs.

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
i think we are fine we got the right defenders do not need karlsson we match up to anyone in league now. I said kucherov would make a jump i said hedman was making a jump and im saying vasy still hasnt made his jump. He is the difference plain and simple. He will become hasek like at some point one of these years in playoffs and I think he makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE when he rises to that level. I think he will become the best goalie in the league plain and simple. You put that with our talent pool and I realllllllllllllllly like our chances. He is close 8 shut outs last year vezina nomination. Not the best yet but in the running. He works harder or as hard as anyone in the league. That is not going to change to me he becomes a dominate goalie where he shuts down teams when in counts in the future. I expected him to do that in the end. He didnt argue wise his fault or not. I really believe mcd injury hurt us and not being able to play here a full year. With him being here a full season and with vasy improving I think we switch it up next year on say washington or anyone else. My two cents. I really thought in game 6-7 we would win and sweep vegas. I didnt think after the game 5 win we would lose again. We still have growing to do we are still super young. To me vasy is the key. I think we will see him improve on last year and be even better and when it counts he will begin his legacy of domination that will make it multiple cups not one ...
we are not that young of a team anymore we are in the prime now! killorn 28, Johnson, 28, palat, 27, Stamkos, 28, hedman, 27 mcd, 29, stralman, 32, Callahan, 33, coburn, 33, Girardi, 34, miller, 25, kucherov, 25, gourde, 26. our baby young guys really are only point 22, vasy 23 and Sergachev, 20. The time to get it done is now and yzerman knows it the window is here and opened now! thats why he went and got Mcd and miller at the deadline! thats why he wants karlsson! it's time to stop messing around and it's time to win a championship! or be known as the sharks or canucks.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Personally think we roll with what we got unless a trade for Karlsson happens. Could see us making some deal at the deadline. Maybe not Karlsson but some other need. Or maybe SY comes to the conclusion that Karlsson isn't happening and goes for Faulk instead to improve the top 4. Just don't see or know of too many options right now that is worth trading for besides Karlsson or Faulk. Someone mentioned Simmonds. He would be a great add. Don't know what the cost could be.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
We going to sign stralman to an extension or let him walk after this season ?

If we get Karlsson, Sergachev is probably gone and 3 vets (Hedman, Karlsson, McDonagh) paired with 3 total rookies on D is not a really wise idea if a team has Cup aspirations. Sergachev made great progress his first season because he was properly sheltered and mentored by a solid dependable vet and not rushed. It would be reasonable to extend the best of the three UFA defensemen which is Strålman. If in a year or so he needs his time managed a bit more, then he can move to the 3rd pairing to mentor the babies.

If we don't get Karlsson, Sergachev stays and all three of our UFA dmen walk, then there will be 2 vets (Hedman, McDonagh), Sergachev plus 3 rookies. Same concern as above.

Besides, wouldn't y'all like to see a top four of the following for a couple of years beyond this season? :D

Hedman/Strålman
McDonagh/Karlsson (or Sergachev)

BTW, I know stats aren't everything, but since Girardi's time was managed, Strålman swapped in as Hedman's partner for a decent amount of time and they still had the best possession numbers together of any of Heddy's pairs (55.7%CF). In comparison, the Girardi/Hedman pairing had a whopping 42.1%CF. If Heddy and Stråls had been together the whole season, those numbers would have made them one of the top three pairings in the NHL Corsi wise. Just sayin'... ;)

Last edited:

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I think, if we get Karlsson, it will be as a UFA.
So the pairing next year (assuming no back up plan for Faulk/Tanev etc):
Hedman-Sergachev
McD-Stalman
Koekkoek/Coburn -Gerardi
Dotchin

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
In terms of a contract extension what do you think stralman would be looking for from yzerman ? would he take a two year deal for 3.5 avv per season ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad