Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again, now what do we do? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
In terms of a contract extension what do you think stralman would be looking for from yzerman ? would he take a two year deal for 3.5 avv per season ?
That sounds low, no? Giradi is a third pairing guy (on paper) and got 3, so I would expect Stralman to get more than 3.5? (though I would love a 3.5 deal, two year deal!)

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm hoping Stralman takes a bit of a discount like Coburn did (although Coburn wasn't going to get any increase or big contract + Stralman is a much better player) Hopefully he gets paid well but doesn't hurt us in any way with the term and money

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
We going to sign stralman to an extension or let him walk after this season ?
Try keeping him, but don't overpay, in terms of both AAV and length. Here's how I see our d-men next season:

Hedman-Stralman
McDonagh-Sergachev
Coburn-Girardi

Hedman-Stralman should be a great pairing as always, especially with Hedman not having to carry him the same way he does with Dotchin and Girardi. I think McD and Sergy will compliment each other well. McD is a a great partner for the dynamic but still learning Sergy. What I'm hoping for is that Cal Foote will be ready to join the team in the 19/20 season.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I know eklund is bad but he has some flyers sources I hope this rumor is true ! On Wayne Simmonds.... per eklund -

The Flyers expect a lot if they are to trade him, and I do get the sense they could just let him play out the season...I know Edmonton and Toronto would be eager to make this move, but I am also hearing Tampa's name today...That looks like a contingency path should Karlsson fall through.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Simmonds would be a big risk with his play style and injury history. He'll be looking to cash out big time as well, could be his last contract.

Reactions: Cmac66

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Simmonds would be a big risk with his play style and injury history. He'll be looking to cash out big time as well, could be his last contract.

I know SY doesnt like to do rentals but I wouldnt mind him as a rental and then just signing Karlsson in the offseason if that were to work.

Reactions: Cmac66

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
We don't have enough futures to trade for both Simmonds and Karlsson even as cheap rentals. I mean we might but we'd be back almost to the starting block at the farm and need another 2-3 years to stock up again. At this point it's better to let the season take its course and acquire Karlsson via UFA. We can prove we are the preferred destination, we can prove he wants to come here and we can prove that a few cap moves and we can fit him in.

Wait it out and pull strings during the season i.e Callahan back to NYR as not part of a Karlsson deal. A homecoming would actually benefit both player and organization

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
We don't have enough futures to trade for both Simmonds and Karlsson even as cheap rentals. I mean we might but we'd be back almost to the starting block at the farm and need another 2-3 years to stock up again. At this point it's better to let the season take its course and acquire Karlsson via UFA. We can prove we are the preferred destination, we can prove he wants to come here and we can prove that a few cap moves and we can fit him in.

Wait it out and pull strings during the season i.e Callahan back to NYR as not part of a Karlsson deal. A homecoming would actually benefit both player and organization

Yea we wouldnt be able to swing both deals. My thought was go for Simmonds as a rental in the event that we dont get Karlsson. Dont re-sign Simmonds unless we cant get Karlsson in FA next year. I would be down with that plan.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Yea we wouldnt be able to swing both deals. My thought was go for Simmonds as a rental in the event that we dont get Karlsson. Dont re-sign Simmonds unless we cant get Karlsson in FA next year. I would be down with that plan.
How are we supposed to resign Simmonds who becomes UFA if we miss on Karlsson? Logistically it doesn't work.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why do we need Simmonds? He's a RW, we have Kucherov, Johnson and Gourde on the right and they all produced more. On the left only Palat scored less but he missed a bunch of games. Simmonds has had his scoring decline the past two seasons and he's getting older with some injury risks. He's consistently a minus player and gets most of his points on the PP but with us he would be a 2nd unit guy only. The cost to acquire is to high for someone who doesn't make any sense for us unless they're taking Callahan back to make it work capwise.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Why do we need Simmonds? He's a RW, we have Kucherov, Johnson and Gourde on the right and they all produced more. On the left only Palat scored less but he missed a bunch of games. Simmonds has had his scoring decline the past two seasons and he's getting older with some injury risks. He's consistently a minus player and gets most of his points on the PP but with us he would be a 2nd unit guy only. The cost to acquire is to high for someone who doesn't make any sense for us unless they're taking Callahan back to make it work capwise.
We don't necessarily need Simmonds but we need a player like him.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Not to mention we couldn’t afford to resign him without it costing us a better player (unless Killorn agreed to a trade, and even then we would have better use for that cap space.)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We don't necessarily need Simmonds but we need a player like him.

I don't think we do. He doesn't really fit our style of a speed game. It would be nice to add a bit more physical play but he's not an big upgrade over our current top 9 wings. He also hasn't scored a playoff goal in 4 years and has 1 non PP goal in the past three times he was in the playoffs. So he's not even an upgrade in that department.

Reactions: Hoek

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
He has done a lot of heavy lifting over the years and I think his agent knows how to sell that. I wouldn't expect him to take a paycut, but you never know. I do worry about his declining scoring numbers and shooting percentage though, but even a purely defensive Stralman at the end of his career will likely be a very, very good defender.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He has done a lot of heavy lifting over the years and I think his agent knows how to sell that. I wouldn't expect him to take a paycut, but you never know. I do worry about his declining scoring numbers and shooting percentage though, but even a purely defensive Stralman at the end of his career will likely be a very, very good defender.

The most you could do with Stralman is 2 x 5. If you give him anymore you're in trouble. I looked at a lot of defenders who were signed in the 31-34 age range and a lot of them were bought out by the end of their deal. Orpik, Martin, Seidenberg, Greene. You may say those are some terrible names and nothing like Stralman but those guys all were defensive first guys with little offense which is where Stralman is trending. They were all cup winners too which is why they got the deals they did so if Stralman wins us a cup he can get 3 years.

The one comparison in his favor is Hjalmarsson. Another low scoring defensive first guy who's getting a raise on his next deal which starts when he's 32. But it's just for 2 years and with Arizona who isn't anywhere near the cap so can splash a few extra k to keep a guy around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad