Speculation: 2018 Off-Season: We fell short again, now what do we do? Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Team was scheduled to be on the ice yesterday? Anybody get a look or was it not open to the public?

Would love to hear some first impressions. Who looks different and whatnot.

As long as they're in Brandon, it's open to the public. Am typing up my impressions right now as I caught part of Saturday and a good bit of today's TC. :D

Will post it in the Training Camp thread.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As long as they're in Brandon, it's open to the public. Am typing up my impressions right now as I caught part of Saturday and a good bit of today's TC. :D

Will post it in the Training Camp thread.

Excellent! Those of us nowhere near TB thank you.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
This I think is the year we have to win the cup it’s truly now or probably never or at least not for a long time. Next offseason we have like 14 million in cap space with only 12 players signed and point is going to get 4-5 million of that on a bridge deal contract. Then the year after we probably have to at least double vasy’s cap hit. Yes we will probably pawn Callahan off to another team but then we lose more draft picks and probably a decent prospect to get a team to take on Callahan for his last season like we did with Garrison to Vegas. What has me worried is after this season we only got three defenseman signed sergachev, hedman and mcdonagh. Do we resign stralman now or wait and see what karlsson is going to do next July ?
I dunno we all said the same about the Caps in years past. “Windows closing” can be managed.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Palat - Stamkos - Kuch
Miller - Point - Joseph
Erne - Johnson - Gourde
Killorn - Cirelli - Conacher

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Palat - Stamkos - Kuch
Miller - Point - Joseph
Erne - Johnson - Gourde
Killorn - Cirelli - Conacher

I would separate Point and Joseph, simply because they're both so good at zone entries. So I'd go with something like:

Miller - Stamkos - Kucherov (until Miller fizzles out)
Palat - Point - Gourde (PPG line)
Erne - Johnson - Joseph
Killorn - Cirelli - X (Still not sure Conacher makes the team.)

Wouldn't mind reuniting Joseph - Johnson - Gourde (from Game #1) either. They looked pretty dangerous, and their skillsets complement each other nicely.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
I would separate Point and Joseph, simply because they're both so good at zone entries. So I'd go with something like:

Erne - Johnson - Joseph

Wouldn't mind reuniting Joseph - Johnson - Gourde (from Game #1) either. They looked pretty dangerous, and their skillsets complement each other nicely.

How many games this season do you think Johnson plays 3C - vs- 2W?
I thought he dragged azz during the regular season at 3C, then came back to life in a top 6 wing role... for a while.
Either way, its a long season, my money is on him going back and forth throughout the year. (ends up around 25 - 25+ = 50+)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How many games this season do you think Johnson plays 3C - vs- 2W?
I thought he dragged azz during the regular season at 3C, then came back to life in a top 6 wing role... for a while.
Either way, its a long season, my money is on him going back and forth throughout the year. (ends up around 25 - 25+ = 50+)

I think that was more because Johnson and Killorn have likely the worst chemistry on the team. Keep those two apart and we should be fine. But we'll mix lines up multiple times anyway.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Erne - Johnson - Joseph

You're missing Paquette, I doubt Cooper sits him even if he "should" at times, that's one less spot for a rookie. The reason Conacher stays up is because he contributes AND you can afford to sit him while he splits time with a rookie whereas splitting 2 rookies doesn't make sense, one should go get full time minutes in the AHL.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I think that was more because Johnson and Killorn have likely the worst chemistry on the team. Keep those two apart and we should be fine. But we'll mix lines up multiple times anyway.
They've had decent chemistry in the past (2016 playoffs) , not so much last year, but both were in a smaller role then usual with less ice time when they were together, which is a big factor. I'd still rather Killorn in that third line spot over Erne, who's barely shown any offence at this level at all.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not a fan of splitting up depth for the sake of it, the team will be carried by the top-2 lines anyways so weakening those for marginal increase in depth won't help. Johnson has regressed as a center unless placed in the perfect situation with perfect linemates, his effectiveness as a winger to Point was significantly higher. Gourde and Cirelli looked better as a center than Johnson did last year. Load up the top-6 as they should be and let the talent on the bottom 6 figure themselves out. I don't have faith Erne's offensive game picks up out of nowhere and he'll actually bring down the 3rd line if placed there.

Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Johnson
Killorn-Gourde-Conacher/Cirelli (no one remembers how strong this line was when together?)
Erne-Paquette-Joseph

Concaher/Joseph/Erne split as the 13th
Gourde and Cirelli can be either C or RW on that 3rd line

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Not a fan of splitting up depth for the sake of it, the team will be carried by the top-2 lines anyways so weakening those for marginal increase in depth won't help. Johnson has regressed as a center unless placed in the perfect situation with perfect linemates, his effectiveness as a winger to Point was significantly higher. Gourde and Cirelli looked better as a center than Johnson did last year. Load up the top-6 as they should be and let the talent on the bottom 6 figure themselves out. I don't have faith Erne's offensive game picks up out of nowhere and he'll actually bring down the 3rd line if placed there.

Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov
Palat-Point-Johnson
Killorn-Gourde-Conacher/Cirelli (no one remembers how strong this line was when together?)
Erne-Paquette-Joseph

Concaher/Joseph/Erne split as the 13th
Gourde and Cirelli can be either C or RW on that 3rd line

Can't argue with those top two lines

I thought Gourde struggled as a center, is much more efficient as a winger when he can basically kamikaze in and around the net and skimp on his defensive responsibilities.

No way I move Cirelli away from center. It's difficult to find centers who make the players around them better and Cirelli definitely fits that mold, probably the second best pure center we have after Point if we want to get technical.

Killorn-Cirelli-Gourde
Erne-Paquette-Joseph

Reactions: JDBolt

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Sorry that they're behind a paywall but there's a couple of excellent looks at the TBL defense in the Athletic right now.

How should the Lightning's defensive pairs look this season?
Top notch analysis of our blueline from someone who is looking at them from an outsider's perspective. Even includes a look at Cernak.

Will Mikhail Sergachev play in the top four? 'I feel like...
By Joe Smith - Nice look at the possible partners/deployment of Sergachev with some cool words about him from all his partners this last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad