2018 off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I think we all should be able to agree that we have enough cap space for a big acquisition like Tavares OR Karlsson. It's not that hard to go to capfriendly.com and look at the situation.

Philadelphia Flyers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I don't think Tavares AND Karlsson is a good idea though.

What i find particularly interesting is how many amazing players you can afford on a team. Someone posted a calculator of salaries with Tavares and EK and it seemed at least sorta do-able. I don't think both of them is a good idea though. What it does stress to me is that you shouldn't be spending any real money on marginal players (MacDonald, Lehteras, Weise and etc.) Use the draft to ensure you have cheap marginal talent, keep your high end players and move guys who want too much money once a contract is up.

Hextall has done a good job of freeing himself from bad contracts for the most part but he's really got to not take any dead weight back in any trades at this point unless it was like an EK and Ryan deal where he ships out Ryan or something.

Reactions: Rebels57

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I think we all should be able to agree that we have enough cap space for a big acquisition like Tavares OR Karlsson. It's not that hard to go to capfriendly.com and look at the situation.

Agreed.

Deadhead is the only one flat out ignoring the cap space and rambling on potential cap issues in two or three years if they sign anyone. Some just simply dont want to spend and want to be the coyotes for some reason.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

I agree pretty heavily on this. I think one or the other is the answer, but not both. We end up with a lot of big contracts doing it that way.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I can't even watch his pressers anymore. It's an excercise in futility.
Cliff notes:

Shouldnt sing JT because he will start declining around 31 and only be a 2nd line center.

Karlsson wouldnt help the PP at all since we have Ghost so there is no poiny in trading dor him.

We dont have the cap to sign big free agents because we will have trouble signing our own rfas in 2021 and beyond.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Cliff notes:

Shouldnt sing JT because he will start declining around 31 and only be a 2nd line center.

Karlsson wouldnt help the PP at all since we have Ghost so there is no poiny in trading dor him.

We dont have the cap to sign big free agents because we will have trouble signing our own rfas in 2021 and beyond.
:dunce:

Better to re-sign Simmonds who is a 3rd liner than sign a premier player like JT. I'd rather overpay for a second line center at 31 than a 3/4th line winger at 32.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
.... seriously that presser was garbage, no quality information whatsoever, the best part were the comments haha

If people's comments/cliff notes are accurate it doesn't seem like we heard much of anything. It does trouble me that Hextall has cash available and there are some high quality assets out there and he isn't very interested in seeing whats out there.

Reactions: kelmitchell

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
If people's comments/cliff notes are accurate it doesn't seem like we heard much of anything. It does trouble me that Hextall has cash available and there are some high quality assets out there and he isn't very interested in seeing whats out there.
Yeah that was a bit concerning, but then again he probably doesnt want to tell people "oh i like this guy and im going after him" because then the price goes up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad