2018 off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Yeah that was a bit concerning, but then again he probably doesnt want to tell people "oh i like this guy and im going after him" because then the price goes up
He does the same thing when talking about draft picks every year, he's not gonna come out and say they are going to try and trade a pick

Reactions: kelmitchell

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Hextall is the mirror opposite of Bob Clarke. Under Clarke, everyone knew what was gonna happen before it happened.

Reactions: Tripod

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Yeah that was a bit concerning, but then again he probably doesnt want to tell people "oh i like this guy and im going after him" because then the price goes up

I hope he's playing his cards close to his chest but I don't think Hextall does a good job of articulating that then. He could say "we've got a lot of cap space available, we're going to look at our options and see what is available". I don't think Hextall is as cryptic is people make him out to be, I think sometimes he's being totally serious about his decision making. I'd like to be wrong in this instance though. JT, Statsny, Karlsson are all names I wouldn't mind seeing on the Flyers next year.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Raises:

Provorov - 7,000,000
Patrick - 5,000,000 -to- 7,000,000 depending on his progression
Konecny - 5,000,000 -to- 6,000,000
Sanheim - He's not even a legit NHL'er yet, so I'm not worried about his contract after next atm
Lindblom - He's not a legit NHL'er yet and may never be, so I'm not worried about his contract after next atm
Myers - He's not even a legit NHL'er yet and may never be, so I'm not worried about his contract after next atm

All of those are fair value and not factoring in Hextall's uncanny ability to get players to take a little bit less.

If Sanheim, Lindblom, and/or Myers become legit contributors, the money will still be there to sign them. There's no telling what vets are even on the team 5-years from now. For all we know Voracek could be long gone and traded; same with Simmonds

When's the last time a UFA the quality of Tavares hit the open market? Kovalchuk in 2010? It's silly to me that we should not at least try for JT all because Travis Sanheim or Oscar Lindblom or Wade Allison may or may not be a player in 2021
I don't think it's a matter of if Hextall will try to get Tavares , but so will 20 other teams and in free agency someone will always overpay . Vegas Montreal Calgary Toronto LA Detroit SJ Vancouver Rangers Philly Colorado Buffalo and there is more will be interested and have plenty of cap room and can afford it. On top of that NYI are the front runner with Lou now in charge.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
He's not going to come out and talk about his free agent plans.

There's a difference between talking about your plans and saying "we shouldn't do this because of X, and we shouldn't do this because of Y". I'm not criticizing Hextall for not saying "we're gonna go get EK or Tavares", I'm saying I think he overvalues marginal players like MacDonald and Simmonds and won't have the moxie to make a big move.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Comments are being deleted like crazy lol this thread got wild

Yep. You Philly Boys, Flyers Fans... really know how to throw a party, eat your own.... Love it... one of my ex's born & raised in PA just outside the city... spent lots of time in the area.... finestkind.... keep swingin... just lighten up on each other will ya... fun as it may be.... sites Moderated as you all well know. ;)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Yep. You Philly Boys, Flyers Fans... really know how to throw a party, eat your own.... Love it... one of my ex's born & raised in PA just outside the city... spent lots of time in the area.... finestkind.... keep swingin... just lighten up on each other will ya... fun as it may be.... sites Moderated as you all well know. ;)

One drunken and overzealous moron in a sea of thousands ate a horse turd on a bet after the Eagles won the Superbowl. Let's not act like this is a Philly tradition. I don't want to be associated with that. In my 32 years living in Philly, i've never heard of anything remotely like that happening.

Totally agree about the tone of this thread needing to become way less toxic though!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
One drunken and overzealous moron in a sea of thousands ate a horse turd on a bet after the Eagles won the Superbowl. Let's not act like this is a Philly tradition. I don't want to be associated with that. In my 32 years living in Philly, i've never heard of anything remotely like that happening.

Totally agree about the tone of this thread needing to become way less toxic though!

Guess you didnt or dont travel in the same circles I did & it not a criticism, human nature everywhere. Me, I got tonnes of respect for the city of Philadelphia & its people, Flyer organization, its fans. Lots of friends down there. Great sense of hee haw, bright, astute..... Never mind NY. If you can make it in Philly you can make it anywhere.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
What surprises me is that Nylanders name isn’t out there. Marner and Matthews both supposedly are going to sign a big deal. Add in that Toronto reportedly is interested in Tavares and Carlson.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he is dangled honestly.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
What surprises me is that Nylanders name isn’t out there. Marner and Matthews both supposedly are going to sign a big deal. Add in that Toronto reportedly is interested in Tavares and Carlson.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he is dangled honestly.

They won't make him available because teams don't often trade 22 year olds that are 60+ point players.

If they have a cap crunch they will trade away other assets.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Unsurprisingly, Hextall has no intentions of acquiring an impact player. Time to put that Tavares, Carlson, or Karlsson conversations to bed and slide back into our corner of the sandbox; the bargain bin.

Reactions: kelmitchell

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Only thing we are gonna be in on is another Dale Weise type player on the Decline...

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
They won't make him available because teams don't often trade 22 year olds that are 60+ point players.

If they have a cap crunch they will trade away other assets.
If they sign Tavares/Carlson they will have 3 8+ million long term deals and then another waiting to happen. Three 8+ I can see but 4 is where might get a little tight.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

Lmao I went to high school with him. That wasn’t a bet.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I get Hextalls hesitation to sign 7 year deals, even if I think Tavares should be an exception to that, I still get it. What I dont get is why he wouldnt be in on Kovy...that seems like the perfect player to go after. Fills a need and they prob could get him on a 2 year deal.
Im dreading another shit player being added.

I also hope this means he has a max year in mind for Simmonds...like 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->