2018 off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They also signed Keith, Toews and Kane to sweet deals, while we have already committed a good chunk of $ to G and V

Sweet deals?

That Toews contract is one of the worst in the NHL.

Keith contract is good.

Seabrook probably is THEE worst contract.

Bowman did a horrendous job with almost all of the extensions he handed out.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Depth players.

We’d have a more than fine top 6 but our depth would likely be hot garbage. I’ve stated time and time again I wouldn’t commit 10+mil to Jt long term.

Isnt that why we are building up a prospect pipeline? To rotate good young talent through while they are on ELCs to provide depth?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Sweet deals?

That Toews contract is one of the worst in the NHL.

Keith contract is good.

Seabrook probably is THEE worst contract.

Bowman did a horrendous job with almost all of the extensions he handed out.

That is Toews and Kane's second deals. They both signed 5 year deals when they won those cups

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
That’s with the cap at 80 million and overpaying for Laughton, Hagg, and a back up goalie. And Tavares and EK both at 11 million. Looks like solid depth to me.

Attachments

• 9D39F694-95D1-49D3-AC14-E2BC4B95DDCC.png
    9D39F694-95D1-49D3-AC14-E2BC4B95DDCC.png
    508.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 17C9613F-E605-4E96-B423-BAEC2B85184E.png
    17C9613F-E605-4E96-B423-BAEC2B85184E.png
    502.1 KB · Views: 10

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
In my scenario, It’ll be easier in a year, I’m dumping MacDonald, Weise, and Gudas.

MacDonald and Gudas are already up for 2020-21. I factored that in, although I edited my comment to reflect it after you had taken the quote. I should have included it originally, so my bad on that.

Weise gives you 2.35, which is certainly nice, but not transformative. Are you going into next year with Elliott and Neuvirth after you committed 150MM to two premiere assets? Or are you trading assets for a Goalie after you already subtracted the Karlsson assets plus the ones you paid to dump MacDonald and Weise?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
So do I, but it's hard to argue we aren't an attractive location while simultaneously being able to A) Pay him what he wants and B) Trade assets OTT will want.

It's like being a 76ers fan waiting to see if LeBron signs with them -- it may not be happening, but it's hard to argue they aren't a great fit.

It’s tough to really compare situations because the league dynamics are so different. Majority of the NHL will be after Karlsson while realistically a very small number of teams will be after Lebron with the Sixers being one of them.

The Flyers have resources but do they have the will? Another team might not have the resources compared to the Flyers but have just enough to go along with a strong will to make something happen. They very well could offer a quicker chance to contend as well.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
MacDonald and Gudas are already up for 2020-21. I factored that in, although I edited my comment to reflect it after you had taken the quote.

Weise gives you 2.35, which is certainly nice. Are you going into next year with Elliott and Neuvirth after you committed 150MM to two premiere assets? Or are you trading assets for a Goalie after you already subtracted the Karlsson assets plus the ones you paid to dump MacDonald and Weise?

They’d have one year left on their contracts. You might not even have to give anything more than a 6th or 7th. And yeah, I’d look for a minor upgrade in goal or wait for Hart. That’s a team that will contend for 5+ years, not one.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
That’s for 2019-2020.

Rebel had a good point. Why have they spent all this time acquiring prospects?

I see your projections, and you are correct, that would be a great team and perhaps win a cup or 2, but I doubt Hexy is being that shortsighted

Provy's market value should be more in the Ekblad/Hedman/OEL range.

So how long is the realistic window for a team paying their top 2 dmen 18mil +

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
My edit never went through. I highly doubt by that point, Lindblom is a foresure fire first liner, I highly doubt issac will be ready for second line minutes then as well.

That entire scenario is just extremely optimistic. Almost completely unreasonable.

You can change the lines however you want. That’s a team with a ton of depth. Do you think Frost will be ready by then? Put him as the 3rd line center with Lindblom on his wing and move Tavares to the wing with Patrick.

Again, Ratcliffe could be changed with a cheap UFA or Raffl who I didn’t include.

First it was impossible and there wasn’t any depth, now you’re saying it won’t work because the 4th line winger won’t be ready.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Rebel had a good point. Why have they spent all this time acquiring prospects?

I see your projections, and you are correct, that would be a great team and perhaps win a cup or 2, but I doubt Hexy is being that shortsighted

Provy's market value should be more in the Ekblad/Hedman/OEL range.

So how long is the realistic window for a team paying their top 2 dmen 18mil +

Provorov isn’t getting 8 million. He won’t break 7. It’s not short sighted either, that team wouldn’t have to be reconstructed until 2022-2023.

Also, the cap should be above 80 million, and there’s an extra 3-4 million that I tacked onto Hagg, Laughton, and Elliott. On top of EK/Tavares probably getting less than 11 per.

You can call it unrealistic, but don’t say it’s not doable.

Last edited:

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
You can change the lines however you want. That’s a team with a ton of depth. Do you think Frost will be ready by then? Put him as the 3rd line center with Lindblom on his wing and move Tavares to the wing with Patrick.

Again, Ratcliffe could be changed with a cheap UFA or Raffl who I didn’t include.

First it was impossible and there wasn’t any depth, now you’re saying it won’t work because the 4th line winger won’t be ready.

Who’s to say Jt will be effective as a winger?

I understand the impatience and everyone wanting us to go for it now, but I don’t believe this is the offseason to do it.

I think we should ship Simmonds out at the draft and I’d be perfectly fine moving gudas out at the draft as well.

Going into next season. I’m fine with ...

Giroux / Couturier / TK
Lindblom / Patrick / Voracek
Laughton / FA or Simmonds piece or frost if he is deemed ready / FA or Simmonds piece
Weise / MV / Mikhail / Leier / whoever else they want to try

Ghost / Ivan
Sanheim / FA or trade
Hagg / Farmer (let’s face it. They’re here to stay)

Then our goalies unless hart blows everyone out of the world.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Provorov isn’t getting 8 million. He won’t break 7. It’s not short sighted either, that team wouldn’t have to be reconstructed until 2022-2023.

Also, the cap should be above 80 million, and there’s an extra 3-4 million that I tacked onto Hagg, Laughton, and Elliott.

I think we will have to pay more to keep Ivan on the longest possible deal. I think 8 might be very possible.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

He plays Ekblad minutes and lead the NHL in dman goals, without much PP time. If Hexy is gonna sign him for 8 years, which should be an absolute given, I would expect nothing less

Reactions: SnS

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Who’s to say Jt will be effective as a winger?

I understand the impatience and everyone wanting us to go for it now, but I don’t believe this is the offseason to do it.

I think we should ship Simmonds out at the draft and I’d be perfectly fine moving gudas out at the draft as well.

Going into next season. I’m fine with ...

Giroux / Couturier / TK
Lindblom / Patrick / Voracek
Laughton / FA or Simmonds piece or frost if he is deemed ready / FA or Simmonds piece
Weise / MV / Mikhail / Leier / whoever else they want to try

Ghost / Ivan
Sanheim / FA or trade
Hagg / Farmer (let’s face it. They’re here to stay)

Then our goalies unless hart blows everyone out of the world.

Lmao he doesn’t have to play wing, it’s an option. But he was an effective winger for Team Canada.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Is no one else afraid EK might be a prime candidate to breakdown physically? He is a small framed guy and will be 29 when the new contract starts. I'm not an expert on his injury history, but he definitely had that horrible ankle injury where they removed a large portion of his bone.

I'm no doctor but giving a player of that profile an 11 million dollar contract for 8 years sounds scary. Maybe a doctor would say otherwise and he profiles out fine. I don't know.

But when you have to give up the primetime assets and names that are getting thrown around here I get pretty nervous. My intuition tells me it's not worth the risk. Giving up Ghost or Sanheim + 1st round picks is no joke.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Small sample size. I wouldn’t pay 10+ mil on a long term deal for someone who might be effective.

Just not my idea of spending smart.

Okay then you roll Tavares, Couturier, and Patrick at center...

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
That’s with the cap at 80 million and overpaying for Laughton, Hagg, and a back up goalie. And Tavares and EK both at 11 million. Looks like solid depth to me.

Ok, so you're moving Sanheim. That helps the crunch a bit.

But like I said, you can make it work for 2019-20. 2020-21 is where you have problems. You've taken the expiring dead weight that would help offset the Patrick/Myers/Lindblom raises. You do have room to play with, but enough?

I also have a lot of issues with that putting that much on Myers right now, but I know I'm going to be largely alone. Minus him, you basically have 3 excellent Defensemen and 3 guys who might not even be NHLers in an ideal world with nothing left behind them. ELC cycling is going to be a must if you add multiple huge salaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad