2018 off-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’ve stated before I think Hextall believes in Elliott. I think they have to move Nuevy and will try to upgrade.

Kevin Weekes is usually in the know and he in air talked about Hutton and Bernier.

Trading for Karlsson doesn’t stop you from upgrading the goalie situation. They generally don’t cost as much to upgrade either. We still have cap space as well to make a move if we trade for him.
There's no reason to believe Hextall sees Elliott as anything more than the bandaid he was signed to be. I'm sure he isn't expecting Elliott to be here in a year where we actually look competitive for the cup.

And trading for Karlsson doesn't stop it, but it absolutely limits your options.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Vegas almost had him for cheaper
Almost and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee. Ottawa wanted more than they were willing to offer and they didn't get him so it's completely irrelevant. More teams will be willing to get involved and make a huge trade in the summer than at the deadline which should only result in more of a bidding war taking place for Karlsson and this raising the price.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
If the flyers get him I think the chances of him leaving are about .01%

But at what cost
Well, is his trade value effected by requesting a trade, or IF he says trade me or sit? Two different things completely. To my knowledge he hasn't said that so until/if he were to say that (which is highly unlikely) it's irrelevant.

It's Erik Karlsson we are talking about. Nobody is getting him for even 90 cents on the dollar.

I agree with that, we will have to wait and see what actually happens but I would be shocked if he weren't traded for 3 or 4 significant pieces.

I'll just address the last part of the post since the first 2 are us going round and round infinitely:

I think Karlsson will indeed get traded for 3 significant pieces. In the main board, I supported your proposal of 2018 1st, 2019 1st and Sanheim (I think -- maybe Myers) for him. You included Frost, but I said that's where I draw the line personally since I think that's too much value.

So yes: I'm totally on board for 3 big valued items. That last piece, to me, has to be a lesser prospect, player or pick (like a NAK, Gudas, Raffl, Weal, 2nd, etc.)

So all-in-all, we generally agree it seems but you're willing to give up a little more than I am.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Preface this that i'm a huge G fan and likely wouldn't support this trade offer but would you...

Trade Giroux (or Voracek if that's who they prefer) and Macdonald
for
Ryan (Ottawa takes $2 million in cap) and Karlsson

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
But at what cost

I'll just address the last part of the post since the first 2 are us going round and round infinitely:

I think Karlsson will indeed get traded for 3 significant pieces. In the main board, I supported your proposal of 2018 1st, 2019 1st and Sanheim (I think -- maybe Myers) for him. You included Frost, but I said that's where I draw the line personally since I think that's too much value.

So yes: I'm totally on board for 3 big valued items. That last piece, to me, has to be a lesser prospect, player or pick (like a NAK, Gudas, Raffl, Weal, 2nd, etc.)

So all-in-all, we generally agree it seems but you're willing to give up a little more than I am.
Fair enough.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If it is a true overpay and bidding war I sure in the f*** hope Hexy bows out

What happens when you get tunnel vision is trading Hall for Larsson or trading Sergachev for Drouin

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Forget valuation. That's one of the last steps. Step 1 is, "Are the Flyers in a position to outbid the league for 1 year of a top player?" I don't see it, but I understand others might.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Vegas almost had him for cheaper

It’s hard to say because despite some reports, we don’t know what that offer truly was. I don’t think anyone can offer up a combo of Sanheim/Myers+14 though, which should go along way if Hextall wants him.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Preface this that i'm a huge G fan and likely wouldn't support this trade offer but would you...

Trade Giroux (or Voracek if that's who they prefer) and Macdonald
for
Ryan (Ottawa takes $2 million in cap) and Karlsson
No. Not trading Giroux or Voracek and short of Ottawa giving us Karlsson to take on Ryan's contract I would pass. I want ZERO parts of that contract which might be the worst in the league.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
It’s hard to say because despite some reports, we don’t know what that offer truly was. I don’t think anyone can offer up a combo of Sanheim/Myers+14 though, which should go along way if Hextall wants him.
That's a good point as well. It was a rumor which doesn't mean it was 100% fact.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
But at what cost

Perhaps adding Frost with the two firsts and Sanheim is a bit too much. I would definitely do Sanheim, two firsts, and a decent forward prospect like Ratcliffe, Allison, Rubtsov, etc.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

I wouldn't give up 2 quality prospect dmen. That would be an overpay imo

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Forget valuation. That's one of the last steps. Step 1 is, "Are the Flyers in a position to outbid the league for 1 year of a top player?" I don't see it, but I understand others might.

You don’t make this deal with the assumption that it’s for 1 year. To answer your question, this is the reason Hextall’s been building assets for 4 years.

The Kings traded for Richards and Carter within 8 months of each other. We’ll be trading for Karlsson and somebody else. Outside of Hart, everything else is pretty much ready to go now or within the next year.

Reactions: The Madrigal

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Perhaps adding Frost with the two firsts and Sanheim is a bit too much. I would definitely do Sanheim, two firsts, and a decent forward prospect like Ratcliffe, Allison, Rubtsov, etc.

I'd be down for that deal for sure.

Even though the injury of the past worries me a little bit, I'm feeling confident EK is going to be at the very least "good" until age 35. Will be worth the contract.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
You don’t make this deal with the assumption that it’s for 1 year. To answer your question, this is the reason Hextall’s been building assets for 4 years.

The Kings traded for Richards and Carter within 8 months of each other. We’ll be trading for Karlsson and somebody else. Outside of Hart, everything else is pretty much ready to go now or within the next year.
Great post. You are correct, there has to be at least some level of dialogue between Hextall and Karlsson's agent to suggest that Karlsson would have serious interest in re-signing with the team.

Also, you make a great point in this post. This is exactly why you build up a great pool of prospects/young players, and draft picks. It's not just about filling out a lineup full of prospects like Deadhead tells everyone every day. It's about having the assets so that if a true elite player like Karlsson who is in his prime is available you have the ammunition to be players in a trade to land him. People can say the team is two years away, or two years away from two years away etc etc. If the Flyers were to land Erik Karlsson they will instantly jump levels and be a legitimate playoff team as opposed to a fringe playoff team who can't win a single round.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
And before anyone freaks out and says it won’t fit, they could realistically take on Karlsson and Tavares for the next 7 years with a few easy moves next offseason.

Reactions: The Madrigal

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I also want nothing to do with Bobby Ryan. If he was signed for 2 years, sure. He has 4 years left on that deal.

Meh. If that's what it took to save a good prospect, then I would do it

Ryans good enough to play for a year or 2 within a hugely talented roster. Hexy has also shown he is very capable of managing the cap and shredding contracts

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If the flyers get him I think the chances of him leaving are about .01%

That's wishful thinking, unless it's a sign and trade deal you have no guarantees, Flyers aren't the elite franchise they were a decade ago.
And Philadelphia isn't the number one destinations of someone looking to live on $50M after taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad