Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #2

Player most likely to end up on another team before preseason?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
If Leafs sign Tavares I'm not sure they can sign Nylander

Don’t think they’d flip a winger when they sign a 1C. You either get Mathews or Tavares, you can’t have both ya greedy bastards!

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Don’t think they’d flip a winger when they sign a 1C. You either get Mathews or Tavares, you can’t have both ya greedy bastards!
Mathews is getting $11-$12M. Marner wants $9 will likely get $7/8M. Tavares is getting $11/$12M. How much do u give Nylander when you need to overhaul your D?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Marner and Matthews are the 'problem' right now by not wanting to talk extension. The Toronto media will do all the dirty work for the Coyotes the longer this goes on.
Babcock is all about Babcock. He and Mathews are not seeing eye to eye. There's enough smoke here to pay attention to.

Reactions: Heldig

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Mathews is getting $11-$12M. Marner wants $9 will likely get $7/8M. Tavares is getting $11/$12M. How much do u give Nylander when you need to overhaul your D?
With that forward group I think you have to stay with a lesser D until Marleau is gone in two seasons unless you trade either Kadri or Nylander for D help. Solidify the D, strong at center and cheap on the wing for the most part.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona

More of a process of elimination. Tavares is a bonafide 1c, still young and a home town kid. I’d imagine they try and sign Nylander as cheap as possible and look to trade Mathews. I sure as hell hope so, anyway haha.

2019 1st
Any prospect we have (Hayton, POJ, Strome) ect
And any roster player not named Keller or Ekman Larsson.

Reactions: doaner

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
More of a process of elimination. Tavares is a bonafide 1c, still young and a home town kid. I’d imagine they try and sign Nylander as cheap as possible and look to trade Mathews. I sure as hell hope so, anyway haha.

2019 1st
I don't see any way the Coyote's get Matthews without OEL plus plenty going the other way.

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
2019 1st

Hayton has like, 4x the value of Strome, so that's a pretty wide range. Can't trade guys like Hjalmarsson after extending them, just a bad look.

I would try to get Marner in the deal as well, try to keep Dvorak out. Pick Domi back up after Montreal inevitably misplays him and he becomes dirt cheap.

At a minimum you'd have to put 2 naked 1st round picks on the table, plus several of the best prospects, and some appealing roster players. Just put so much raw value on the table that Toronto can take it and use it to go acquire better roster players or just keep it all.

I don't see any way the Coyote's get Matthews without OEL plus plenty going the other way.

I do. All it takes is one tweet from an insider.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Hayton has like, 4x the value of Strome, so that's a pretty wide range. Can't trade guys like Hjalmarsson after extending them, just a bad look.

I would try to get Marner in the deal as well, try to keep Dvorak out. Pick Domi back up after Montreal inevitably misplays him and he becomes dirt cheap.

At a minimum you'd have to put 2 naked 1st round picks on the table, plus several of the best prospects, and some appealing roster players. Just put so much raw value on the table that Toronto can take it and use it to go acquire better roster players or just keep it all.

Lay it out there then. What’re you adding to two unprotected firsts?

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Marner and Matthews are the 'problem' right now by not wanting to talk extension. The Toronto media will do all the dirty work for the Coyotes the longer this goes on.

I'll happily take both.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

Are we playing Let's be silly tonight??

Reactions: Mosby

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Are we playing Let's be silly tonight??

Nope. 1 Bob McKenzie tweet is all it takes "Auston Matthews has let it be known he won't sign/he'd welcome a trade, Arizona remains his preferred destination"

Blam, a good chunk of his paper trade value obliterated. The Coyotes can then put the value equivalent of 4 1sts in usable assets on the table and see if the Leafs take it.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I think JT is only using Toronto as leverage and will sign back with the Islanders.
Toronto arguably is a top three offense team in the NHL. Tavares just adds to it. He could sign for a hometown discount and make up for it easily in endorsements in that market. Better odds of hoisting the cup, going home, and his long term girlfriend lives in Toronto.
I think Toronto is more than leverage.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I think it costs one of OEL or Keller as a base unless something insane happens.

Players of Matthews ilk only get traded if they are on their way out of town or are chased out. It's rarely a 1 for 1 swap with an equivalent tier player. It's usually a very nice basket of usable value.

Reactions: Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Players of Matthews ilk only get traded if they are on their way out of town or are chased out. It's rarely a 1 for 1 swap with an equivalent tier player. It's usually a very nice basket of usable value.

Just like Seguin. Hayton/Dvo + POJ + 19 1st?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Has a player in Matthews situation been moved though? He's a super young proven franchise center. Even if he demands a trade and prefers to come here, it's not like Toronto has to trade him here, we'd likely have to win an insane bidding war. I'd love to be wrong, but I think Toronto could do better than a basket style offer if they decide to move him.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Has a player in Matthews situation been moved though? He's a super young proven franchise center. Even if he demands a trade and prefers to come here, it's not like Toronto has to trade him here, we'd likely have to win an insane bidding war. I'd love to be wrong, but I think Toronto could do better than a basket style offer if they decide to move him.

Seguin is probably the closest in recent memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad