Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #2

Player most likely to end up on another team before preseason?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Diet isn’t specialized enough. Shows lack of discipline. Barrett Hayton doesn’t eat anything that casts a shadow.
Diet does make a difference short term and long term, just saying:)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Zero chance. Start with OEL and add on and that is only on the very slim chance the Leafs sign Tavares.
Are you sure? Matthews will be gone as soon as he is able, from the looks of things. Toronto is in real need of defensemen. They won't be picking in the top 15 in the foreseeable future. With POJ and Chychrun they have 2 defensmen picked in the 1st round with very high potential. Whatever they want in a trade, if they want to get Matthews out of the East for good, Toronto has to know that OEL won't be on the block.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Are you sure? Matthews will be gone as soon as he is able, from the looks of things. Toronto is in real need of defensemen. They won't be picking in the top 15 in the foreseeable future. With POJ and Chychrun they have 2 defensmen picked in the 1st round with very high potential. Whatever they want in a trade, if they want to get Matthews out of the East for good, Toronto has to know that OEL won't be on the block.
The Leafs hold all the cards for 6 more years, yes I'm sure you won't be getting Matthews for picks and a couple meddling prospects.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Noticed the Hockey Guy places Coyotes at 19 in his off-season power rankings.

I find his rankings a bit to bound by the end-results of the season this time, as with Vegas still at 2nd, I think they will be weaker this year. Well.

But still, 19 for the Yotes are decent, I like the higher position.

(Don't skip totally to the end, he mixes it up a bit as a little joke there. )

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Personally I would include OEL in a trade for Matthews but I just don't see the Coyotes ever doing that.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Personally I would include OEL in a trade for Matthews but I just don't see the Coyotes ever doing that.
If Matthews was offered and OEL was a required part of the return the Coyotes should be all over that. Matthews is the real deal and it's very hard to win without a star center, it's much easier to have a defence by committee.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
You guys are all forgetting one thing... John Chayka is our GM.

He's not going to pursue Matthews. Period.

Good. They will not let Matthews go for less than something that will break the Coyotes back totally. I mean, you noticed the Duchene-trade and how bad Ottawa looks now?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Good. They will not let Matthews go for less than something that will break the Coyotes back totally. I mean, you noticed the Duchene-trade and how bad Ottawa looks now?
We aren't talking about Duchene, Matthews is a tier above. I don't think the Coyotes have the assets right now to be honest. I believe it would take OEL plus a lesser number 1 center. The Leafs would not be interested in picks or prospects as they are getting close so relapsing wouldn't be of interest.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Ottawa looks terrible because the team imploded, and none of that has to do with Duchenne. Had they made it into the first round, no one would be criticizing them about Duchenne. The 1st round pick would have been in the 20's. Hoffman/Karlsson/AGM (forgot his name) just destroyed this team.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We aren't talking about Duchene, Matthews is a tier above. I don't think the Coyotes have the assets right now to be honest. I believe it would take OEL plus a lesser number 1 center. The Leafs would not be interested in picks or prospects as they are getting close so relapsing wouldn't be of interest.
With Tavares, the Leafs need defense. Without Tavares, the Leafs need defense. Their forward talent surpasses Washington and Winnipeg.

Reactions: PhoenixCoyotes19

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017

And yeah, I was thinking about adding that, but I figured you noticed: and that was how much it cost to get Duchene. Getting Matthews, well, even more expensive.

It wouldn't be anything left of the team.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
With Tavares, the Leafs need defense. Without Tavares, the Leafs need defense. Their forward talent surpasses Washington and Winnipeg.
With Tavares though and Matthews the Leafs might not need as great of a defence, think Pittsburgh. I think Tavares, Matthews, and Kadri would be the best center group in the League. I also don't think Tavares is going to Toronto though. Now if the Leafs sign Tavares, doubtful, and Matthews really is unhappy I could see him going for a number 1 D and a lesser 1st line center.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
And yeah, I was thinking about adding that, but I figured you noticed: and that was how much it cost to get Duchene. Getting Matthews, well, even more expensive.

It wouldn't be anything left of the team.
The Coyotes though would be instantly better with Matthews at the cost of OEL if that center was there to give away. Stepan would be a great number two and now all of a sudden there is a lot less pressure on your D.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The Coyotes though would be instantly better with Matthews at the cost of OEL if that center was there to give away. Stepan would be a great number two and now all of a sudden there is a lot less pressure on your D.
The Coyotes would be worse in a Mathews for OEL swap. We would go from 1 top pairing D to none. Stepan is a better 1C then any coyote not named OEL is as a 1D.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The Coyotes would be worse in a Mathews for OEL swap. We would go from 1 top pairing D to none. Stepan is a better 1C then any coyote not named OEL is as a 1D.
No chance. Take a look at what the rookie did for the Leafs. A legit number 1 center is way more important than a legit number 1 D. And in comparison Matthews is a better center than OEL is a D. YOu can play with 2 or 3 sets of 2nd pairing D but it's really hard to compete without the 1 center. It also makes Stepan and Dvorak as example much better as they slot in where they belong.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Do we chase a winger in UFA? Perron? Neal?

Dman? KConn come back? Shenn? Ian Cole?

Trade candidates?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Neal will be 31 when the season starts and is rumoured to have turned down a 5 year deal at $5 million per year. Let someone else make that mistake.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Mosby

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Is KConn/Lyubushkin/Capobianco/TMurphy enough to fill the 6&7 D slots and fill in for injuries? My gut tells me yes.

Reactions: Jakey53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad